Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a pretty loyal CVS shopper, but as I'm home on maternity leave I thought I'd try and be more aggressive at couponing, and started looking at other drug stores. Today I decided to hit Walgreens for three deals.

1. Dickinson's products. I had a free product coupon only good at Walgreens. They had 5 different items in stock to choose from, and they were on sale (good!)
2. Scotch Brite Green Sponges. These were b1G1F, plus register rewards, plus I had a coupon and there was a mail-in rebate for a tote bag. They only had ONE package on the shelf. This is only day 2 of the sale. I HATE it when this happens - I think having only 1 when you need 2 is even worse than when they are all out.
3. Lansinoh Breastmilk storage bags - I have a coupon for $3 off 2 and I need some. They don't have the 50 count boxes, AND the price on the 25 count boxes is $1 higher than Target. I ended up just giving up on the deal.

So I feel somewhat defeated - is Walgreens always this disappointing or did I just catch them on an off week?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
That sounds pretty reflective of my experience with Walgreens. I don't shop there anymore as it is no longer close for me. But when I did the shelves would be cleared on day 1 frequently and they would never get additional stock.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I agree with all the above. I used to get awesome deals and be able to get more than 1 of something and now I can't ever get a sale item. I have even asked to place a pre order and was given the run around.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I pretty much have found that if you don't get to Walgreens early on the first day of the sale you are SOL! They are notorious for having a very limited supply of sales items. And the flyer and/or coupon generally says while supplies last.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Anytime I've ever rushed over the morning of a sale w/coupons they haven't had what I've gone for. I gave up trying to shop there.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
The other thing I had a problem with @ Wags is close expiration dates... especially on food so make sure you check closely :)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Anytime I've ever rushed over the morning of a sale w/coupons they haven't had what I've gone for. I gave up trying to shop there.
My experience too...........YEARS AGO...........guess they haven't changed. The other thing they would do is advertise a larger ounce item than what they had when you got there..........had them correct it one time, and haven't been back! WATCH THE OUNCES...SIZES!!

I have one about a mile from my house and don't even LOOK at their ad..............Rite Aid is only slightly better, but I do go there sometimes.

·
19,119 Posts
Yes, on a good day. Some days it's worse.

·
Registered
675 Posts
There are a lot of Walgreens around here and they are usually out of the sale items on the first day. I don't really look at their sales anymore.

·
Registered
960 Posts
You can see if a product is in stock via their online Website. I always check this before I go to Walgreens. Sometimes things are out of stock at my closest Walgreens, but will be in stock at other ones. I've got about 5 Walgreens within 5 miles of me. I've found that the stated inventory is accurate if you check just before you leave. Also, I think you can get a raincheck at Walgreens... not sure cause I don't think I've ever asked for one. (I wish more stores had their inventory online!)

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have always had terrible luck at walgreens as well. They never have the sale product. I always left deflated and disappointed so I gave up on them as well. The only thing I ever get there is pictures developed that I order online a few times a year.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Right now there is a walgreens being built down the street from me. CVS is a stones trow away. Will be interesting to see about prices and specials. What I am hoping is that this walgreens will have a ink cartride refilling station. Odd huh? But I would really like to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
This was my experience, also. If you don't go over there on Sunday AM, you might as well give it up. It'll all be gone. And their 'deals' are not that much of a deal to me. Maybe I don't play the game right, LOL.

Reactions: Paws

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Wags can be a rather difficult place to coupon with...That being said, there have been some times I was able to get good deals with store and manufacture coupons...but that ratio thing they've got going on truly frustrates me!
Unfortunately it's been my experience that you have to be there as soon as the store opens Sunday AM to get the really good buys....or that's what happens at our local stores. Even then, sometimes you STILL have to get a rain check...and for some reason, the mgr's don't really like to issue them.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I don't shop at Walgreens much because I just don't need much from there. But as the stocking issue, of the two closest to me, one rarely has the sale items but the other, even late in the week nearly always does and in sufficient quantity. I don't know why that's the magic store in the whole chain, but that's the one I always choose.

I really don't like the register rewards though because it forces me to go back there in a very short time frame or just toss it. If it's a big savings via the rewards, I will do it and just stock up on OTC meds or pick up almonds or something. I don't do it often.

However, the CVS is a daunting trip. Either of the two ways I pass it it would require a left turn across an extremely busy intersection, right at the light. Not worth the driving hassle and in the past when I have done, I've had the not in stock issues there. Also, every other store in town, if it's 2/$5, you can buy one for $2.50. A few years ago, I expected that there and was refused the sale price unless I bought three or four or however many it was. That pretty much put me off CVS permanently.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
The sale prices are good on Sat. before the actual sale starts on Sun., but you can't get the register rewards, those do start on Sun. But if there is a good sale price, or a BOGO you can buy those a day early which is why most stores are out of stock so early in the sale. I know at my store their truck comes in on Thurs and they are usually restocked by Fri, if not, I get a raincheck. Depending on the mgr I have gotten a raincheck for items with a register reward.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I hate to disagreed, but I have not any of the problems with Walgreens. Majority of the time, the shelves are stocked on sale day. What I don't like is how they handle a customer with coupons. Most of the sales people do know the coupon regulations and will give you a hard time. Plus, since I have a AARP card, they want me to scan after the I have handled them all my coupons. There is no policy for when you can use your aarp card. I use to maximze my savings. But on the whole I have not had many problems and when I do, I ask to speak to the manger.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts