Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With rising grocery prices, I am having a harder time seeing food go to waste here at home. The last couple weeks I used up a bag of potatoes and apples that had been in the fridge for awhile with no purpose. We successfully used all the potatoes and now we only have a few apples left that I will use up this week making applesuace.

I just raided the fridge for any perishables I could eat. It's only 10am, but I am enjoying part of a leftover porkchop, garlic mashed potatoes, and beets. LOL There's still a little pasta and sauce that will be my dinner tonight after our picnic this afternoon and a small container of leftover garlic potatoes that will be gone today as soon as I remind my fiance they are in there :).

I have been freezing any slices of bread that we haven't eaten by the end of the week, for later use as breadcrumbs or croutons for a salad. Leftover veggies are also being saved in a freezer bag for later use in a stew or soup :).

Anyone else using up more of their leftovers? Anyone finding themselves eating lunch for breakfast so it doesn't go to waste?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
My Favorite MANTRA!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I hate to see food go to waste too! I take the leftovers to work for my lunch. It keeps me from having to buy lunches and wasting money. To me, tossing food in the garbage is like throwing money away. If we don't eat the leftovers, then I freeze them and use them later.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
our supper tonight was leftovers from the past few days.
potato + cheese casserole
collards
chicken livers
salmon patties
corn on cob
homemade gatorade

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
We do leftovers more now too!! Tonight the choices were hm chili or hm mac and cheese and a salad.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I hate to waste food also.

We have "fend for yourself", smorgasbord nights, or leftover nights. I have found that the boys are happier if I mix up the names for some reason. Leftover and smorgasbord nights are "eat up what is in the fridge first". FFY nights are basically "I'm not cooking and you are on your own".

I send DH leftovers for his lunch.

I also have a white board on the fridge. I list what is available to eat on it (leftovers, canned soups, etc). It keeps the boys from standing in the fridge trying to find something to eat. It also keeps them out of things that I am saving for another meal.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate to waste food also.

I also have a white board on the fridge. I list what is available to eat on it (leftovers, canned soups, etc). It keeps the boys from standing in the fridge trying to find something to eat. It also keeps them out of things that I am saving for another meal.

I love the idea of a list of what needs to be eaten first. That's such a smart way to encourage everyone to eat up the leftovers first and it helps save the other foods for later meals you want to create :clap:

We went to my mom's today for a picnic and I brought home some fruit salad and rolls. I froze the rolls for a later meal and the fruit salad will be eaten up in the next couple of days :).

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
You can throw the fruit salad in the freezer in ice cube containers. When frozen, throw in a container. Use them in smoothies.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a good idea too Zakity, I might freeze some of the fruit salad for later use, if it lasts that long :). We love fresh fruit and can't seem to get enough of it now that summer is almost here :). I hope to pick our own berries soon and freeze quite a few for later use in smoothies, desserts, etc... during the colder off season months. My goal is to buy low or get fruit and veggies for free this year and freeze as much as I can for the winter when prices are higher for these foods.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
well, for sure this is something I try to do ALL the time... but as we all know, things get pushed to the back of the fridge or just plain forgotten about.

but in these harder times, I know I'm most definitely more aware of what produce we have so that it doesnt go bad.

we'll have a very odd arrangement of foods for dinner.. simply because "it would've gone bad"... oh well, it's food, we'll survive. :)
who cares that applesauce, home fries and noodles w/spring veggies don't go together! LOL

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, for sure this is something I try to do ALL the time... but as we all know, things get pushed to the back of the fridge or just plain forgotten about.

but in these harder times, I know I'm most definitely more aware of what produce we have so that it doesnt go bad.

we'll have a very odd arrangement of foods for dinner.. simply because "it would've gone bad"... oh well, it's food, we'll survive. :)
who cares that applesauce, home fries and noodles w/spring veggies don't go together! LOL

I feel like we eat odd combinations sometimes. I need to eat leftover pasta with sauce and beets for lunch tomorrow. It's food and if I don't eat it, it will just be tossed and I can't do that. My fiance will probably eat a sandwich. Then I'll make applesauce to use the last of our apples up (I might freeze some of it or all of it for later though). I know what you mean about making sure foods aren't pushed to the back of the fridge and forgotten. I seem to take inventory every day now to prevent this from happening. Last week I had to throw out a few celery stalks that had gone bad because I forgotten I had it in the crisper along with about 1/8 of an onion that I wished I had chopped up and frozen for later use. I am being much more careful this week.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
We are being extra careful to not waste any food and try to think of second uses for leftovers if not just as the original leftover. This week I turned leftover roast, potatoes, and carrots into a nice rich beef stew. I added butter and bread and it was a full meal. I had enough leftover beef stew to have some for my lunch one day also.

I've been eating strange things for breakfast too, lol.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I use leftover pastas with sauces -- I puree or liquify them then use as toppings for various things -- cheese based, for potato toppings or soup base, tomato based for meatloaf or hamburger topping, ranch or italian dressing based - for veggie or potato chip dips.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts