Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
risky behavior = bad things happen .
alot of people get hurt and killed trying to get to church in an snow storm - i dont hate God or snow - i hate the fact society has lost its common sense !!

IE guy on news today got trampled he has previous spinal/ back injury issues was sent to er and home on pain killers etc
really ..hmm....hellooo where is your common sense buddy , why would you place yourself front in line at a black friday store that has electronics on sale - if you know you are not in good health -
i am sure he will sue the story and get his christmas and many more for free - do they get to sue for his lack of common sense ??

i am 4'11" - i have fibromylagia- i would never go to anything where i might be pushed and shoved - if i did and was hurt would be my own stupid fault for placing myself in that position !!

and i love the fools that buy high $ stuff put it in their car right in back seat where everone can see - or throw a blanket over a large screen TV hmm wonder what that huge rectangle under the blanket may be ) and walk back to next store- duhhh why not just hand it to the theives - there are always going to be thieves out there whether due to needing $ to feed their addictions or even a need to feed their family ( sad but true)- so use common sense people !!

Reactions: jas and LuLuBleen

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:lol: I know. It all boils down to both common sense and decency for your fellow man. But I guess that $199 32 inch LCD TV and that $5 jacket doesn't count for much in that area.

Friend of mine said he saw people lined up outside of Target at 9pm Thursday night. Bleh. He and I both agreed that there's nothing out there worth camping out for. Heck, I'm an avid gamer and I love having the next game as much as anyone. But what did I do this year instead of going and camping out? I ordered mine online. :D

People should know that these days, things like that bring out the worst in others. It's a shame what society has become. It's nothing but a bunch of freeloaders or people who are willing to do anything to save a buck.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
some people do it for the fun of it its a tradition etc but they are usually not the ones trampling others

this is the first year in 17 years i didnt get up early and go to a store ( usually do macys etc where you get grandmoms buying sweaters on sale- not people running to get a TV)

and i actually missed the excitement of it - although i went to macys this AM at 9 because the coupons for 10 off 25 were good today also and cant be used on specials anyway .

my older dd went with friends to a mall that opened at 12M friday AM and they went for victorias secret sales- she is not the type who likes to be pushed etc and sure enough her friend ran in picked up what she wanted got in line and paid and called dd from outside the store - my dd was was looking at the bras she said you would think they were free the way people were acting .she just left her stuff and walked out when she was shoved one time to many without an excuse me or sorry - ..but when i told her i went to VS to get stuff for her and it was empty and the BF sale was still the same prices today - she was NOT happy LOL

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
my kids know i will never camp out BF for something - but i still had a wii the first year it came out and a DS the first year it came out by knowing what my kids like before they ask for it and getting on game stops mailing list so i was notified when some came in or a day in october when they would take pre-orders long before some would be thinking about it .

·
Registered
906 Posts
I called my DH crazy yesterday for leaving the house to go to the mom and pop hardware store to buy a tube of caulk. It did turn out that the checker was very lonely and happy to see him but just a few blocks away it was crazy.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think what it boils down to is that too many people embrace the consumerism of the holiday. It's not really a holiday if you're stressing out over materials items or willing to hurt someone else to get the item that you'd like to have. I can see the ones who go out for fun and don't act that way. But sadly, it's the others that turn the entire day into an unnecessary fiasco.

I haven't even started doing my shopping and it's bad enough around here all year round. The stores here have started putting items out even before Halloween to give others a head start, plus there's the 'Boxing Day before Christmas' sales. Even on Boxing Day, I won't go into stores. DH waits until it's 2am on Christmas Eve to go to Wal-Mart to get the items he wants. :lol: I drag him out the week before Christmas to stores to do my final gifts, but I'll go during the day when everyone's at work to do my shopping. I avoid the mall on the weekends at all costs. This year, I was told that outerwear corsets would be on sale around now and that's the one thing I want the most... for myself. Haha.

I just find it a shame that even with people getting hurt like this, the store owners and those they hire to protect can't bother protecting the customers from the ones who can't control themselves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use to work in the mental health field and my client that I was working with at that time decided she had to go shopping on BF. Needless to say it was a terrible day. My client was handicapped and in a wheelchair she weighed around 300 pounds and she suffered from mild mental retardation. She wanted to go to Target and the mall. We got to Target and there were no handicapped parking spots to be found. I could not get her out at the door & leave her until I found a parking spot, due to her mental disability so we drove around for over an hour trying to find a parking space. We ended up having to park on the grass curb divider at the end of the parking lot that separated the parking lot from the road. It was very hard getting her off & on that curb in that wheelchair. When we reach the parking lot area where the handicapped parking spots are I got so mad when I saw a healthy person with no physical disability pull into a recently vacated handicapped parking spot, hang the disability tag and jump out of the car..... GRR!!! I saw red and black polka dots! Inside the store was a nightmare. Trying to maneuver the wheelchair down those crammed packed isles with rude and inconsiderate people was a nightmare. I was really glad that my client ended up spending all of her $ at Target and that I did not have to take her to the mall!!! I know that probably sounds selfish but it was such a physical strain and so stressful (I do not like large crowds) that I was praying for my shift to end.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
The way I look at it is a statistical POV. How many millions were out shopping and how many reported injuries/"stampedes" were there? The media pounces on any incident and runs with it. Never mind the thousands/millions? of people who had a pleasant BF experience. That doesn't sell. Blood sells.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
The way I look at it is a statistical POV. How many millions were out shopping and how many reported injuries/"stampedes" were there? The media pounces on any incident and runs with it. Never mind the thousands/millions? of people who had a pleasant BF experience. That doesn't sell. Blood sells.
That, exactly. Aside from the fight there isn't really too much to me that says that these people are greedy or uncivilized. Even the fight could have happened any day of the year with almost no press. The "trampling" sucks, but obviously the people in back didn't realize what was going in in front. I don't think anyone intentionally smooshed anyone else.

And the towing? BFD. Stinks but I don't even see how that's black friday related aside from the day it was on.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Our Black Friday experiences have always been pleasant. I've never been shoved or pushed. Maybe because I'm not going for the big electronic item:shrug2:?

We had a nice time this year. We got to visit with some other shoppers in line, got some ideas for gifts for the hard to shop for and I got to catch up with my girlfriends. :vibes:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
My sister and her husband went to the local walmart for the third year in a row to get whatever they thought was a good deal on a tv. They said there was no pushing, shoving, fighting, nothing. They got up about 20 minutes before the store opened, walked in, got the tv, walked out, and were home in no time. Black Friday violence seems to be exaggerated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.