Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have it from reliable sources that Christmas has been scheduled for December 25, 2010.

I thought everybody might like to know, so it doesn't sneak up on you... wouldn't want you to have to dip into your emergency fund for it or... GASP... break out the PLASTIC.

We don't do that around here!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Thanks for the reminder! :)

I recall some sort of memo back on Dec 26/09 and managed to save up my 2010 Christmas fund which should hopefully cover everything from craft supplies, baking supplies, packaging and gas travel money. *knocks on wood* That's including the soon to be extended family too! :)

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Don't remind me.

Christmas is the only time of year I wish I were Hindu. Or Buddhist. Or something. :bolt:

Translation: Love Christmas. Hate the way we, as a society, celebrate it. :ponder:

·
Registered
719 Posts
I decided last week that this year, all gifts are going to be homemade. Period. End of story.

I'm doing candles that I'll pour in various glass jars and containers found at a thrift shop for .25 each. (3 family members will get these, one on my side and one on either of BF's sides)

An oil painting (I paint, so this won't be a disaster lol and I already have the supplies.)

A clock made out of a circ. saw blade that someone here posted a link to in another part of the forum.

Peanut brittle in an X-Mas tin.

A wooden puzzle that I'll paint a different picture for on either side of the blocks (this if for a 3 year old.)

Burnt DVD's..ahem..completely legitimate ones I assure you :wink:

I think I'm even going to make homemade catnip toys for the cats using scrap fabric from the craft store.

I figure we probably won't spend more than $75 on X-Mas this year. Oh, and as far as buying gifts for each other, I think we're going to skip that too since we'll be buying a new(er) car.

·
8,714 Posts
~I don't know how you all handle the stress of having to plan all year(or even part of the year) for one holiday. It's really that great? I didn't grow up with it so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. Well, except the budgeting, thinking and planning, shopping, crafting, spending, decorating, cooking, baking and socializing.
I'm busy enough with ds's b-day on the 25th and mine on the 26th and dd's on the 27th.~

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I've been thinking about Christmas the last few days. Usually we save up to so we can splurge on Christmas. Not going to happen this year. Too many unexpected expenses this summer.

The last couple of days I've been trying to decide how much to "downsize" this year. I needed the reminder to just decide already!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was really hoping that Christmas was going to be cancelled and possibly rescheduled for the Spring of '11. we spent a small fortune on Little League tournaments for ds this summer :censor: now we are trying to rebuild our savings....don't wanna think about Christmas :shhh:

·
Registered
904 Posts
I was reminded of this 2 weeks ago when I went into Dollar tree and the decorations and cards were out.

I plan to start the cards by the end of September and get them ready to go.

I was looking so forward to it this year, because I had no money to spend last year. Thanks to work, I won't have any money that I will be willing to spend this year as well.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Right after the kids head back to school. I can shop by myself so I start picking up a present here and there. I have several people to buy for so I think a head.

I was really excited to see new games in the toy section. (Small things make me happy).

There should be new toys in the toys section soon for Christmas. Like to get the ones I want before they are hard to get. Also new toys means the old toys go on clearance. :)

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Are we absolutely sure we can't just IGNORE it. I like cutting a tree dragging it home,scratching the van. Argueing over how far up to cutit. Taking it in and out of the stand. Watching the dog drink the water. Decorating in dish gloves because I'm allergic.

I adore eating ham and tums,pasta w/ may,baking pies. Going to see people I don't like w/ annoying kids who think they can talk any way they like to adults.

But I hate gift buying and wrapping. Can't I hand out a few checks. HO HO HO. pfft.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I LOVE Christmas! Love the Christmas concerts, the Christmas plays, Christmas Eve supper at my in-laws.

I like baking Christmas cookies while listening to Christmas music and watching our boys put up the Christmas tree. The eggnog, the simmering spices, the aroma of brown sugar wafting from the oven....it's all so perfectly wonderful!

Can't Wait For Christmas!!!

I started planning on Dec. 26th, 2009. I set aside $100 for Christmas presents for 2010. Shopped all year long for DEEP clearance items. I'll be making candy & jerky (not much) mostly for my guys & in-laws. Off the top of my head I believe we have 27-29 people to bless with a gift. I committed to spending no more than $100 for Christmas 2010, and dang if I'm not pulling it off! I've got my list, I've checked it more then twice...I'm good to go!

Thanks Greebo!

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I cancelled Christmas this year on account of not having enough money. Buying the house is already enough stress. I don't need a holiday on top of that so close.

We don't make that big of a deal out of it up here but the thought of spending that much money all at once sort of makes me nauseous. It does, however, give me one glimmer of joy:

I get to go to the indoor water park at West Edmonton Mall during the process.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I'm taking all my non-extistent charge cards to the nearest non-existent mall and buying up all the nonexistent things that I really, really want.

Reactions: cab54
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.