Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what y'all thought of this new VOIP thing to make your phone calls. Basically, you make your phonecalls through your internet so you dont pay anything to call, LD or not.

The only downfall - 911 access. Usually when you call 911 your address comes right up on screen and they can send the nearest fire/police/ambulance to you however if you use VOIP they waste more time trying to track your whereabouts and in some cases if you're calling 911 its urgent right?

So, do you think VOIP is a good or a bad thing?
(BTW - VOIP = Voice Over Ineternet Protocol.)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Well you still have to pay for the VOIP service, like Vonage.

My ex boyfriend had it a few years ago and he loved it, but the 911 access is a drawback. The same is true for cell phones though.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I have Vonage and I love it! Especially he bill! I have the 500 minute plan and my bill is only $18.00 a month, no matter where I call or what time! So far I haven't gone over my minutes, I really don't have that many people to call. With Vonage, there is a special 911 registration you fill out so that they can put where you live for the 911 service. Luckily, I haven't had to use it.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I also have Vonage. We had a few problems in the beginning, but now it's working fine. We also filled out the 911 registration, so I'm not too worried.

·
Registered
467 Posts
We have Vonage also. We had several months of problems with dropped calls, static, no connection. Can I just state that Comcast is NOT my favorite, but my only choice?! I left it up to DH to take care of. I was doing the baby thing in FL. It took 3 service calls for Comcast to change lines to the house now everything works fine.

When VOIP works it great, but getting a live body to answer questions didin't happen for us. Also if your internet/power goes down so does your phone.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Don't know anything about VOIP service but hubby and I have cell phones and had cancelled the land line. Back when we were working on the extension sometimes dad would go over and work by himself while we were at work. I was concerned there was no phone and was going to add a line to our plan. Someone asked me if we still had phone lines in the house. When I said yes they told me to just plug my phone back in and that even without service if you clicked the reciever button a couple of times and then dialed 911 it would go through. I've never actually tried it (that would mean I'd have to call 911) but I called our phone company and asked and they said that was true, and that it only works for 911, so i have a phone still hanging on my kitchen wall. I'd call the local phone company and see what they tell you as I think I remeber this as being true for everywhere and not just alocal thing I don't want to say for sure. Make sure you talk to someone high enough up the ladder that they would actually know and not someone just hired to take a message.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
We also have Vonage... unlimited calls, no time limits... tax included is $27/mo for us. Which is great because all of DF's family is in TN or AR and he doesnt have to wait until 9pm to call them on my cell, he can just use the house phone.
Only con about it is if you lose your power/cable, you lost your phone. If you don't have a cell, you may want to think about the pros/cons for your household.

·
Registered
426 Posts
We have it and it saves our family a ton of money because they can call us and use a local (or at least in the same country) phone number. It doesn't work all the time for us, but it's not because of Vonage, it's because of the horrible phone/DSL connection on our end. But the first month or so we lived here Dh's parents phone bill was over $300 because of calling us. Now we just pay $27/mo and we can talk to them anytime without worrying about the long distance charges.

Vonage can provide 911 service, but some areas do not have it available. We checked into it before we knew we were moving here and our area didn't have the 911 service yet. If you live in a more metro area it shouldn't be a problem, but I think some rural areas might still.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The phone that I use for my sales/tech support job is VOIP . It is always really clear. Of course, when the internet is down then the phone is down as well.

Take Care,
Susan

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I think it is great for those with reliable internet. Unfortunately for those who live in the country (like me :D ) it is not an option because of our internet.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
we have vonage too. like it bunches.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well Im just wondering if its something I should seriously look into. I dont make that many LD phone calls. Just to family and bf who live 45 mins away. My dad and I dont talk to the family all that often. We just email or walkie talkie via cell or text each other and one of us makes the phone call for max 10 mins LOL. That happens 5 times a year if even.

I call the boy and talk anywhere between and hr or two a nite depending on our schedules and days. He's not very 'pro computer/internet' to talk (using Yahoo messenger or SKYPE) plus he doesnt have the tools necessary.

Im just trying to figure out what the best option is for adjusting our phone plan to accomdate the LD calls. VOIP was one option. Switching to PRIMUS for a flat rate/month fee was another.

Right now all I have is Call Display. No plans no nothing. If I call LD within North America, I pay $0.04/min. That averages my monthly LD calls only to about $50/month. Reg phone bill + flat rate plan would = $45-50/month anyhow. Internet is already $30/month as it stands and then I'd have to add the VOIP package :(

What to do?! :drama:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts