Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are moving from our rental house in a low-income neighborhood to a very nice, almost new townhouse in an affluent suburb. The rent is a little higher than what we have been paying, but we won't have to pay water or trash service.

The thing that was the catalyst for our move was dd has decided she would like to try public school again. After doing much research, we decided Andover, KS had the best public schools in the area. It is also where DH attends college and teaches part time at the community college. He will still have to commute (about 20 miles) to his full-time job in Wichita, but he had been making the drive to Andover four days a week for school, so not a big difference there.

I worry a little bit about dd adjusting to going to school with a bunch of kids from high income households. The average household income in Andover is $67,000 compared to $39,000 in Wichita. We make far less than either of those numbers. We very much want her to go to a school where almost all of the students graduate high school, and over 90% of the graduates go on to higher education. The schools in Wichita are so bad, some have graduation rates of only 25%. The bad public schools here are the main reason we decided to homeschool in the first place.

The very sad part is we have to find a home for our little house dog. We have had her for five years. The townhouse is a "no pets" property. My mother had agreed to adopt the dog, which was a perfect solution for us, she lost her dog a couple of years ago. It died at the age of 16. She has kept our dog a couple of times when we went out of town, and our dog likes her. Then after we put a deposit on this place, and had our rent application approved, my mom changed her mind about taking the dog. It is absolutely the only place we could find to rent that we could even come close to affording. The few houses for rent there rent for about $1,200-1,400 a month. Our rent will be $670 a month. It is even larger than the house we have been living in. We have been paying $550 a month plus all utilities, including water and trash (around $50 a month), so the rent is not much of a stretch.

As much as I love my dog, I don't feel we should sacrifice our daughter's chance at a superior education. The schools there are just outstanding. If we can not send her to private school, (which we can't, at $7,000 a year tuition) this is the only acceptable option for us. DH also hopes to become a full-time instructor at the JUCO there after he completes his education. They have already told him he has a future there. I am excited about the move, but very stressed over losing our beloved little dog.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I just want to wish you the best of luck in your move and while you have to let go of your dog, I am sure he will be in great hands with your mom. :hugz:

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just want to wish you the best of luck in your move and while you have to let go of your dog, I am sure he will be in great hands with your mom. :hugz:
That is the problem. My mom backed out on adopting the dog. Says she wants to be free to travel. They have not taken a trip anywhere in the two years since her dog died, so this puzzles me. She has been retired for ten years, and they never even go to visit her sister, a five hour drive. I don't think a lot of travel is in their future. They are both in their 70's. They don't even like to drive from the west side of our city where they live, to the east side. In fact when I told her we were moving to Andover (20 miles away), she said "Well you will never see me, unless you come here!" Our dd had been happy when she thought the dog was going to live with grandma, now she is very upset. We will have to try and find a stranger to take her, or it is the humane society.

·
Registered
966 Posts
It's difficult to have to rehome a pet :cry: . Since your mom can't take him, you could contact some local rescues and ask if they will list him on Petfinder.com for you... that reaches a lot of people. How long do you have to find him a new home?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Oh, forgot to add... Petfinder also has an area of classifieds where you can list him yourself. There's also Craigslist, where people looking for a new pet often visit. Hopefully, because he's small, it will be easier to find a new home.

The dogs that really have trouble being rehomed are big dogs and pit bulls (in my experience, anyway, and I'm over on the east coast).

Good luck. And congrats on such a great find for a rental!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I'm glad you are moving to such a great place, I am sorry for your dog though. Do you think your mom will change her mind? Does the dog travel in the car well? You could suggest she travel with the dog to visit her sister (if she ever does). You might even be able to suggest house sitting with the dog if they ever go on an extended trip somewhere. Your mom might be more willing to reconsider your dog if she feels less worried about what she will do with the dog if she ever decided to take a trip. I would have the dog with you when you talk to her and let her play with him, maybe say a lot of things like, "he likes you so much," Just some of my suggestions. It seems like she wanted the dog and now doesn't, she might be swayed towards it again :).

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Deb ~ Congrats on the move! Sound like a really good thing for your daughter and family. Am I just reading between the lines, or is your mom being kind of passive aggressive with the dog situation? Maybe she doesn't want you to be farther away and so is now saying she won't take her because she's a little sad/upset about the move? Twenty miles is not that far for her to come visit you! I think Marie is right, offer to watch the dog when (if!) they travel and then see what she says. I hope it all works out for you! I know how you feel, we are planning to move this summer and have a dog too.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Good luck with your move. Would the landlord let you pay extra on security for your dog. It is worth asking! Most times they will let you if they meet the dog. Wishing you good luck!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Congrats on your new home but sorry to hear about your little dog I hope you can find a good home for him.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I am so sorry that you have to give up your little :dog: We've had our :dog: about the same amount of years and I don't know how I'd ever be able to part with her. Too bad you mom backed out.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My mom has decided to keep our dog, at least until we find a more suitable home for her. She is a little spayed female Miniature Pinscher. She only weighs 14 pounds. Her name is "Penny Pincher". I am relieved that I can take a little more time finding her a permanent home. I am kind of hoping mom gets attached and wants to keep her. I offered to pay for boarding if they do travel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Glad your mother is able to keep her atm. I know how hard it is to give up an animal. Good luck with the move.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I'm glad your mom decided to keep her-even temporarily. I bet she'll fall in love w/ Penny- mini pins have such a great personality!

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
good luck with the move

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Congrats on the move Deb~:thumb: I hope your mom will fall in love with the dog and won't want to part with her. Don't worry about your dd going to school with the high income kids. She'll do fine and you can keep her grounded with family values and money management skills. Enjoy your new home.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
You must be feeling a bit stressed by now, change is always scary and exciting at the same time!!! There will be lots to do, but once you get settled and get your DD enrolled in the new school, you will have the summer to meet new people, and browse the new area where you will be living!!! Congrats on the exciting news. Keep us posted about your move and how it all goes. Good Luck to you and your family, I hope it will be everything you hope for!!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am SO EXCITED about the new community. It has a population of around 9,000. Our townhouse is located right behind a nice, new Dillon's (grocery store that offers double coupons!), and within EASY walking distance there is a new Goodwill store, Braum's (ice cream and dairy store), Taco Bell, Applebee's, and several other small businesses. This is great for us, since we only have one car, and DH works so much and goes to college full-time. Molly will ride the bus to school.

We are going to sign our lease today, even though the move is still a month away. I need a copy of our signed lease so that I can preregister Molly for school next year. I hope the transition to public school is not too traumatic. She has some real issues with social interaction, exhibiting many symptoms of Asperger's syndrome. We have not had her tested for this, sometimes it goes undiagnosed in girls. She did go to a public school for grades K-2nd, but it was not without problems. She cried every single day she was there, and never made any friends. Even though we have been very active in our homeschool group, and tried getting her interested in Girl Scouts, she just does not like other kids very much. She also cries if she does not know the answer to a question. She will never even hazard a guess. If she is unsure of the answer, she just starts crying. She is nearly eleven years old. When she was in second grade (public school) she would get so stressed out on Fridays about the spelling tests, she would be making herself sick with worry, and of course, more crying. She was always a good student. She is very bright. We have never put any pressure on her to perform, and are constantly telling her it is OK to not know the answer to everything, but nothing we have done has helped her. Sometimes I think maybe she needs some "special education" services. Her IQ is well above average, but school has always been a struggle emotionally.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Oh Deb, reading this I knew I needed to reply ASAP! One of my best friend's daughters who is 8, has Asperger's syndrome. I know her really well since she is my daughters best friend. She has had a lot of help with it in the public school system, and her daughter has come a long way and is thriving in school now. She has exhibited very similar symptoms as Molly. I suggest you contact the new school and get her tested/evaluated right away. There are services and peope who can really help her. Best wishes for your family in the move, it sounds great!!! Feel free to PM me and I can get you more info. if you'd like.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts