Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I can't imagine that it would bother anyone that you guys buy units ~ I think it's great ~ as well as hard work -

where do you store stuff until you can sell it?

keep up the good work!!

Reactions: Syn D

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I can't imagine that it would bother anyone that you guys buy units ~ I think it's great ~ as well as hard work -

where do you store stuff until you can sell it?

keep up the good work!!
Thank You!!

Yes, very hard work, a lot more for hubby than me tho'.

Right now it is in our carport under tarps, we still have one unit to empty. We will be having a yard sale next weekend and what doesn't sale will be spread out between the thrift stores here.. We are now half way to breaking even, come this Monday we should completely have all our money back (all mostly off just one unit and sold to hubbys employees).. So, the money made from the yard sale will be put away to help us get to our daughters wedding in April.

We don't have the money for the units just lying around, it is usually ment for something else, like the money we used to buy these units was money we were saving for propane, which we don't need for a few months, but we knew we'd get it back fast as we have every other time..

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just want to clarify that I do not fault those that buy the units and I understand the market for it. I just think it is important to be honest enough to acknowledge both sides of the coin. Whether anyone likes acknowledging it or not....many of the units are lost from those that really do care and are in extreme circumstances...even if it is easier to think they are all just irresponsible losers. That is not always the case and we all know that.

Reactions: melanies and Syn D

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Didn't mean my post to come across as a criticism...just an elaboration on different circumstances for using storage.

Frankly, I think you are doing a good thing to take all this stuff off the storage unit owner's hands. Why should they get stuck storing stuff for free? Especially when they can rent for money! The fact is, they need to earn a living too! :) If Mom hadn't told us or gone back for her stuff, I would hope someone like you would come along and go through it and pick out the good from the bad and see it gets used appropriately. :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thank You!!

It was actually a rude comment I got from elsewhere.. I don't usually bother with rude comments, but I try on FV to understand others and I thought bout that rude comment and thought It might bother someone over here..

We understand about misfortune and have been there many of times, but we can't let that control us.. We also respect the renters of the lost units, we have never told anyone the names of the renters.. We live in a town where at least one person we talk to might know that person, so we have never mentions any names, a lot of last name connections here.. It's not my job to expose any ones misfortunes/habits..

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
My aunt actually let her storage unit go with my uncles flag in it. Had we known she was behind, we would have gladdly paid it for her. Agrivating to say the least!!!

Reactions: Syn D

·
Registered
0 Posts
We have three storage lockers in the lower floor of an apartment in downtown Denver that we need removed. We are in town cleaning out my aunt's belongings. Lots of collectibles. Almost all in boxes. We need to make arrangements quickly as we are in town just two more days, though the pick up can occur later. We would appreciate you contacting us as soon as you can. Thank you

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Seriously???

·
Registered
0 Posts
Storage for sale

We just bought the contents of 6 storage units.. I am amazed every time we buy one, the things people leave in them..

If we were dishonest people, we could of made so much money on just the personal information left in the units, everything needed ~ birth certificates, ss cards, tax information, etc.. They don't take up much space, so why would anyone leave that stuff in a storage unit.. We just shred them and throw them away..

In the first unit we bought was someones cremains (2 yrs. ago), with all his personal information, that unit hadn't been paid for 8 months before we bought it.. One item this time we found that I find sad was, we found a flag they give to the family at military funerals..

I just don't understand it.

We don't get our units like Storage Wars or Auction Hunters.. There is no Auction, they just call us when they need to sell one..
Hi I just saw your post and wanted to know if you or anyone you know would be interested in purchasing two storages?

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Hi I just saw your post and wanted to know if you or anyone you know would be interested in purchasing two storages?
The original post is from August 2011.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I used to have things in storage and then I realized that at the end of 3 years I had paid storage fees that equaled about half of what the stuff was worth. I never put anything sentimental in there, just the stuff i knew I wouldnt use right away (or apparently ever!!). Got all of the units (it was three - the kind that they used to drop off at your home, you would fill and they would take to a warehouse) and then sold/donated all of the stuff.

That experience is what made me become somewhat of a minimalist. I just realized basically how much money I threw away on the stuff AND the storage of it!

I have a one in one out rule now... among other things.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I am looking to sell the contents of my storage unit and my apartment. I am in Towanda, Pa. and I was wondering if there is anyone who buys storage unit contents or household contents. Can anyone on these forums help me?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
What would prevent the owners of the storage company from going through and removing the most valuable things for themselves, before putting the rest of the contents up for sale?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts