Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been expecting to hear that we would have to start paying water/sewage at the apartment complex. I have only had to do it at one -- ever -- but more and more apartments are requiring it. Still, I wasn't happy when I got home yesterday to find the letter telling me that when I renew my lease, this would be added.

The only good news about this is that I was expecting a rent increase anyway, and the letter said that no rents would be raised on the first renewal so that everyone would have a chance to adjust their budgets, which is, after all, pretty civilized. Since I always renew for a year, that locks the current rent in place. I don't like that it isn't individually metered; it's billed on a prorated basis, with the complex paying a portion for common uses -- pools, landscaping, etc -- and the rest divided on the basis of the size apartment and how many are living there. Since I have a small apartment and it's just me, it shouldn't be too awful. But it was nicer not to have to pay it!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah , I know how it feels , My new Apt says we have to do this too , makes me kinda angry , but a least i can use as much water as i want..... I just keep thinking of that huge ppol the complex has...and i feel kinda cheated in a way.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I know what you mean, my mom lives in an apartment complex and pays for her own water, I really dont think thats fair to have to pay that but there's no law that says you dont have to. Make sure your not being gipped (sp?)though if there are pools, water fountains, etc... on the property.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I know what you mean, my mom lives in an apartment complex and pays for her own water, I really dont think thats fair to have to pay that but there's no law that says you dont have to. Make sure your not being gipped (sp?)though if there are pools, water fountains, etc... on the property.
I would make sure too. Years ago we lived in a duplex that had a central hall and one unit on each side. The central hall was where the electic meters were .I kept having high electric bills- couldn't figure it out. I did notice that the neighbor would go out and leave the back light on all night.I put two and two together and we checked the meters and sure enough, it was billed to our side. Not only that but she refused to shut the light off. Let me tell you I raised hell and got that taken care of.Those apts can be sneaky .

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
Wow, that really sucks. Let us know what happens... How long until you find out how much it will increase your cost of living?

Why does everything have to keep going up in cost...but wages don't?! :soapbox: ARGH!!

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think it is going to be too bad. I found out I will not get the first bill until mid-June, and will not pay anything until July. The apartment does pay a percentage, as I said, for the common things like pools. One of the guys I work with has a smallish house and his water/sewage runs about $15 a month. If it's more than that, I guess I would have grounds to question it, but since it's calculated by formula, I'm sure it would get nowhere. It is a large complex -- several hundred units, I think -- and since there is no individual metering, they have to figure out some way to do it. I really don't mind paying it, it's just that, as I said, it was nicer not to, and I'm spoiled to not having to pay it. Since I was expecting rent to go up $15-20, it shouldn't me more than I planned for. I am still really impressed that they are holding rents where they are for a while because of this new expense to their tenants.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts