Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and I leave for a trip to Hawaii next week. We are so excited. We have wanted to go for so long but we kept saying we couldn't afford to go. We decided that we were going to open a vacation savings account quite a few months ago. We set a specified amount in the account each pay day. If it meant that we hung the laundry that week or put beans in the slow pot before going to work we did it just so that money was put away. We were able to pay for the trip in November and have been saving the same amount each paycheck for spending money. We are thrilled to think that we are going on a dream vacation and won't have any debt when we get home. We will also be keeping the account open and putting the same amount in each payday when we get back. We haven't decided what the next trip will be, but it will be nice to have the money available when we decide. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you set your mind to it.

·
19,119 Posts
How funny that you are coming to Hawaii and most people from Hawaii go to Las Vegas for vacation!! it's wonderful that you created this vacation for yourselves!! What islands are you to visit?

Reactions: 3tomboys

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Congrats and have fun!

Swing by and pick me up. :p

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Great job on thinking and planning ahead and being able to save up for your now debt free vacation. I hope you enjoy it! :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mauimagic, we are staying on the Big Island. We are looking forward to exploring something new. We enjoy hiking and are looking forward to the Volcanic National Park. We hope to get some snorkeling in and several other tourist things.

·
19,119 Posts
You'll have a great time on the Big Island!! So much to do and explore!! Cannot wait to hear your stories and hopefully see some pictures!!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Its funny, I was just talking to a friend about this tonight about how some people I know think its some huge, hard pie in the sky thing to plan and pay for a nice vacation and its really not - If you have the money you do just like you did - put a set amount away until you have enough, plan your trip, and go! (We're going to Kauai in April)

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Have a wonderful time, its got to feel good to have it all paid for!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
good for you! have fun

we always pay up front for EVERYTHING we can. plane, rental car, rental place, we even pay the pet housing when dog gets dropped off. that way we can go, enjoy, have fun and not come home w/ bills.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I love Hawaii...I usually go to Oahu or Maui..(Maui is our favorite) but last year we went to Kauai and it was so beautiful. I haven't been to the Big Island for over 30 years...I need to check it out again...That's why we live as frugal as possible..so we can enjoy these trips!!! Have a great time and tell us all about it when you get back!!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Congratulations! Have fun! :) Can I come along in your suitcase? :D

·
Registered
623 Posts
Your story is inspiring--its amazing what small steps can add up to. Congratulations !

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
We are planning on going in 2011 we just started saving a few months ago and have almost $1000 saved. This is all free money.
Money from extra jobs, rebates, recycling, saving change and holiday and snow day pays (I did not work so it is free money).
It amazes me how fast it adds up.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hawaii was beautiful! It was a wonderful vacation! We ended up spending a lot of time relaxing on the beach. We will definately be keeping our vacation account and adding to it regularly. We stayed within budget and it feels great. We're thinking the next trip will be this summer either to Disneyland or San Diego (this time will take our dd's) for a few days. We'll see.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Glad you had a good time and best of all, it's payed for.

Did you get a nice tan? :)

·
19,119 Posts
So glad that you had a good time and took advantage of the beaches to relax!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts