Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't you just love it when you wonder though the clearance aisle just to see what you can see and find something that was on your need/want list?
Does this happen to you often?
Share your stories.

It happened to me today
Our Grill ( like the George foreman grill) that we received about 9 years ago as a present, broke we used it a lot. We had gone shopping for a replacement but didn't like the big price tags. The second had store had some but they were all to small and so worn out looking. So we have "made do" without one.

Today, on impulse I wondered though the clearance aisle and found a george foreman grill big enough to cook 4 hamburgers at a time. I think it was over there because it was red or because it was the last one. Yippee! So I did pay twice as much as the really worn out to small ones at the second had stores but it is NEW, twice as big, and fits our needs. Yippee

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I love the clearance aisles! It is where I do the most shopping. I found polo tshirts for DFIL that were priced at $5 and when I got to the till they were only $2! Whoot! :fdance:

·
Registered
656 Posts
A few years ago, I found a long-sleeve knit shirt, and on another rack the matching pants. $1.50 each. And they have worn like iron.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I went back to work this year after a year and a half of job hunting. Money was really tight as I had to take out a third mortgage to pay for everything that broke during the time I was off work. I needed some new work clothing as I had changed sizes since I last worked in an office.

Every single thrift store I checked had a thing or two I could use. I'm also a plus size which makes finding anything even harder. Then the local designer reject store had a $4 an item sale. I easily have enough clothing to get me through next summer, even if I lose a little weight.

I also went through a trying time with a stalker who I turned into police for the things I had been told about the man by his family. Doing this difficult thing and then having everything fall into place for my new job just makes me believe someone is smiling down on me.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Working customer service has its perks.. Had two dress/winter coats returned and they were each 49 cents (clearanced) before my 20% discount. I got two jackets for the boys for 78 cents I think. One was Dockers brand and the other one was Weather Proof I think, regular prices were 39.99 each... YAY me!!

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Working customer service has its perks.. Had two dress/winter coats returned and they were each 49 cents (clearanced) before my 20% discount. I got two jackets for the boys for 78 cents I think. One was Dockers brand and the other one was Weather Proof I think, regular prices were 39.99 each... YAY me!!
What a great deal you got on the coats. Just wondering why someone would return them if they only were getting .49 cents back for them? I would have at least given them to someone. Anyway glad they did bring them back and you got them!

Reactions: Labontet

·
Registered
672 Posts
My boyfriend always tells me "you dont have to shop in the clearance section, ya know we can afford regular prices". But then his mouth drops to the floor when I find 2 dollars shirts, 1 dollars shorts, or my favorite... found 3 - 6packs of hanes undies on clearance for about 3 dollars a piece and then used a 10 dollars off purchase of 10 dollars or more and ended up only paying tax.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
jas---the people didn't get 49 cents. They still had their receipt (from probably last winter) and got their full 49.99 or what ever they paid. Granted it was in store credit, but they got full price. We have had so many people returning items like that, the district manager made a new policy for our store (only i think) that we can only take back merchandise and give a full refund with a receipt that is 90 days or less. Otherwise you get what it is selling for now. (I hope that made sense). If they had no receipt they would have gotten 49 cents.

Reactions: Judi Dial

·
Registered
378 Posts
At Walmart they had kitchen island on wheels but at $100.00 no way.I was in shopping one day and said to my husband wait I forgot Brita filters.So I run back and while looking for the Britas I saw clearance,$38.00,for the kitchen island.I was sure glad to get that.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Several years ago, I came across a table of filters that fit our refrigerator. Normally $35 each, they were marked down to $7. I bought every one they had. Unfortunately now, we're on to our last one... :(

·
Registered
672 Posts
A couple weeks ago I found a bottle of Aussie shampoo for 1.48 and a bottle of Herbal Essences shampoo/conditioner for 1.68 in the clearance section at Target. I happened to have two 1.00 off coupons for Aussie and Herbal Essences so I paid .48 and .68 plus tax. I found the SAME exact bottles on the regular shelf for regular price. These were not old bottles, older labels/designs or even older formulas.

·
Super Moderator
20,731 Posts
My husband found peanut butter for .99 per jar and only bought three. (He's was trying to stay with the recently imposed Rule of One, but that's only for snack foods). I told him to get more so he bought another few. He wasn't thinking big enough, so long story short, we ended up with 24 jars. That should last us at least a year and save us at least $30. As a bonus, the lids fit pint canning jars so I'll save at least another $12 on the plastic lids I won't be buying for the jars now.

We always look for clearance stuff. It's amazing what we run across sometimes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was looking through clearance racks at target when I found a denim skirt in my size marked down from $45 to $5. I can rarely find deals like this in Australia, so it was great.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
That happened to me during the recent rainy season! I really wanted rain boots, but wasn't going to pay $25 for them. One day while browsing through Target I found a pair in a pattern I hadn't seen before on the 30% off shelf but they had no tag. I took them to the front and found out they were only $4.98. Someone bought them online and returned them because they didn't fit, but they fit me perfectly and the price was right!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
In the last couple of weeks i have purchased off the cleareance racks and have found
a winter coat
pair of cordroys
two sweaters for winter
five shirts spring/summer type
2 hooded sweatshirts
a black cardigan sweater
a spring/fall jacket

I also had either gift cards and coupons to present when i got to the register

·
Registered
960 Posts
My best clearance find was over a year ago. I found two of those outdoor self-supporting standing metal basketball hoops with net, in an unopened box, regular price over $125, for $35. Then when I went to check out, they rang up for less than $25 each.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have been looking for a tan trenchcoat for 2 years now. I've looked at thrift stores, Old Navy, Nordstrom Rack, online, etc, and found nothing that was exactly right. On a whim I wandered into H&M this weekend, and found a coat IN MY SIZE, in the exact style I wanted, for only $20! It was originally $49.99. I will have to spend some on alterations (it's a little too long for me) but still a great deal.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.