Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did it bother you to turn 40? Did you think you were really old then? How did you handle it if that is the case.

I loved turning 40 but when I got to 50 that was a different matter. I felt so grown up at 40. :D Felt like I could take on the world. Once I got to 50, I wasn't quite feeling like that anymore (due to health I think).

How about you?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Turning 40 was no big deal to me. Turning 30, was very hard. I thought I should "be somebody" by the time I was 30, and I was still working as a waitress. I do have a better job now, but even if I was still waiting tables, that is not all I am.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
40 was not a blow to me, I married a man 12 years older, so I am still a young chick around here..........

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I'm not 40 yet, but I just wanted to say what changed my thinking... I used to be so afraid of the number 40..and mainly because most women around me voiced their opinions on 40 being just so terrible..

Guess who changed all that for me? :D Sheryl Crow! I saw her lately doing something on VH1? And they were talking about how she is 40 ..she looks and acts like a 20 year old I swear! And there is nothing fake about her..she is so real and down to earth..it's making me realize that age really is just a number and it's all about your perspective on life, and what you do with it that makes a person happy :) And staying active doesn't hurt either..BUt I LOVED that she said "and I ate two huge hot dogs and a bunch of tator tots andI feel like a teenager" something to that effect..what a healthy outlook on food! none of that starvation diet stuff :D

*having a brain freeze here and cant remember if I'm thinking of Sheryl Crow or someone else..but the point is still the same :D *

·
FV Buddy aka KathiBob
1,651 Posts
I don't remember 40 being so awful but, 30 blew my mind!:eek: Fifty was tough. I think that's when health issues rear their ugly heads. That's what has been tougher on me.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I love sheryl Crow! I had no fear of turning 40. It was the 30 that made me cry for 2 days straight:eek:

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Forty didn't bother me, but I expected to have my purple Mercedes at thirty, so that was a problem! I may grow old, but I refuse to grow up. I still turn my stereo up in my car and crank the tunes. You should see some og the looks I get from the kids next to me when I am listening to some "old" music (Santana comes to mind) and then blow the doors off their hoppe dup cars with my Intrepid! I giggle all the way to the next stop light!:traffic: :rockon:

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Turning 40 has been a little tough for me!! To be honest I am not sure why either:confused: I still feel young, not that 40 is old!!! I am getting over it, I have to since turning 41 will happen in just a few months!!:D

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Nah 40, 30, and I don't think 50 will bother me that much. What does bother me though is how long it takes me to straighten up after a long stint of sitting in the floor. Now THAT bothers me! :smhelp:

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
Nope 40 didn't bother me, it bothered dh who is 4 yrs older so when he turned 40 I told him I'd turn 40 as well, I think by the time my turn came around I was used to the sound of it..still tell the kids i'm 46 same as there dad. Only thing that really bothered me was the birthday was the pits, everyone forgot but dh and he got me a fishing pole, not what I wanted thats for sure....

·
Registered
248 Posts
no. My mother died at 39. Like a lot of daughters who lose their mothers, that age is a survival milestone.

It's not like you are even aware that it mattered until AFTER you make it through.

Then somehow it's like all of life after that stretches out before you.

Somehow outliving your mother's death age means you can live, you survived past it.

My sister was surprised too at the relief she felt passing 39.

For both of us 40 was a celebration of life, of the fact that we will be around to watch our children grow up, be a part of their lives still, see grandchildren.

It's terrific.

·
Registered
611 Posts
No age has bothered me yet (I'm 45). I am beginning to worry more about old age recently, but only that I will be prepared financially, and hope that I am healthy. Sometimes I really can't believe I'm this old.....where did the time go? But, there is nothing I can do about it, so remaining positive and enjoying the time I am given is my goal.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I just had my 40th birthday in January and it was not an easy one. I felt horrible, I guess it was because it I don't feel like I have accomplished much in the past 40 years. I don't have a college degree, I don't have a lot of the material things that I felt like I would or should have by now. I am basicaly happy with my life but that 40th milestone is made me look at things in a different perspective. Thank goodness I am back to my old self now, I know that even without the college degree I make as much or more money than a lot of people with degrees, I don't have a fancy "house" but I have a warm and loving "home", I don't have a fancy car but I have a nice reliable "paid for" car that I am not ashamed of. I guess it is all in the perspective:) .

Blessings,
Kathy

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
40 wasn't bad. I had a worse time at 36. 70 is the average age for American people, so at 36 I figured I was on the downside.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
My mom did fine with all the ages- but she totally lost it one day at the kitchen table when my brother and I agrued over which of us had the most gray hair.

Mom realized if her kids where gray, then she was old.

·
27,948 Posts
Turning 40 wasn't bad. I'm having trouble at 42 because of all the changes going on in my life. Not that life is over or anything I just am trying to figure where I fit into it all. Between my sis taking her life to my dd graduating to my kids just not needing me much anymore it's just a little tough at times.
Hubby is 11 yrs older than me and hated turning 50. He just feels/felt more than half his life is over. I keep/kept reminding him of all the wonderful things that lie ahead.
Just keep learning & growing.:)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Turning 40 was not a big deal for me. I wasn't too thrilled when I hit 44 though, having the numbers match just seemed strange. But at 45 I just figure whatever age someone is is fine.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
Turning 40 was a big deal for me! I broke out in a rash and stayed in bed for two days.:eek: I think it was society's opinion of women over 40 that bothered me. I feel society tends to minimize older women and that bothers me a lot! :(

·
Registered
341 Posts
I turn 40 this coming December, and I've decided like Heather was talking about that it's just a number. I've set some goals to meet by my b-day like losing some weight (on my way), eating healthier, exercising, and some other stuff. But I don't want to be one of those women who lies about her age. I just want to be healthy and look as good as I can, so that when people ask, I can answer honestly and have them say well you don't look it or something like that!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts