Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tazzie was born to a 10 month old feral kitten, named Sweet Pea, we worked with them until Taz was about 3 months old, and brought them into the house, 3 days later Taz was vomiting and couldn't lift her head. The news was bad, she had distemper and it was slim to none that she would survive through it.

Miracle #1, she made it, but had to learn how to eat and walk again. After months of acupunture, she was up and running around. The vets said she would always be our "Little kitten", the distemper rewired her brain, and her she probably would not mature more than what she was,, we would have to watch her and take care of her and did we want to put that much time into her,, that was fine with us...she would be our special needs kitty. She also had the biggest wiggle, her little rear end would sway about 3 inches left to right when she walked, it would just make people smile.

This is when Taz came afraid of strangers, she was scared to death when someone knocked on the door or when people would come in the house. She stayed inside the house, or went outside in her pen, we had her vet that came to the house for her shots, etc.

Miracle #2, not even a year later Taz made it through twisted intestine surgery, We had her on pain meds for a couple months,,, but amazing, she was always a happy little girl..she would almost coo instead of purr, and when she gave you kisses, well, they were the best ever, she was comforted by snuggling along side your chin and you Had to kiss her cheek. Also Tazzie was not little, her last weigh in last week she was at 21 pounds, she was a good size kitten!

Taz began breathing funny, like she had been running, the vet said she had asthma, or was working on a infection in her lungs, gave her Antibiotics and steriod pills,(sat) a day later we had to run her back in, at 11pm, the vet gave her a steroid shot and sent he back home,( sun) an hour later the vet was sending her to an emergency vet to give her oxygen and watch her 24/7, The next morning, (Mon) Her vet sent her to another vet two towns over, he came up with she had a reaction to the steriods, so he was keeping her overnight and she would be ok and could come home..
We got her home tues morning, and she looked alot better, but she was having trouble walking and wasn't eating, wed morning we called the vet back and he said to give her another day, that her tests were ok and she had been stressed out with all the new people and traveling... give her another day... we should have taken her in
Thurs morning, we found her panting on the floor at the bottom of our bed, we rushed her back to the vet, so far way.... They ran more tests and put her on oxygen, then told us that her kidneys were shutting down, her heart was enlarged, her lungs were full of fluid, what?? They have NO idea what is happening!!

There was nothing we could do...She was so weak and tired, but she never gave up, Taz left this world knowing we loved her and she would always be the love of our lives. She was cuddled up under my sons chin, cooing and him giving her kissses on her little cheek telling her she would always be our "little kitten"

She would have been 10 yrs old on 4/20, All these years, Sweet pea has taken care of her baby, she never left Tazzie's side, she has been the best Mom ever, We have no idea how she is taking not having her here, she is looking everywhere for her, its So sad.

Little Kitten, we will love you and you will be in our hearts, forever
( and we will take care of momma for you )

Tazzie and my Dad now share the same date, I lost them both on April 17. I will Never forget...

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So sorry to hear about your baby frugalwarrrior2,

I am So glad to hear of someone else taking in ferals, they make some of the best friends ever! It takes a special person to take them in, Thank you!

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as "we" grieve together. I sure hope you are doing better than me!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
OMgoodness Pinetree I didnt mean to usurp your thread just offer you condolences.
And yes,I fed the grandma while she was preggers w/ the mama. Then I later took in the mama and named her Night. She had 4 kittens I watched being born. Night and my beagle used to sleep together. Her kittens were Jada,Coalie,Carlie and Bagheera. Mama night and Carlie lived w/ us and passed last year at 14 and 15yo. Coalie lived next door and once a year Night would get out and go visit her thru the neighbors sunroom glass. Jada was adopted by a work friend of Dh and didnt fare as well. We loved them all. I have adopted no less than 9 feral kittens. I am happy to say only 1 had to go back outside. Rachel tore up our heating vents when she made residence in them so we released her.
I hope your doing ok today. We have lost many. It never gets easier. And it always takes time. We still have 9 to go aged 9-15yo.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's ok frugalwarrior2, you don't need to be sorry.

Its funny, but sounds like we have the same thing going on!

Grandma cat, Sasha, had 3 litters before we could get her in and fixed, she lost the first 4 right away, then she Had Sweet Pea and Junior, we lost Jr, outside from distemper, Thats when Sweet Pea had Tazzie, we got them both inside then.

6 months later she had Patches, TJ and Bandit. Only TJ is still with us.

The next batch was Precious, Harley and Trouble. Trouble is our other special needs kitty, he is our 3 legged boy that was attacked by coyotes, he's the only one left out of that batch, Thank goodness we got her caught and fixed, She is still here and doing fine (Sasha).

Tiea, Tasha, Boo, Myia, all passed, were all rescues from the humane society, Myia is the last one we lost at 20 yrs old.
We have 8 furbabies left, 3 inside and 5 out, our newest one is a pure black fixed male that someone dumped, Our ages aren't very good either, 7-15, plus I dont know how old these ones are that have been dumped off.

My outside ones really dont want inside, but they stick pretty much to their yard, they dont go wandering off. They come up to get loved on all the time, so they arent really wild. I wouldnt change a thing either, I love them all too!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Oh piney,I had no idea we had such common ground. I have all inside.My current in residence "folks"
-Pixie and Prang(sisters) I got from a lady whose DD was working at a car wash. It was loud so they took them.
-Rugby is from a high kill shelter near Mi. state college where inmates take care of the animals.
-Leo was from a high kill shelter in Genessee County near Flint. His mate died of distemper the day after we got it.
-Maxx came from a kill shelter near Royal Oak.
-Mia and Katrina came from a cluster living wild near our home but Katrina had been dumped or lost.
-Scooter was from a kill shelter near Jackson,mi. because DD was in 5th grade and having a lousy year.
-Gwen I traded for a used computer at the rescue group I was working at.
I've had about 23 more over time-all w/ various stories. Poor mia came w/ 3 rocks in her mite infested and infected ears and burped a mixture of swamp and gasoline from the parking lot puddles she drank from.She's my only unfixed animal as she was so small when I got her. So I captured her and it took a year to domesticate her but you would never know it now.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Oh pinetree, I am so sorry. :( Your story of little kitten touched my heart and I can just imagine how much joy she brought you. Please accept my deepest condolences. :hugz:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Sorry to those who lost furry family members recently. We lost our almost 10 year old bull mastiff mix in Feb. We had her since 6 weeks of age. She's been with us through the birth of 2 children. It became apparent one night she was going, and the ER vet is about an hour away. We kept her at home instead of risking losing her in the back of the car, by herself, in the dark. She passed with her head in my lap, my husband by her side, at the home she basically had all of her life. I can barely stand to imagine how much more painful it is when it's an animal you've kept from the brink of death through sheer will and loving care. It's painful enough, either way.

The ground is thawing here. We had her cremated and will bury her ashes in a few weeks in a sunny spot. She loved sunshine and was happiest dozing in a warm patch.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Khaski, We miss her alot

So sorry to hear about you losing your furbaby. It sure leaves a big hole in your heart when they leave.

Thank you also for the info on the cremation, we are going to find out about it here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts