Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My washer, although it still works, is acting up,and to fix it will cost more than its worth.The dial will not advance to rinse or spin on its own ,but if I move it manually it will work.Anyway as I am planning my next washer now, so I know what I am after when this one lets go completely,I am wondering which would be the best choice.It is just the 2 of us ,so it only needs to get used once a week.
I now have a top loader,(Inglis)but my kids tell me the front loaders are so much better.Any thoughts or advice? Thanks

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
i prefer top loaders, good luck finding your match

Reactions: chowder

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Right at this moment NO ONE could convince me to get a front loader...........

#1 ---they are still running TWICE THE PRICE here. (takes a lot of YEARS of water savings to make that up!!)

#2--the problems/complaints from the people on here.

#3 --one friend is ALREADY on her second one (the first lasted 5 years!! :yikes:)

#3.5 ---they have to have some special soap _(or not the 'normal stuff) and I just use the 'cheap stuff'............

#4 --the capacity doesn't impress me when I could never meet the capacity...........unless I didn't sort my clothes!

#5 --not impressed with the water savings if I am going to have to replace the washer sooner at twice the price!!

I like my top loader..........however, I DO like the Whirlpool brand. (can usually find it on sale at Sears and get free delivery too)

·
Registered
22 Posts
For some reason, I have heard front loaders get clothes cleaner than top loaders. I have no idea. We have top loaders, but are looking to get replacements soon. So, I am curious as to what everybody has to say about it!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I'd go with a top loader. I hate my front loader. :D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
We have a Maytag (I think, too lazy to go downstairs) toploader from Sears and love it. Free delivery, take away and set up, too.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
We hated our front loader. Had nothing but problems with it. Plus that rubber ring on the inside was always gross even though I cleaned it regularly. If you didn't leave the door open between washings it would stink like mildew.

Our front loader lasted 3 full years, wow. We recently bought a HE Kenmore top loader. We love it! Plus we used our Sears/Kmart rewards card and racked up a bunch of points.

Our washer is big enough to wash a king size comforter. You can probably get something smaller for less money. We paid $485.00. It also has some bells and whistles I could really care less about but that's what came with that model. I wanted it more for the capacity.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is great everyone,such a help.I think I will stay away from the front loaders,I always had a bad feeling about them anyway.I will take a look at Sears.Thanks again,this site is great!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Our front loader lasted 3 full years, wow.
Excluding the other people on here that have replaced their front loaders---you are about the third person I have heard where the F loaders didn't even last five years!!! :yikes: And for the money they cost????????? WHAT??? :thud:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Have you checked into buying the part yourself, and doing the replacement yourself? My timer module broke similar to yours, so I ordered a replacement for something like $50, and swapped it out in a half hour.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I seem to be in the minority in this thread; but I have saved ALOT of money with my front loader. I've also had mine for 7 or 8 years. Our water bills went down alot. As for the soap you can use regular laundry detergent you just have to use half (so it doesn't oversuds) another savings. It also spins so fast that the clothes are practically dry and need a very short time in the dryer. It also is better for your clothes because there is no agitator.

You do have to leave the door open; but in mo it is a small price to pay for the rest of the savings.

They have come way down in price since I bought mine; but when I saw how much savings there was for my water bill; I bought it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have a top load Whirlpool HE Cabrio and DH & I just short of *hate* it. :sigh:

I highly suggest researching Consumer Reviews before buying a new washer or any appliance.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The part that kept going up on our washer was the control board. From what I understand the part is about $299.00. It was replaced twice in three years. This last time it was out of warranty. We said forget it.

I can not say enough good things about my Kenmore HE top loader. I save on water and detergent so it is good for the wallet and my septic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts