Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need encouragement. :wall:

I really want to learn to quilt!

I have a brand new sewing machine that I got for Christmas, still sitting in the box it came in. I have only sewn very minimally in my life; last year I made three beanbags and stitched up a loose hem on my "old" sewing machine (a fifty-year-old hand me down that constantly messed up; of course, that may have been me). I sew everything else by hand (minor repairs, loose buttons, etc).

I dream of making beautiful quilts, but for some reason am afraid to touch my new sewing machine! I think I'm afraid I'll mess up or something. I don't know how or where to start.

Anyone have any ideas/encouragement/advice? Any websites for sewing and/or quilting that are very beginner oriented? I googled it, but the results are overwhelming, so thought I'd ask here if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Have you looked for sewing classes in your area? I know our military base offers them, as well as the sewing machine repair place. Maybe call your local craft store (michael's, jo-anns, etc) and see if they know of places that offer classes?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Are there any quilt shops in your area? Everyone I've been been in has been very friendly and willing to help. Most quilt shops or Joann's, etc, have kits all made up with the fabric and instructions all together and you could just buy that and get started. Another idea is you can order pre-cut squares off of E-Bay and just start sewing them together. In strips, then sew the strips together and before long, you will have a quilt. If you look at any of the fabric shops on line, they are usually called Charm Packs.

Quilting is great! Just a warning though, it can be addicting! :hurray:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the input!

I do have a Joann's nearby. I should probably visit and see what they've got to make this easier. Classes are kind of out of the question since I have two young children.

(If this is as addicting as paper crafts, I'm gonna be broke. :lol: )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts