Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I realize that sometimes when you are typing away grammar seems to go by the way side, only to see after you sent a message or post that you sound really horrible and corrections need to be made.

Lately I find myself wanting to correct people when they say things such as, "You no have change.", "Where you from?", "I ain't doin that!", etc. It really has started to get on my nerves. Sure, I realize that english may be a second language to some people but I am pretty sure it is not all the time.

Does anyone else find it frustrating at times to speak with someone and constantly feeling as if you need to correct them? Today I went to get some paperwork done and could not believe the sentences coming out of the persons mouth who was helping me.

Yup, I see the typo in my heading. lol

·
21,852 Posts
As long as I can understand the message - I don't care - if I notice it I'd rather let it go. However, it does irritate me when I see grammatical and spelling errors in the writings of professionals - school personnel, offices of organizations - and signs in stores!!

·
Registered
10,871 Posts
Which typo do you see?

I count 2.

Reactions: Josephhgoins

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Most of the members of my family have horrible grammar. I guess I'm used to it. I know some extremely intelligent people who just happen to go follow the examples set by the people around them.

At one point I even started letting my grammar slip in protest of the ridiculously picky grammar nannies that I come across online. :laugh:

(Not to say that you're a grammar nanny. I know it's different when you're talking to someone in real life.)

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Which typo do you see?

I count 2.
You're not talking about punctuation, are you? I don't think that counts. Thread subjects don't really have to be in complete sentences. :whistle:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I get googly over third person singular v.s. subjects.

It don't matter. (Meaning - It do not matter.) Subjects (not good grammar)
It doesn't matter (Meaning - It does not matter) Third person singular

The only one I correct is my DH because, if he uses it in a business setting, it may give what he says less merit.

My written grammar is terrible, I totally flunked the sentence diagramming in grade school.

·
Registered
10,871 Posts
You're not talking about punctuation, are you? I don't think that counts. Thread subjects don't really have to be in complete sentences. :whistle:
"Wanting to correct someone's English"
Missing possessive pronoun on someone.
Failure to capitalize proper noun.

Reactions: Josephhgoins

·
Registered
811 Posts
Well, maybe like me, they type the way they actually talk.. Not everyone is highly educated or like me, just don't care and am enjoying myself...

On this site I am a little more cautious with how I phrase things, but it's still me ;)

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
"Wanting to correct someone's English"
Missing possessive pronoun on someone.
Failure to capitalize proper noun.
Maybe what she meant was that she was correcting someone who is English? In that case, there's only one typo. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
My spelling stinks and I know it. Sorry but I'm not going to worry about someones writing skills.If i can understand what they are asking or trying to say no big deal. Maybe there is a reason why they don't spell well.
But I will say it does get on my nerves when I hear people that talk slang. I can understand if you have not lived in the U.S for long and sometimes it's hard to use the proper words in sentence. But if you were born and raised here and your spelling sucks you can still speak in a proper way.

·
Registered
10,871 Posts
Maybe what she meant was that she was correcting someone who is English? In that case, there's only one typo. :laugh:
Oooh, very good point!

So in that case it's more a question of telling them to stop abusing the u by inserting it where it has no business. :)

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Oooh, very good point!

So in that case it's more a question of telling them to stop abusing the u by inserting it where it has no business. :)
A valid complaint! She'd have to have mad linguistic skills though in order to detect that in the spoken word.

·
Registered
10,871 Posts
The letter u was not inserted in words by the English, it was removed by the Americans, so I'm afraid it is not the English who need to be corrected.
There are more of us and we saved their arses in two wars - so we get to decide what constitutes proper English now.

SO THERE!

Reactions: Syn D

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
As someone who has spent hours conjugating sentences and tutoring grammar in college to order be certificated to teach English, I think their are several different grammar rules of how to do something and they often disagree with each other.

Example: How do you make Jesus possessive? I know two different rules for this and both give different answers.

Another Example: When is the word "done" used properly. My teachers and my mother growing up disagreed on this one. I was constantly getting in trouble for using the word "done" improperly until one decided to stop correcting me. Proper usage and common usage are quite different things.

I also have found that my computer will often disagree with me on words and ask them to be changed.

I feel that there are so many different rules of grammar and varied answers that in an informal setting, there is no real purpose in correcting or debating the rules unless a debate is what you want.

Don't even get me started on the indentation rules of different types of letters and the medium used to convey the letter.

As for me and my fingers, my fingers do not always listen to my head. They have a mind of their own.:whistle:

Reactions: Judi Dial

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
The only time I become really annoyed is when a poster makes it a point over and over and over to say they are a school teacher only to turn around and make grammatical errors, have poorly written sentences, wrong word usage and/or spelling mistakes. For example, using the word "ain't", not using basic punctuation, not capitalizing properly, using "lose" when it should be "loose", etc...

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
okay everyone try this

Can you read this paragraph?

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

Can you read this? | Learn English To find the corrected paragraph

Hubby and I can read it.
Buddy who was taught reading by whole language can read this
Little Miss who was taught reading by phonics rules can not

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.