Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
an orphaned bird that is.:) Our boys and some of their friends found a baby robin down at the park that had fallen out of it's nest. The nest was too high up in the tee to get the bird back in and some other kids were going to kill the poor thing. They brought it home and we've fed and watered it, put it in a nice box with chicken wire over the top and rags inside to cuddle in and under a lamp. It's doing really well and is trying to learn to fly. I'm just praying that our cats don't find it. It's in the garage and I've given the boys strick orders NOT to let the cats in there.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
You have a heart made of gold. Good luck with it, it's a tough task to raise a baby bird. Most don't make it.... It hope it does well for you !!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awww...good luck saving the little bird...:chicken:

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
You can make a "feeder" out of a popsicle stick whittle down on one end to a dull point. Mix up baby cereal to a thick paste and they will gobble it down! Also, have your boys turn over lumber, etc. to get crickets and other insects for him. Make sure to feel him TONS of food. Baby birds have a very fast metabolism and can die without food every few hours! Good luck with your baby--they are wonderful!:)

·
27,948 Posts
Lucky bird to have you guys caring for it. Hope it continues to thrive and soon spreads it's wings and flies.:)

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the support and advice. The boys have been feeding it worms and wet cat food (vet recommended that) and giving it lots of water. Chester (yes, they name the little cutie) made it through the night. I brought him inside and let him have the laundry room where the cats are locked out of. This morning we let him run around in the garden and search for bugs. He is trying to learn how to fly and is so cute!!! They are feeding the little bugger again and yes, he does eat a ton! LOL! Our poor cats are so confused as to why we won't let them near the bird. They all want to eat him.:eek:

·
27,948 Posts
Sounds like Chester probably won't want to leave with all the fuss you guys are making over him.:)

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chester now has a sibling! Zack has now joined the orphan club at our home. We found him at the park today after a cat named Tasha knocked him out of his nest. I'm almost afraid to go back down there and find another bird. Zack is injured and the boys have been praying over him for healing. Both the birds are eating well and seem to enjoy all the attention. I think Chester has bonded to us. He likes to be real close.:)

·
27,948 Posts
Debbie, word must be out among the birds that your place is the place to be.
OK , where are the female birds? Are they smarter & don't fall out of nests?:D

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Darlene, you made me laugh!:D I don't know whether Chester is a male or female, but my boys just named "him" Chester. BTW, Zach died last night. We had a feeling late last night when he wouldn't eat anything that we would lose him. Chester however is doing fine and is sitting here in a box next to me chirping away. He even flew a bit this morning! WTG Chester!!!! He really is very cute and likes to perch on our fingers or arms. Just have to make sure you have a towel handy since I don't know how to make birdie diapers! :toothy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts