Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Wow, that sounds like fun. I have never done it, but there are always one or two here in the county. I know the families always try to make sure the student gets to experience as much as they can while they are here. Sightseeing, etc.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
My good friend in HS- her family hosted a student every year. I know they just let them be a part of the family. Doing the usual things.

They would pick a certain night of the week and let them cook meals from their homeland. This helped with their homesickness and promoted a sense of belonging.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I've always wanted to do this.

Dave's cousin had Japanese exchange students living with her for a few years, and she and her family just went to Japan to visit them. Because she knew people there, she was able to go for a few weeks. She said the whole experience (not just her trip there) was a fantastic life experience.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Yes we did it. How long will your student be with you? Our's was with us for a whole school year. Just be prepared for one thing....even though they tell you that they have their own money, don't expect her to voluntarily chip in. ;) It's not a cheap endeavor......Have fun. We still keep in touch with our Japanese boy student who stayed with us about 5 yrs. ago. He and his mother have been back for a visit as well. If you ever need to talk feel free to pm me anytime.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts