Frugal Village Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wake Up Christians, This Is Scary

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  PrairieGirl 
#1 ·
Please watch this -

[nomedia="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JW4LLwkgmqA"]301 Moved Permanently[/nomedia]

#3 ·
Thank you so much for posting this. I have forwarded the link to about 40 people.

I do not watch Oprah as much as I used to, but I have always liked her "take" on things until now! The few times I have tuned in over the last few months, she has talked non-stop about this book called "A New Earth." She seems obsessed with it, and the author. I had joked with my dh that I thought she was going to start her own religion with this book, and it looks like I was right. Very scarey stuff.

#4 ·
I know I'm going to get flamed for this and while I don't agree with everything she says
she encourages people to love themselves and others
and I don't see anything wrong with that
while I believe that God is infalable,
man is not
God created us
we created religion

#6 ·
I see nothing frightening about this. What exactly scares you?
There IS more than one way, one path to enlightenment.
God should not be confined to a box. Why limit your understanding of God?
Jesus accepted all. Why can't you?

#7 ·
I absolutely do not mean to be disrespectful when I respond to this post. Religion is extremely personal, but I felt very strongly about what I read and then researched after seeing the video clip.

I find it interesting that this is something that you call "scary." Oprah is not denying the existence of God. She isn't turning people away from God. She is simply saying that perhaps there is more than one way to experience God's love.

Are we (read Christians) so arrogant to believe that God really expects everyone to come to Him through the same way? Does God turn away the Jew, the Muslim, the Buddhist, the Taoist, etc because they come to Him through different paths and because they have different names for Him?

That would not be a God that I would be interested in knowing.

#8 ·
I absolutely do not mean to be disrespectful when I respond to this post. Religion is extremely personal, but I felt very strongly about what I read and then researched after seeing the video clip.

I find it interesting that this is something that you call "scary." Oprah is not denying the existence of God. She isn't turning people away from God. She is simply saying that perhaps there is more than one way to experience God's love.

Are we (read Christians) so arrogant to believe that God really expects everyone to come to him through the same way? Does God turn away the Jew, the Muslim, the Buddhist, the Taoist, etc because they come to him through different paths and because they have different names for him?

That would not be a God that I would be interested in knowing.
very true, i totally agree

#9 ·
Amyboz, how wonderfully put!!! I completely agree!!!!!

#13 ·
When I watched the video I didn't feel like she was trying to deny God's existence. I felt like she was trying to teach tolerance of other beliefs.

How is it possible to know what religion is the definitive religion? I have only been exposed to different demoninations of christianity. I don't have the knowledge of other religions so who am I to say that another religion is "wrong"?.

#15 ·
I've always believed that there is no one way to reach God. I've always questioned all the religions and have come up with my own conclusion:
Although we all pray and believe in different ways, we are all praying to one God who has many faces.

I dont think what she's saying is so wrong or scary. In truth, I'm glad someone is standing up and saying that there is no one way to believe and that its a much more personal thing than just going to church.

I sometimes find Christians too closed minded when it comes to their beliefs. Arent we supposed to be the ones who welcome all with open arms? Saying that you are right and she is wrong is very closed minded, and in my opinion, goes against what is taught in the Bible.

But, to each their own.

#16 ·
As with others I think AmyBoz's response is similar to what mine would be and is well said.

I am wondering though if the "scary" comes from the vast amount of power that Oprah may weild over the such a huge number of people. Why does she need a church of her own??? I didn't research this so I'm not sure the "church" is even an actuality. Anyone with a huge following can turn the tides in many areas not just religious. Is this the vein from which "scary" stems or is it just the religion piece???

#17 ·
I agree with the OP, it is scary.... very scary.

The "why" it is scary is difficult to understand or explain if you do not believe as a "born again chrisitian". I am not debating or arguing, just going to try and attempt to explain why "we" would call this scary:

She is bringing into question the very existance of theAll-Knowing, Ever-Present, Triune God. She does this by questioning the "holiness" of God, that He is GOD, and I am not!! Hhow does she do this? By stating that there is more than one way to God. I am aware that it is only her opinion as well, she just has such power and a huge fan base, that her influence is, well, scary.

Again, not going for an argument, just trying to explain the "why" this is scary to some of us.

#18 ·
By stating that there is more than one way to God.
But what is wrong with practicing your own form of beliefs if it gets you to the same destination as another person? Why does going to Chuch on a Sunday make one person better than another who chooses to go high into the mountains and meditate in the beauty of the world that God himself created for us?

You and I still pray to the same God, even if He has a different name, but we do it in our own ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.