Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So DH's employers want to move him to Mount Pleasant, Michigan. I am extremely nervous/scared about it. We do not have long to make up our minds. Company will pay for us to relocate and pay for a place to live for up to 6 months. I have DD to consider, as some of you know she has ASD, and we have a very set routine with her at home and at school. I think she'd fare well moving but I am unsure. I'm wondering what the school district is like. Surely it would have to be better than here in MS. Our school ratings are quite low.

Then I have to wonder if our house would even sell. I wouldn't get to see my mother. Then again she lives in TX and it's a 13 hour drive from me to her so I only get to see her once or twice a year. Even further for my dad. Then DH's parents live in another state. Leaving friends behind. Just so many worries. I hate moving. I like it here, all except for the schools. I'd move if it meant the the kids would be better off there in MI. I haven't been there in years and I don't remember much about it. Hubby goes there all the time on business trips and says the people are quite friendly. That's not really bothers me though, it's the long move and worrying about my kids adjusting. Maybe I'm making a big deal out of it, IDK, but if anybody lives up there and can give me some info about the schools and the area maybe that would help alleviate some of my worries. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
What would happen to his position if he decided to not move to MI? Is there a raise involved? What is the cost of living in the area you are moving to? Just things to consider.

Keep us posted.

Reactions: mystypooh

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I have many friends in MI and have been planning for awhile to move there myself. If you research the community, crime, cost of living, and schools unless homeschooling and are pleased with what you see I would move in a heartbeat.

In this economy to have a secure job ( if it is) with a good company willing to relocate I would do it. I love Mi , the lakes, the great communities ( depending on where you move), and the wonderful farm communities where you can go and get fruit for a great price. With the economy the way it is there are some great house prices, in great communities begging for wonderful people to move there.

Some parts are full of gangs and crime, as in anywhere so be careful , research, be aware , informed and if comfortable with all then go for it. I have researched many states and like this one! Many have the obstacles of loss of jobs so if you have one set you will do fine. :). I can't wait till I move there, am just about ready to make the jump. Good luck :)

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
You'd be living near me. :D I can't comment on Mt Pleasant schools (it's about half an hour away), but our school district is wonderful.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well he wouldn't lose his job which is a relief. He's been really unhappy here since we moved here. I, on the other hand, don't mind it. I can't say I'd call it home though so it's really no skin off my back if we did move. I guess I'm just worried about the kids. A few people that DH works with love it there. There are a few women that he works with here, that were transferred from MI. They now live in Jackson, MS. They absolutely hate it. They said they'd move back to MI in a heartbeat.

It does seem that cost of living would be a bit higher there. He's been negotiating his salary to compensate for the higher costs. Not sure if it's going to work but we'd actually be fine without it. I'm feeling very rushed into making a decision. He's leaving it up to me! I know he wants to go with all his heart, the kids want to go (they want snow, which we lack, lol) but I have misgivings. It's probably because they want an answer by Tuesday! We'd have to leave by the end of the month. Too much to do in such a short amount of time. I'm stressing, lol. I guess there's no right decision to this but I hate to uproot the family and move 15 hours away. Yikes! Plus not getting to see my parents....well, it makes me want to cry. I also wouldn't get to see my nephew. He lives in AL. Anyway, sorry to go on and on. I'll figure it out. I'm sure this is normal for anybody faced with such a decision. Funny but when I was younger I moved all over the place and didn't worry one bit about it but I didn't have kids to worry about, just myself. Thanks everybody for your input. I'll look around some more. I plan on flying up if I can get somebody to watch the kids for a few days.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,680 Posts
Why would you and the kids have to move by the end of the month? Your husband can go on ahead while you pack up and get ready for the move. Then when you're ready, he can come back and help with final details. Have him negotiate the time off work he'll need before he takes the job. And even if you do have to move quickly, IMO that shouldn't be a determining factor. That's a short-term inconvenience for a long-term gain.

Why can't you see your family? My daughter lives in Dallas and we're up on the Canadian border. We've met them at a campground halfway between to spend time together. Even if your family can't meet you, you can still drive to Texas. And there's the phone and Skype to keep in touch.

Think of summers when you can go outside and don't have to drink the air. :)

·
19,119 Posts
In rereading all the posts - my initial reaction is just ' go for it!!' If indeed you are comfortable with what you research about the schools - and if you are not happy with the school system where you are - then get out and move to a better opportunity. And please let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I live in MI. I can only say I have never wanted to live anywhere else. And the cost of living w/ the exception of gasoline (because we are a penninsula).
Is pretty low.
Car ins. is funky here because we have no fault and you must maintain a certain amt of ins. but at least it makes you feel safer i guess.
I love the up north and the geography is very pretty. Lots of woods,lots of lake access. We go apple picking and cider mill hopping.
The further from the Detroit and suburbs the more relaxed it is.
I don't really know mt pleasant but where i live the house has dropped $130,000 so how much cheaper can it be?
We have the best nationally recognized camping parks. A state parks pass is $10. People still don't lock their doors up north.
Deer hunting is very popular if you hunt. And there is a lot of good fishing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why would you and the kids have to move by the end of the month? Your husband can go on ahead while you pack up and get ready for the move. Then when you're ready, he can come back and help with final details. Have him negotiate the time off work he'll need before he takes the job. And even if you do have to move quickly, IMO that shouldn't be a determining factor. That's a short-term inconvenience for a long-term gain.

Why can't you see your family? My daughter lives in Dallas and we're up on the Canadian border. We've met them at a campground halfway between to spend time together. Even if your family can't meet you, you can still drive to Texas. And there's the phone and Skype to keep in touch.

Think of summers when you can go outside and don't have to drink the air. :)

I've thought of all of that already but he's wanting us to go with him. I think it's silly when I could stay here and pack. I think it would be less stressful.

Thanks for reminding me about Skype! We have it and I had completely forgotten about it! DH uses it. I haven't had a chance yet. Too much stressing going on. My brain is a tootin'.

ROFL, we do drink the air down here! That just tickles me, haven't heard that before!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I"m a few hours north of Mt Pleasant I think, near that anyway. Yes it's beautiful up here, but just to be sure you don't think it's a fairy land, some who don't lock their doors get robbed....just sayin', it isn't crime free. But it is beautiful.

We have been here all our marriage, 38 years...unfortunately in the wrong career-construction. So we are hurting, bad. Michigan was hit bad that way, but if you're in the right career & your hubby is coming here for his job, that wouldn't affect you.

Mt PLeasant has the PBS station located there, lol!
I don't care for the snow myself, but your kids & snow lovers surely do-they were very upset about winter starting so late, but I think it's here now for some time.

Every fear you had I would have too, and I would be very stressed out...even if it sounds good, you always wonder. And I was the same way younger, moved without thought, flew in an airplane without fear (lol)....we build fears as we get older it seems & l ike you said once you have kids that just adds to your concern.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Merilee -upper peninsula was what i should have said.
And yes the snow may be a shocker at first. Fear is a good thing to visit,just not a place to live all the time. Change can be exciting. just depends how you approach things.

·
Super Moderator
19,680 Posts
If your husband's company will pay to move you and that means they hire movers and a semi, then you don't really need to worry much about that. All you'd have to pack is what you'd need for a few days while things are in transit, and they'll take care of the rest. So that would be one thing off your mind.

I think Michigan has similar summers to ours here in northern Minnesota, and if that's the case, you'll absolutely love it.

If you don't like the schools where you are, IMO that's a huge factor. You have the opportunity to move your family where your kids will get a better education, the way it sounds. And it also sounds like everyone is in favor of the move. I think you're right to be doing research and giving all the ramifications some long, hard thought, but it also seems like you're leaning toward making the move. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Just thought I would add Michigan is one of the strongest Pro Homeschooling law states, if you decide to go that route. So you are not limited if you don't happen to like the school district!

There are so many pros for you. I would make a list of pros and cons ,research more( Nikko gave great links), pray and decide.

I did have a couple of company paid relocations and as Spirit Deer said they took care of everything and it went smooth.

·
Unix Ninja
3,209 Posts
So DH's employers want to move him to Mount Pleasant, Michigan. I am extremely nervous/scared about it. We do not have long to make up our minds. Company will pay for us to relocate and pay for a place to live for up to 6 months. I have DD to consider, as some of you know she has ASD, and we have a very set routine with her at home and at school. I think she'd fare well moving but I am unsure. I'm wondering what the school district is like. Surely it would have to be better than here in MS. Our school ratings are quite low.

Then I have to wonder if our house would even sell. I wouldn't get to see my mother. Then again she lives in TX and it's a 13 hour drive from me to her so I only get to see her once or twice a year. Even further for my dad. Then DH's parents live in another state. Leaving friends behind. Just so many worries. I hate moving. I like it here, all except for the schools. I'd move if it meant the the kids would be better off there in MI. I haven't been there in years and I don't remember much about it. Hubby goes there all the time on business trips and says the people are quite friendly. That's not really bothers me though, it's the long move and worrying about my kids adjusting. Maybe I'm making a big deal out of it, IDK, but if anybody lives up there and can give me some info about the schools and the area maybe that would help alleviate some of my worries. Thanks.
Well... The schools in Midland are great.
that's where we are. Midland is 25 minutes from Mount Pleasant.
Maybe Sara can give you some input.

Just realized she posted. I'm such a great listener reader. LOL

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think you would find there are more opportunities for your children in MI. Not only would the school system be better but more opportunities for extracurricular activities after school and during the summer months. (Higher tax rate = more services.)

If your daughter is special needs (I don't know was ASD is) I think you'd find much better services generally for her.

Personally, my only reservation would be the snow. I LOVE snow but I think the snow in MI would be pretty overwhelming and you live somewhere where there's never snow. I think that would be a big adjustment. Although I'm sure the weather in the summer is beautiful.

This seems like a really good opportunity to you and I'd tell hubby "yes" if he gives you time to pull it together.

I guess. That snow does sound overwhelming...

G

·
Just wanted to add a few things to consider. We did a cross country move for DH's job a few years ago.

They are obviously covering relocation, but do they guarantee any length of employment? Is there a chance that you move there and DH gets laid off a few months later and you're stuck out there? Are there other job opportunities in the area if it doesn't work out?

Secondarily, do they require a commitment for employment? When we moved, since DH's employer covered the costs they required him to stay there for a year - if he left sooner, he would be required to pay back the moving costs. He ended up HATING the new position - to the point where it was affecting his health - and we were forced to stick it out a lot longer than he wanted to.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
If you find an area that you think you like, my suggestion would be to call the local police (or sheriff) and tell them that you will be moving into that area and ask them where they recommend you live, given your desire for an area with a good school and family-friendly neighborhood. They know the communities better than anyone, and they will usually be very helpful in steering your toward what you are looking for (and away if you made an unwise choice).

·
Super Moderator
19,680 Posts
About the snow...

Having been caught in a Michigan lake-effect storm once, I have to say we've never seen anything like it. It was very harrowing, although the fact the brakes on our trailer kept locking up (unrelated to weather conditions) with the trailer doing its best to yank us into the ditch in bumper to bumper truck traffic did not help our frayed nerves at all. But it was a new experience, a lake-effect storm. We've lived in snow country all our lives, including in South Dakota where the wind is ferocious, and that storm caught us by surprise.

However, Bunnys pointed out that with higher taxes come better services, and road maintenance is one of those services. Here in Minnesota, roads are well cared for and unless the weather is truly dire, roads will be in good winter driving condition. If the weather is so bad the plows are pulled off the roads, then nothing is moving anyway. I'm assuming Michigan is the same.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts