Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a "One day pass" to Sam's Club in the Wal-mart ad I received in the mail last week. I have been a member in the past, but not currently. Since we have a brand new chest freezer that was waiting to be filled, off we went to Sam's Club.

I was surprised by how high some of the prices were! I can do so much better by stocking up on sales and using coupons. When we checked out, I had 8 items in the cart (all food), and the total was $70!!! My dd was so astonished! She kept saying "We are NEVER coming here again, mom!" She is used to us getting 8 or 10 bags of groceries for $70. The items we got yesterday filled one small box!

To be fair, this did include 5 lbs. of seafood, (three pounds of salmon fillets, and two pounds of jumbo cocktail shrimp) but still, YIKES! Other items were a large jar of cocktail sauce, 20 oz. container of seafood seasoning blend, 16 ct. package of hotdog buns, 4 lb. tub of red potato salad (these last two items were for a cookout we were having Sunday), a 16 ct. package of low-fat sorbet and creme frozen novelties, and a box of six frozen philly cheesesteak sandwiches for DH's work lunches. That is it! I feel bad for getting the salmon and shrimp. They were offering samples of both, and we are seafood lovers at my house! The salmon was cooked with the seasoning blend, so I "had to" buy that. LOL. Same with the shrimp and cocktail sauce. Never go to Sam's Club hungry! We could smell the salmon cooking when we walked in the door. I said, "Mmmm, smells like they are cooking salmon!" dd added, "With lemon and herbs!" We followed our noses to the source of the smell. We were both right. We are cooking salmon for dinner tonight. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I found the same thing. Last year during my quest for slashing my grocery budget, I joined sam's club. I found I could get things cheaper (and much closer) at my local grocery stores with coupons and sales. Live and learn.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
We go to Sam's about once a month, maybe a little less. For some things-- such as bulk chicken and pork, we find it cheaper. For other things, the convienience factor wins out-- buying a case of juiceboxes, for example-- sometimes it comes out a little cheaper that way, sometimes it's just easier to buy in bulk. Then, there are still other things that we know are cheaper in the grocery store, so we don't get them at Sam's.

·
27,948 Posts
Pays to know your prices. I shop different stores for different things & Bj's is one of my stops.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I know what you mean about the prices. Usually to buy one item, it's going to cost you at least $5. For a large family, Sam's is probably great! There is just two of us so we rarely go grocery shopping there. I have a membership that I use to stock the school store with junk food. While I'm in there, sometimes I buy a few things. Their photo processing is a good deal though, and usually the gas prices are a few cents cheaper. I don't think I'd buy a membership if it was just for the two of us. I share mine with my sister. We get two cards and she has one of them.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I find better deals at my grocery store and Aldi's and even Ollie's Bargain Outlet.

·
Registered
933 Posts
i love the sams club in whichita falls. (we get free membership thru my husbands work.) i use alot of flour, bread flour, noodles, brown sugar and could get all these things at our sams for 4.88 and under. the sams in sherman was a different story. i couldnt believe the price difference for the same items. first time we went i got an entire shopping cart full of stuff for 90. so i guess it depends on what part of the country your in, i make it a point to go at least once a month now.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I live alone, so I don't use Sam's/Costco for food, but I do use it to stock up on paper products, trash bags, etc. I haven't found better prices elsewhere. I have a friend who has a membership at both, so I just tag along and add my items in - no membership club fee! :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
I agree, i.m.cheap. In all my years of homemaking, I've been to Sam's maybe twice and I just don't see the point of going. I have to drive several miles to get there, and it just doesn't seem worth it to me. I can do better elsewhere.

·
Registered
552 Posts
We belong to Sam's Club, but I only go there for certain items. I buy oil for our cars, for example. We use an expensive sythetic oil, and it's cheaper to buy a case at Sam's than to buy the quarts individually at another store. I buy my ground beef there. I can get 90% lean beef for much cheaper than my local grocery stores. I buy frozen fish there. Seafood is expensive here in Dallas since we're not coastal, and I can buy frozen seafood at Sam's much more cheaply than other places. I buy birdseed for my feeders there, too. They have the shave gel I use much cheaper than at Walmart. Some OTC meds are way cheaper there, while others aren't.

I've learned that other things are rarely a bargain. Soft drinks aren't cheaper, cereal isn't cheaper, clothes detergent isn't cheaper, etc. You really just have to watch prices both there and at other stores, then figure out who has the better deal.

G

·
0 Posts
Our Sam's club is called BJ's... go figure. You REALLY have to know your prices. DH shops there all the time... thinks he gets great deals.
I try to show him my price book to compare ounce for ounce. He just feels that the package is bigger-therefore he shops less- therefore he spends less.

Further, you can only use one coupon for a huge box of widgets. Even though it has 3 'boxes' of widgets in it.

Whereas the smaller widgets, despite it's smaller packaging (landfill problem) goes on sale, and you can use a coupon for each individual little widget. Thereby making the grocery store/pharmacy/Aldi's a cheaper way to go.

·
Registered
352 Posts
We love our Costco, the prices are so much better than the grocery stores in our area. The membership ends up being free after we get our yearly 2% back rebate.
Food and other items are much higher here so there is a tangible difference in cost for us- family of 5, 2 dogs and a cat.
During the terrible rains weve been having we didnt go for a month and my budget went up shopping at our local grocers :(

We use to shop Sams but Costco always turned out to be a better deal all around for us.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
There are only a few things I buy at Sam's Club. But they do even out with the membership fees. Eggs in the 7.5 dozen boxes are cheaper (for me) than the eggs in the grocery stores or the commissary. Not to mention I'd have to buy three to four 18ct eggs just so I wasn't stopping for eggs every week.

Bananas are 3lbs for 99c. Can't beat that with a stick anywhere else. Except maybe Aldi for 25c/lb...but those are hit or miss. Not worth my time to go specifically to Aldi only to find the bananas are green or full of fruit flies.

We also love the Sam's Club pizzas (from the deli) take & bake. Yum! For $7 it's cheaper than Pizza Hut :D

Other things we have bought/will continue to buy at Sams:
-mattresses
-printer cartridges
-DVDs
-video games
-books

And I love to shop their clearanced aisle. We got our Snowblower there a few years ago. It was the floor model & without the instructions, so we got it for $300 off the MSRP. And the instructions were printable off the internet.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Someone mentioned gas prices are cheaper at Sam's - and this is my mini-rant about that: You can't pay for gas with cash. Credit card only. I use the envelope system, so I can't/won't buy gas there. I think they should HAVE to take cash. ok - end my mini-rant

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
MandiDawn said:
Someone mentioned gas prices are cheaper at Sam's - and this is my mini-rant about that: You can't pay for gas with cash. Credit card only. I use the envelope system, so I can't/won't buy gas there. I think they should HAVE to take cash. ok - end my mini-rant

Doesn't the Sam's gas station also take Walmart/Sam's Club gift cards? Why not use your cash to get a gift card so you can get the cheap gas at Sams? The Sam's here doesn't have gas, nor does our Walmart. I miss that about the south....

·
Registered
352 Posts
Its similar at Costco, you cant pay cash directly. We buy the Costco cash cards at the register and they can be used to purchase gas (they have those card readers). Generally speaking the gas is less at Costco, theyre a ways away though so we dont always buy there.

Another thing I find there is the 25# bags of all purp & bread flour. I use to buy 50# bags at a food supply place but prefer the smaller sizes for quicker turnover.

One thing I havent been lucky with is the appliances. We've not had good performance from the Costco branded washer & frige we bought, even though they were made by a major brand for them.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I'm single and I love Costco. Their rotisserie chickens are only $4.88 and they are huge compared to the ones in the grocery store. I get 4 meals from it, plus soup! Also I have found that their sugar and flour is cheaper and I have a rice cooker and you can buy 20 lbs of rice for $8.00. Being single, it lasts me a long time and I have rice a couple of times a week. Also, I compared the vitamins and Excedrine with coupons and at costco, and it's much cheaper to buy them in large quantities at Costco, than even with coupons. I also agree with the bananas. I got 4 lbs for $1.30. Ate some, made banana bread with some and froze some. Their dog biscuits are a pretty good deal also, and with 3 large dogs, I go through alot of them!!

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
We are members at Sam's and there are things there that we definitely cannot purchase cheaper elsewhere. Some of the things we buy...

- contact lens and saline
- cd's
- cat food
- freezer bags
- yeast
- vinegar
- baking soda
- pure vanilla extract
- olive oil
- tilapia
- organic apples
- organic pasta sauce
- organic sugar
- organic coffee beans

·
Registered
693 Posts
We are a family of 5: 2 adults 1 cat and 2 large breed dogs.
We shop costco every week, and are Executive members....
We buy:
Contact lenses
shampoo
dishwasher soap
laundry soap
paper products
pet food/bedding/treats
water
food
meats
We aslo get coupons from Costco and save even more!
:grwave:
We did try Sam's Club but went back to Costco
DH bought tires there and we also buy gas there.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I stopped shopping at BJs

When we needed formula, we used a free membership.

But I stopped going there after we stopped using formula.
The reason being, my bill at the end of the trip was huge.
Because everything is sold in such mass quantity, every item costs big bucks and just put a few things into a cart and you've spent tons. So especially when I go into justification mode, the total was just way too big regardless of whether it was cheaper or not. And since I didn't do all my grocery shopping there, I was now making extra trips to a store. And sad to say, the best way to keep me on track is to keep me out of stores.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts