Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Washing soda is sodium carbonate, baking soda is sodium bicarbonate.

Has anyone tried to use baking soda in a clothes washing detergent mix such as

Borax, Washing soda, Fels-Naptha mixed with water and replace the washing soda with baking soda?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Some do but say it isn't as effective.

I have heard some who can't find washing soda--I found mine just yesterday at Krogers--use cheap oxyclean type cleaner as it has sodium carbonate in it.

Maybe you should check out different recipes and message boards to see about it yourself.

Good luck--I plan to make my first batch today or tomorrow. Hope it turns out!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
if you want to make sodium carbonate from sodium bicarbonate

turn the oven on get a cookie sheet. bake the dry baking soda for a while. as the sodium bicarbonate decomposes into sodium cabonate and water, it will become dry and fluffy, kind of granular looking.

again, is this worth the PIA factor? are you really saving money?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I wash my laundry with a mix of 1 bar grated ivory soap, 1 box of baking soda, and borax. It seems to work just fine. I have had no problems with it.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts

turn the oven on get a cookie sheet. bake the dry baking soda for a while. as the sodium bicarbonate decomposes into sodium cabonate and water, it will become dry and fluffy, kind of granular looking.

You do if you don't have to bake that is for sure.

I can make 2 gallons of soap for $1.16 rounding up a little more than 1 cent a load plus my time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Baking soda is good to use in the laundry..it softens the water and helps with oders in the clothes. I've made my soap both ways and can't really say which was better because we just had average dirty laundry..meaning no greasy dirty work clothes.

Vinegar is excellent to use in the rinse cycle.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

I am looking at it from a survivalist point of view, than just frugal. If washing soda may be out of stock I may have some baking soda.

Thanks for the great info.

Wish someone made a low priced one of these.

lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=4084

1 - 7 of 7 Posts