Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the sodium carbonate for raising pool PH the same as the sodium carbonate in washing soda? I read the label and it was talking about how caustic it is so I wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's ok :)

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
I don't know either. Are you having trouble locating washing soda where you live?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh my goodness yes! I looked into buying it online and the shipping charges are ridiculous.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I am still not having any luck. Does anyone know if there is a difference between sodium carbonates? The one I looked at for pool PH was sodium carbonate and I think washing powder is also. What would be the difference?

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Here's one that calls for just baking soda instead of washing soda (haven't tried this one out myself).

http://www.naturalhomemagazine.com/backissues/00-05/laundryrecipe.asp

Simple Washing Powder

16 cups baking soda
12 cups borax
8 cups grated castile or glycerin soap flakes*
3 tablespoons lavender, lemon, or grapefruit essential oil
Combine baking soda, borax, and soap flakes, add essential oil, and mix with a wire whisk. Use 1/8 cup of powder per load. This recipe makes enough powder to last a family of four one year.

*Source: Sunfeather Natural Soap Company, (315) 265-3648, www.sunsoap.com, or you can buy bars of castile soap (e.g. Dr. Bronner's) and grate with a kitchen grater.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if I can use Fels naptha instead of glycerine soap...

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
That should work fine. The recipe is close to what most people here on FV make which is washing soda, borax, and fels naptha/ivory bar soap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts