Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was at my local Walmart today and was shocked where there used to be 8 or 9 of some items from different companies there are now only 3 .They are trying to save on space,I was looking for Gillet men's body wash that is gone and not coming back ,some shampoo's are gone and not coming back .Great this is the only big Department store we have unless we go 60 miles north or 125 south.
My friend that works at Walmart said there will be a lot of items that will be pulled and never to be seen again sigh wish we had a Target or Kmart or some other store to shop at this is :bs:eek:h well . Are your Walmarts doing this also?

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
The reason that Wal-Mart is doing it is because most of the big name brands are being substituted for the generic stuff. Every time you buy their generic version, the brand name doesn't get purchased and as such, companies end up wasting capital on items that are being overlooked for the cheaper brands.

We still have Gilette Body Wash here (DH uses it) and there's at least twelve version of the same product.

It's just something going on in the US from what I see.

Reactions: scooby8themall

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have noticed that a few months ago. Only generic brand or del monte green beans in my area. They want you to buy Walmart brand. They are doing it in a sneaky way!!!

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Well there goes my price matching..that's how I've really beefed up my stockpile lately..This just pushes me more to stockpile what I can for now.. I've made a promise to myself to be more self suffient and rely less on buying from the stores..

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
There was an article awhile back saying store were going to consolidate by carrying less choices. Kroger has already done it and i saved a ton on their clearance. You can expect it at all stores. They will be pushing their brands too. Just another charming outcome of the economic crunch.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It will really hurt a lot here we have Rite Aid and Hannafords and they are more expensive on their products the Gillette body wash 2 weeks ago at Walmart was 3.33 - 2.00 with a coupon made it 1.33 Rite has it for 4.59 -2.00 make sit 2.59
Hannafords is 4.39 -2.00 =2.39
not much wiggle room.
FW2 maybe I'll drive 18 hours hit the sales with ya I'll bring the coupons you provide the knowledge and Boylan I like the cream flavored lol.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Yes ours is doing the same thing which is why I'm buying less at WM and more at the $ stores, RA, and my Giant Eagle. At least at the other places I can still use coupons, get rebates and use coupons, or they double coupons and I get what I want cheaper than WM's brand items. I spent a whopping $22 at WM Saturday. Just 2 years ago I only shopped at WM except meat and fresh fruit and veggies. DH can't even find socks anymore. Fine, I'll spend a little more money at the mall and get socks made in the USA. No skin off my back.:p

Cat

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FW2 funny you should mention fish when we went to Conavent (I think that was the name of the hospital) they had a fish tank and Ashlyn just loved that she would giggle and giggle .

·
Registered
497 Posts
I know it doesn't always help with price matching...but I've always been told if you go to customer service and request that they carry a certain item the usually oblige. I don't know if they do this everywhere.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I noticed this at the end of last year at our WM. In fact, it seems to be worse in the grocery section. Now , on ea. item there will be one or two national brands and the WM brand. Some items only give you WM and one other choice. I have cut my WM shopping way down.

Our WM will not order requested items. They say it is all contolled by Corp. Headquarters.

I think it is WM's way of making you choose their brand.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They will not order any thing special at ours either say it's pre -purchased by the home office .
The grocery stores will special order.
I'll just have to stock pile more and hit the big city more often (it would give me an excuse to see my family more often)
This will become a challenge using the coupons when most products disappear.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Don't think ths is happening in Canada (yet!) but the thing that made me laugh was the "trying to save on space" part! The WM in my neighbourhood is the size of a small country!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I noticed this at all stores starting about a year ago in the grocery section.

At our Wal-mart some of the items to disappear were their store brand.

They took away their store version on unsalted crackers (slot removed and filled). When they asked at our check out if I had found everything. I said no and mentioned the unsalted crackers and said I would just have to buy them at X grocery store. A month later they were back squeezed in.

Reactions: scooby8themall

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Our Walmart seems to be doing renovations or something. It looks cleaner and brighter and almost everything has been moved around...what's weird is some departments have been moved back to where they were when Walmart opened originally. They have done away with the fish in aquariums in the pet area, just ripped all of that out. Also they took out almost all of the yarn section which bugs me since I like to knit. The only other place to buy yarn is at a very expensive yarn shop owned by a doctor's wife. The fabric and sewing area was completely removed. I haven't checked brands, but it looks like they have a lot of new stuff. I think the inside of the store looks more like Target now. I don't shop at Walmart a lot anymore...I prefer Target.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I haven't read all the posts, but this article may be helpful or at least explain why some are noticing this.

Product overload: Stores are threatening to dump brands - Feb. 15, 2010

I try to shop at Walmart no more than once a month & haven't really noticed a difference on my last trip over 2 weeks ago. However, a coworker mentioned noticing something was up & I mentioned the article to her. I really prefer to shop at other stores & often can not find certain items at Walmart ever before this. Looks like I'll be spending even less there.

·
Registered
633 Posts
It's happening at our Walmart but it's the store brand that is disappearing, not the name brands. They no longer carry their brand of ranch dip, hamburger helper in the flavor I've bought for years, taco seasoning packs, family sized containers of yogurt, etc. It's all name brand now which I hate! I want my off brand products!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts