Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching for those very "exquisites" - in other words antiques or old things!!

Here are a few tips to watching for those "oldies but goodies" when desiring to fill your home with them.

- put aside a specific amount of $$ just for this. You never know when you'll see a goodie at a yard sale.

- If you see something you like, purchase it if you have the $$ for it. I purchased a number of antique pieces long before we purchased our dream Victorian home. It kept my dream in sight and I would never get the pieces I did today for the prices I paid then.

- if you see something that is painted, purchase it if the price is right. I purchased an old antique dresser for $4.00. It was painted the ugliest turquoise but I knew I had a winner. I brought it home and stripped it. It had ugly yellow underneath the turquoise but under that was the most beautiful maple wood you have ever seen. All for $4.00, some stripper and lots of elbow grease. The same happened to another dresser that was exactly the same as my grannies. It was painted white and the lady said "the drawers don't work properly". You can have it for $10.00. I dickered her down to $8.00, stripped it, fixed the drawers with a few little nails and some glue and I now have another antique dresser that reminds me of my great granny!!!

- never pay the price they are asking, whether its at yard sales or at antique dealers or flea markets. Dicker until your satisfied with the price. I've walked away from a couple of pieces I really wanted because of the prices. Later I've found the same piece lower at a different place.

- always look at the potential of a piece, whether its a dish, furniture, picture, etc.. What will it bring to your home. Will it only add clutter or will it beautify your home and bring a sense of peace when you look at it. Many of my treasures have done that. A few I've ended up giving away because it just didn't fit!!!

- and the last one I can think of. If you've purchased something and got it home and don't like it, regret having purchased it, find someone who will enjoy it and give it to them as a gift. I've done this a couple of times and the recepient has been thrilled because its something they truly wanted!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I plan on using them this yard sale season. I will try to refer back to your advice and hopefully I won't end up with a bunch of clutter this year.
:D

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Great deals and tips ! Thanks CJ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
Great tips..as always :)

Thanks CJ!

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Wonderful tips CJ! I found something today at the church rummage sale that I have secretly wanted for ds, but didn't think I would have an easy time finding - an old school desk! WooHoo! The starting price was $20 (which I was not willing to pay) and it still hadn't sold by the time we were getting ready to start closing up so I snatched it up and probably ended up paying around $2 for it (I bought several things today in one combo deal so there was really no set price assigned to the desk). It's in great shape for it's age.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Great tips... I went through the newspapers I had saved and one article was about antiques so funny I ran across your post today too... maybe it's a sign. ;) I do love some antiques when many of my friends aren't & look at me crazy...

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Thanks CJ! Ohhhhh I can't wait for yard sales to start!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Thank you for the helpful tips on Antiques and or old things shopping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts