Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of weeks ago, I went to the store to return an item that I had purchased using my credit card. Since return amounts have always been credited back to my credit card, I didn't look carefully at my receipt, and thought the $20+ had been credited back to my credit card, as usual. Today I got my credit card statement, to pay my bill (not relevant to this, but I always pay it in full) and did not see the credit on it. I got out my receipt, and the receipt shows I was paid IN CASH! So apparently the cashier paid herself $20!
I called the store and they are "looking into it", but I don't have high hopes of getting my money back. Just a warning for those who do use credit cards, to check your receipt before you leave the store!

·
Registered
319 Posts
That sucks!

I could be wrong, but if your receipt shows you paid by cc and the refund was done in cash, I think (think!) it is a violation of their merchant agreement with the cc companies. If that's the case, you could report them to whichever credit card company it was.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Now that's really bad. Are people so hard up they would do this. I agree, call your credit card company the store/employee may be in violation of your credit card agreement.

Reactions: RaineyDaye

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That is horrible. The store should be able to track which emplyee did the return by the information on the receipt.

·
27,948 Posts
Bummer! Hope you get this straightened out. Thanks for the heads up.:)

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Sorry this happened to you, I am sure your receipt shows which terminal was used and which cashier it was, they need to investigate.

On that note, maybe the cashier made a mistake, I mean it COULD happen.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I hope this is resolved quickly for you.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I would call the CC company, explain what happened (without accusations) and see if they can do anything from their end. I would think that they could (but what do I know, LOL). Make it uncomfortable for the store! That's what I would do.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I agree that they can locate which cashier did it. Then they could check her till for that day and if she was $20 over, there's your $. If she was $0 over, she might have pocketed it.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update - got money back

The manager called me back since I posted this. Because I had the receipt with the date and time on it, they were able to track it. The register was over by that amount that day, so the cashier didn't pocket it. (I feel bad thinking she did...) Apparently the cash key was inadvertently pushed and she couldn't figure out why the drawer opened, which it only does when the cash key is pressed, I guess. She thought it was being credited back to my credit card. Anyway, the manager offered to drive to my house to give me the cash, but I had to be near there, so I picked it up. I do now think it was an honest mistake, since the register had an overage... I hope the cashier doesn't get into trouble.

Reactions: pecunierrant

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
That was amazingly nice of the manager to volunteer to bring you the money. I think if that happened to me they have to pick me up off the floor to finish the phone conversation.

I'm glad it worked out. When it's a cash issue, it can easily turn into my word vs. your word.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The manager called me back since I posted this. Because I had the receipt with the date and time on it, they were able to track it. The register was over by that amount that day, so the cashier didn't pocket it. (I feel bad thinking she did...) Apparently the cash key was inadvertently pushed and she couldn't figure out why the drawer opened, which it only does when the cash key is pressed, I guess. She thought it was being credited back to my credit card. Anyway, the manager offered to drive to my house to give me the cash, but I had to be near there, so I picked it up. I do now think it was an honest mistake, since the register had an overage... I hope the cashier doesn't get into trouble.
It sucks to think the worst in people, but it happens. I'm glad that your money was found!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'm glad they corrected the error and you got your money back. I really try to look at my receipts when I do return something but sometimes I'm rushing and look when I get home. Thanks for the reminder to always check.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on this, I'm glad that you were given your money back. I will make sure that the receipt is right before I leave the store from now on. Who knows? Maybe you have saved one of us a situation that might not be corrected like yours was....Thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
It's nice to see that some people are still honest.... and make honest mistakes. I am glad that you got your money back.

I know when I was working in a retail store, all returns had to be done by a manager.

·
Registered
979 Posts
That is great. And the manager offering to bring it too you - wow cool - customer service is a dying art today.

It is sad that mosts times we think the worst, but it's true lots of times.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I'm glad that it was just an error and that you got your money back. I'm glad you caught it too. :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Glad you got your money back. Go shop at that store again, or at least put in some feedback somehow of how great the customer service is! And if you run into the cashier, let her know you're okay about it all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts