Frugal Village Forums banner

wallet repair

Tags
repair wallet
1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Josephhgoins 
#1 ·
My wallet is falling apart. It is my first as an adult sewing project. Started off as all black twill with some purple trim. The cloth outside failed, so I replaced it with a piece of thin black chrome-tanned leather (maybe 1/8" thick). Anyhow, the seam holding the leather to the rest of the wallet has been failing for some time now and I'm thinking to actually repair it by the end of June (building table for MIL is higher in priority list) and not keep putting it off. This motivation is all your fault here at FV, so take full credit. :)

Last time I used a wide zigzag stitch, maybe 4 - 5 mm each dimension (about 1/4"). Would a wide straight stitch be better? Should I use leather needle or denim needle?

Thanks!

#2 ·
A leather needle punctures the leather differently, so it makes for a better job. Like you, I repaired my old wallet many times--one of those nylon fabric kinds with velcro closure. Finally it ripped one time too many, so I gave up mending it, and had to use it that way.

But soon I found a really nice black leather ladies' wallet at the thrift shop for only 25 cents; it was brand new and had a little blotch on it which I covered up with a magic marker. It matches my new black purse which is a New York design, which I got from the thrift shop for 25 cents also. They both look new and stylish.

#4 ·
~Wish I had some advice to give but I have no experience sewing wallets or leather. If it was me, with my current knowledge, I'd use my favorite wallet to make a pattern for new wallets. Then I'd use old jeans to make several of them to keep in reserve as they wore out. But that's me!
This tutorial may help you figure out what techniques will work for your situation. I'd love to see before and after pictures of your wallet fix! I'm very interested to see what you end up doing.~

#5 ·
I would think that a double row of fine straight stitch would be better than a zig zag, just make sure to put it about 1/8" from the edge and then the second row 1/8" from the first.

This is the standard stitch for most military items that require extra strength.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.