Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... we got Tyler a little potty and he has started to sit on it while I go potty. But he has no clue what he's supposed to do. :laugh:
Maybe he's not ready. I just figured we'd mess with it and make it fun... and if he happens to go then we will make a big deal!

So... What are your tried and true potty training secrets, tips, tricks, and hints?

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
My dd was almost 3 when she mastered potty training. But she did really master it all at once with almost no accidents after that. My tip would be lots and lots of patience. Make sure you take him and get Dave to take him, whenever you go and show him that there is something in the potty. (that just sounds gross). Good luck and please don't sweat it if he takes a while.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
The best tip I can give you is not to push him, but to let him train himself. Let him watch Dave and he'll quickly get the message, if hes ready. Keep his potty where he can see it and if he wants to sit on it, take his diaper off. Even if he does nothing, its okay. If he does, give him a little treat. If he is old enough for M&M's, they work perfect!!! (I use to cut them in 1/2 and give them 1/2 until they ate it, then the next 1/2.)

Boys do take a bit longer to train than girls I found, but surprisingly when kids are ready, it only takes a couple of days.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
No pull-ups!!! Too much like diapers.

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
With katie...we had her sit on it every morning and every night before a bath and anytime during the day she asked to.
She would still wet her diaper and would NOT poop in the potty.She would literally scream if I knew she was pooping and took her in there to sit. She wouldn't use the potty and soon as I put the diaper back on..she'd poop.
Once we got the swimming pool,I said no one could get in if they pee peed in the pool and no one could wear diapers to swim in...she was potty trained that week LOL!!!
She does however wear pull ups at night and doesn't have a problem with confusing them with Diapers and most mornings,she wakes up dry :D

Jackson is still to young.He'll sit,but like tyler,he has no clue as to what he should do. I would love for him to be potty trained before the baby arrives,but I don't see it happening.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
With Nicole, we used to just put the potty chair in the living room and give her Kool Aid or juice. She would just sit there drinking and watching tv until she finally peed, then we would celebrate it. We would dump it out in the toilet and she sould say, I'll do it. I think that let her know what it was

With the boys after they got the general idea (they sat down first of course) then we would put a cheerio in hte toilet to help them aim, I just kept them in a little jar in the bathroom.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone!
I still say he isn't quite ready yet... and I'm in no hurry with him. We are just going to make it fun and sit him on it when we go and see what happens.

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
Just to add....both my girls were not fully potty trained till they were 3 years old,so I know not to even bother with trying so hard with Jackson. If he's in diapers this time next year..then thats ok :)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
I second Michelle on the pull ups. My dd won't use the potty and I think the pull ups make it not bother her. We tried to switch back to diapers and she will ot leave them on when she poops in them. Other tham that everybody is right don't push. I did with my dd#2 and I regretted it. A good tip for boys if they want to use the big potty sit him on it backwards it will be more like he is standing and it won't cause the wall to get sprayed!

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Angelee! Thats a good tip.

I'm not going to get to hyped up about it... just let it happen. He wanted to sit on it just now when he got up from his nap, but nothing happened. :)

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Sherry, I just plunk them in the litter box and hope for the best! :laugh:

I know my twisted sense of humor! :p

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL Diana.... you're bad!! :laugh:

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I'm sorry Sherry, I couldn't resist! :laugh:

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's ok.... thanks for the laugh!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
You couldn't have asked this at a better time!We started potty training bubba yesterday!He's been showing signs of being ready for a month(he'll be 2 saturday).We got him some cotton training pants and some Mickey underwear(if he does good he gets to wear these to Disney World.Yesterday he had 3 accidents,but pottied in the potty 6 times.Today no accidents in his pants so far,but he did poop on the floor right next to the potty(I have no idea why he likes doing this)But anywho I'll ask him about every 30 min or so if he has to go and if he says yes we go(trying to let him have total control over this)The first time he sat there fo 30 min with nothing,so if I know he's about to go(easy to tell on boys)I'll get a lil cup of warm water and poor it on his wee wee.We have a big celebration afterward with a reward.I still put him in a diaper during the night and naptime.

With Lauren we used the naked method(I hope its obvious why i didn't choose this way with Cannon)the first time she peed down her leg that was it for her and she's been potty trained ever since.I totaly agree with Michelle DO NOT USE PULLUPS! They are just a really expencive diaper.Even after Lauren was potty trained for a year during the day we still put her in these at night and when she would wake up she would be dry and then 20 min later poop and pee in it.So when Cannon was a week old I let her wear training pants to bed(with no plastic)she wet her bed twice and that was it.I started Lauren when she was 2 1/2 simply because she didn't show signs then.Cannon is totaly different and wants to do it now,so I'm letting him.Be paitent and if he decides he wants to try give it a whirl.

·
Registered
895 Posts
My dd just turned 2 and is showing interest in the potty. She will tell me when she's popped in her diaper and sometimes when she pees. When we go out she points out all the bathrooms and says "mommy bath". During the day I announce "Oh mommy has to go pee pee and she goes with me. So I'm thinking this summer we'll go for it but for now I'll pick up a toilet ring so she can sit on the potty in the morning and before her bath. That is how I trained my ds. I'll only use pull ups at night and underwear during the day. I just plan to clean up lots of messes and wash lots of underwear. :rolleyes: This too shall pass. :)

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks you guys. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts