Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 10-minute walk can do you a world of good.

When a person battles depression, there sometimes seems to be no way out of the dark hole. The last thing most people want to do is exercise for 30 minutes even though it can help make them feel better.

If a half hour of exercise seems like a marathon, take heart. A Duke University Medical Center study has found that a quick 10-minute walk may be enough to make clinically depressed people feel better.

The study, by health psychologist Kathleen Moore, involved a group of inactive depressed people age 50 and older. Before they began walking on a treadmill at maximum effort, the group took a mood test. Then they walked for eight minutes and completed the test again.

The participants showed immediate psychological changes, Moore says. Eighty-two percent said they were less tense, tired, angry, and confused after they walked. The same percentage reported feeling more vigorous.

"However, there was no control group, so we can't say for certain whether it was the exercise itself or some other factor," Moore says. The social support of the exercise staff may have made people feel better. Another study, which includes a control group, is now under way.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
I agree. Whenever I'm a bit down or feeling sorta blue, I love to just take a walk. It just perks me up, helps me to do some quiet thinking and helps me to refocus!!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I have to agree with this--I've suffered from depression ever since my younger dd was born. When I exercise I feel so good afterwards :)

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Thanks Michelle! :) I knew about this. Any exercise helps the brain to secrete Serotonin(spelling?), the hormone that makes us feel happy.

It's not always easy to do, to go walk when we are so down, but it really does make us feel good after a while. I know it helps me alot.:)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Well that explains why I feel so much better even wiothout taking the drs meds!
I am now walking the puppy 2xs a day! I love every minute of it! He is so excited to go with mom!
He is so young we do not go far, but I feel much better afterwards anyway!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts