Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds 25 was on his was last night to play some extreme frisbie game with some friends (don't really know how it is played). Anyway he was in a good mood and playing the music in his car. He is not disputing that it might have been a little loud.

This is what has him quite a bit annoyed. He was not speeding, had his seat belt on, not doing any thing other than the music. He does not have a super duper stero system him his car either. The car is black, it looks like it could be a sports car, but is not. It is a Pontiac G5. He has put nice rims on it and the windows are tinted.

The cop pulls him over and the first thing he asks is do you have any guns or knives in the car I need to know about? Well of course not. The cops runs everything, which of course turn out fine.
My son said and I believe him because he is polite and respectful to people that he didn't get an attitude with the cops in any way. Then when he was writing and giving ds the ticket he made him get out of the car. Usually they tell you to stay in the car.

All of this seems a bit extreme. At the very least he could have at least given him a warning, as he has never been stopped for this. He has a good driving record too. I know it is at the cops discrection as to when to give a ticket or a warning.

Don't get me wrong I know that a cop never knows what kind of person they are stopping and walking up on. I get that. Has it gotten so bad that everyone has to be treated like that even after you see who you are dealing with. I don't know. I even get that old grannys come unglued with cops.

Maybe because it was my son and I know him and that he is a decent human meaning that it would have gone a long way to getting the point across just by giving him a warning and not a ticket for 120.00. He is a full time college student who will be graduating in Dec. Still works a job, pays his bills, saving for his wedding in July.

Ds is not even saying the music wasn't loud or maybe louder than what the cop thought it should be. It just would have been nice to have at least gotten a warning since it was the first time and it is not a moving violation.

·
Registered
719 Posts
That really sucks. I'm sure there was no real "reason" he did it other than he could and maybe he was having a bad day. The thing I don't get is why did he bother to run his info. if he had already made up his mind about giving him the ticket? It's not like he was on the fence and was thinking, "Well, if his record is clean I'll let him go." Otherwise he would have done just that. So.....either your son is omitting information (not lying, just omitting :D) or the cop just felt like being a di....ahem :D. Maybe he's way below quota for the month and with only 10 days to go...he's making up for lost time lol.

Reactions: jas

·
Registered
46 Posts
Where I live, the cop makes you get out of your car, and sit in the patrol car when they give out tickets.

Maybe the cop was having a bad day, or trying to fill his month end quota. But I do agree that a ticket was a little extreme.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Police should run your info any time they pull you over, regardless if they are going to give you a ticket or a warning. That's how they catch people with outstanding warrants.

And the police don't always have discretion as to whether or not they will issue a ticket. I know the police force here can and will take disciplinary measures against an officer if they don't issue citations when they should.

I know that doesn't help you out or lessen your frustration Jas, just wanted to throw some stuff out there for clarification.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Police should run your info any time they pull you over, regardless if they are going to give you a ticket or a warning. That's how they catch people with outstanding warrants.

And the police don't always have discretion as to whether or not they will issue a ticket. I know the police force here can and will take disciplinary measures against an officer if they don't issue citations when they should.

I know that doesn't help you out or lessen your frustration Jas, just wanted to throw some stuff out there for clarification.
You're right, I hadn't considered that.

I've been pulled over several times without having them run my info. and gotten either written or verbal warnings. (Not saying it makes it right, just that it happened) I didn't know that the officer doesn't necessarily make the final call on whether or not to issue a ticket, though. Your DH does police work doesn't he McD?

I do know some states are so strict on noise regulations that if your stereo can be heard AT ALL from more than say, 25 ft., they can ticket you.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
You're right, I hadn't considered that.

I've been pulled over several times without having them run my info. and gotten either written or verbal warnings. (Not saying it makes it right, just that it happened) I didn't know that the officer doesn't necessarily make the final call on whether or not to issue a ticket, though. Your DH does police work doesn't he McD?

I do know some states are so strict on noise regulations that if your stereo can be heard from more than say, 25 ft., they can ticket you.
Yes, hubby is a police officer. He has leeway on some things, minor moving violations, etc. but on other things, they are instructed to be 100% zero tolerance. I was thinking specifically of a major firework crackdown they had this summer. Our police were told they had to write the citation regardless of quantity, situation, if they had received a complaint or not, or they (the officers) would be disciplined.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yes here it is pretty standard that they run your info just like you stated. That is not a problem, unless of course you are wanted.

That may be the case here too about the noise. There is a law about the 25ft. I would guess most people don't know about it untill they get stopped. Like ds. Maybe this police officer did not have an option, it may be manditory ticket. It just sounds like for the first time a person should be allowd to get a warning.

Normally here, unless something has changed recently, and I mean real recent. The officer tells you to stay in your car. They may make you get out for other reasons, but just generally they make you stay in the car.

·
Registered
358 Posts
DW used to work for the police (she was a civilian employee, not a cop) before she retired, and she has quite a bit of insight into what the job of a cop is like. It's a job I wouldn't want, probably the worst job in the world.

We expect an unreasonable degree of professionalism from our cops and get upset when they turn out to be human. What if, the last three traffic stops the guy made, the drivers cussed him out, or pulled a knife or tried to escape. It happens all the time. It's easy to Monday-morning quarterback and say that that shouldn't affect the next stop he makes, but it does.

I can easily see how a good cop might still decide that he is done with leniency and that from now on everyone gets the full treatment.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yes, hubby is a police officer. He has leeway on some things, minor moving violations, etc. but on other things, they are instructed to be 100% zero tolerance. I was thinking specifically of a major firework crackdown they had this summer. Our police were told they had to write the citation regardless of quantity, situation, if they had received a complaint or not, or they (the officers) would be disciplined.
They are pretty strict here about fireworks too. Now can they catch everyone. Not a chance. They are for sure dangerous and we have fire issues a lot of the time.

Do you know if it is common for them to ask everyone about guns and knives? I mean if they just stopped me for say not making a complete stop would they ask me a 49* year old woman if I have any guns or knives they need to know about?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Anyone dealing in the public safety field (fire, police, paramedic) needs to ensure their own personal safety before all other considerations. The exact way they do this will vary from one department to another, but yes it is quite likely that they ask everyone about knives and guns just for their own protection. The bad guys will lie about it of course, but cops are good as spotting the body language of lies like that.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm sorry your son was put through that.

Not for nothing, in these parts, tinted windows = drugs and or weapons.

he may have had your son out of the car so that he could monitor his activities even with the takedown lights on, it's hard to determine what is happening inside of the vehicle with tinted windows.
Also, he may have had your son out of the vehicle if there weren't other officers available for back up or if there wasn't another officer nearby, should something go wrong.

the weapons/drugs question is a very common question, especially at night.

It's good that he received a warning. Here's hoping he's never pulled over again.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I thought cops could bring up your info from the car licenses plate not just your license?

Then if your license matched who they expected to find in the car (the owner who pays for the tags) then they would of already had your info and you wouldn't have known they looked up your info.

I might be wrong or it might vary by state but I thought it worked that way.

Side story about 20 years ago I had a officer pull a gun on me at a traffic stop on the highway. I was let go with a warning and a lesson on how to use the cruise control correctly.

I figure they pulled their gun for a reason. One most likely was that it was protocol as there had be some officer shootings earlier that year and/or my car matched another car they were looking for.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Maybe they've (the police) have had a string of people pulling guns/knives OR having them in the vehicle after it's been stopped and flagged for search. Maybe the make and model and color of your sons car matched one of someone who's known to have that type of behavior. It could be any number of things. Is your son going to fight the ticket? If so I'd tell him to ask the judge or someone at the courthouse about it. Let him explain his situation. If he doesn't have any other offenses against him and is a good person they may see fit to dismiss it altogether.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Conceal weapon laws.

Florida issues permits to carry (concealed)weapons.

I'm sure you would have to identify all weapons to an officer even with a permit to carry. Maybe that make it standard practice to ask.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe they've (the police) have had a string of people pulling guns/knives OR having them in the vehicle after it's been stopped and flagged for search. Maybe the make and model and color of your sons car matched one of someone who's known to have that type of behavior. It could be any number of things. Is your son going to fight the ticket? If so I'd tell him to ask the judge or someone at the courthouse about it. Let him explain his situation. If he doesn't have any other offenses against him and is a good person they may see fit to dismiss it altogether.
Well, at the moment he feels like it. In reality probably not. He just feels (rightly or wrongly) that a warning would have been more appropriate.

You are right it could have been any number of things, other than the music. His window was down, that is another reason he may have been able to hear the music.

All these are reasonable for a police office to to, I want them safe in thier jobs too. Like another poster said he could have and a bunch of jerks the last few stops and was done being mister nice guy. It just sucks being the nice guy and getting the ticket instead of a warning. Especially when it is a big deal to pay 120.00 for playing your radio too loud.

let me say his stero is not like some of those on you see that rattle your car and all others around you. Not even close. I could for sure see the problem there.

This is me being funny, not at all serious, as I most usually listen to Christian talk radio. I would be feel a warning would be in order if say I was jammin' out to Cher, or Donny Osmond. Well maybe, now that I think about it, I should probably be arested. Anyway you get the gist.

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought cops could bring up your info from the car licenses plate not just your license?

Then if your license matched who they expected to find in the car (the owner who pays for the tags) then they would of already had your info and you wouldn't have known they looked up your info.

I might be wrong or it might vary by state but I thought it worked that way.

Side story about 20 years ago I had a officer pull a gun on me at a traffic stop on the highway. I was let go with a warning and a lesson on how to use the cruise control correctly.

I figure they pulled their gun for a reason. One most likely was that it was protocol as there had be some officer shootings earlier that year and/or my car matched another car they were looking for.
Pretty standard that they ask for your license, proof of insurance, and registration. They probably run the tags too once they go back to the car. They may even start that before they get your info. From being behind you and start with the tag.

That was harsh what they did to you. Pulling the gun.

One time several years back I was in this little town near me that is really the size of a subdivision, but they have their own police force and stuff. I didn't make a complete stop at a stop sign and I mean it seemed they brought the whole force out. Which in reality is about two cars anyway. It just seemed funny at the time. No I didn't laugh in their face. The youngest one looked scared to death.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
there is no way to know if he was given a warning before is there ??
i dont think they keep records of warnings.
not saying he had one but from the officers point of view.

in NJ they are ticketing people like crazy i think its because of cut backs from the state, trying to make up for lost money but i feel like i am living in russia or something they are hidden all over the place in small towns at hours there really isnt much speeding or crazy driving going on . i drive alot for work and see all kinds of craziness.

in fact alot of them if you have the time you could actually fight and possibly win but who has the time for that , that goes to school and has a job .

i understand trying to make up the money because they dont want anyone to loose their jobs but i am ready to move back to PA we are already overtaxed here - and now being stalked just in case we go a mile over the speed limit in a small town that has stoplights every 4 blocks or stop signs . so how fast can you really go ?

even the detective who lives across the street from me agrees it has gone really overboard .

i went thru am inspection check a few months ago and the guy waved me to go into the parking lot - i rolled down my window to ask him why - he said oh sorry, your okay i thought you didnt have a seat belt on - okay black seat belt- black sweatshirt ...BUT my shoulder starts 5" lower then the seatbelt starts - it was seatbelt and air for 5 inches at least -i do not have tinted windows he should have checked closer before waving me over .

if i had gone over there and parked waited for an officer it would have been my word against his . i would have lost and had a ticket for no reason .
both my 22 yo and 19 yo have each recieved at least one ticket since the new governer is in and made cutbacks and they made no changes in their driving / parking etc

worse is when you get a speeding ticket when you are stuck on a 3- 4 lane highway front of a truck in a middle lane that has ccrept up on you speeding and is going to hit you if you slow down - once you can finally change lanes - you do -and as soon as you do theres the flashing lights - why not ticket the speeding 18 wheeler who could ponetially cause a multi car accident ?? -

because they are too much of a danger to try to pull over across 2 lanes . so the petrified 19 yo who just wanted to get aay from it gets a 85$ ticket .

the one paying her way thru college to be a nurse-
the nurse that one day may save that officers or a colleges or family members life. hmmmmm.
oh and she is the waitress at a restuarant that doesnt charge the officers that come in for lunch - i told her she needs to leave a restaurant tee on her seat .

i have always brought up my kids to have the highest respect for the police but its kind of hard when this is going on because of $$ .

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I have been stopped twice. The first time I actually pulled over and waited until the officer arrived. I saw him tap his brake, and knew he would be turning around as soon as he could. We were on a county road, I was doing 70 in a 55.He let me off with a warning. The second time I was doing about 70 in a 55, same county road. The officer pulled me over and asked me if I knew what I was being cited for. I told him yes, and then he said," I'm not going to give you a warning. I suspect you have had plenty of breaks." I paid my ticket, although I thought it was a little harsh. But hey! I was speeding and I knew the consequences.I paid up.

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
For what it's worth, when I see a family-ish car with tinted windows, nice rims, and a stereo I'm able to hear outside of the vehicle, I instantly think of some sort of sketchiness going on.

Officers have to primarily deal with negative aspects of people. Rarely is an officer congratulating someone on something. This alone would make for a difficult job, always being surrounded by bad things. In this case, a warning may not have had the impact to your child to shape up, even if it was just a noise ordinance, this time.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.