Frugal Village Forums banner

We may become a Military family

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Lady_V 
#1 ·
... my head is spinning and I keep telling myself "I can do this, we can do this, everything will be okay".

OldMan is only 33 and had thought about joining the Army before but being away from us for 4 years was not something he was going to do willingly (no base in MA).

He is serious about joining the MA National Guard... yes, it's one weekend a month, 2 weeks a year and he goes off for basic, but he will be HERE. There is a base a few towns over.

So far, so good. He is going to contact a recruiter in 2 weeks (he wants to shake the last few pounds so he makes weight before he contacts them). He may have to retake the ASVAB (got a 96 when he took it for the Army) and I am not worried about him doing well on the test.

Once he is "two and done", he wants to go to MOS for Radiology. If he doesn't get in, he will go to the college next town over, it will take him 2.5 years through the CC here. If he goes through the NG, it's 41 weeks... in Texas!!!!! :cry:

I know 41 weeks isn't the end of the world and I tell myself this is something he wants, and he won't be in Iraq, it's only Houston. We will be staying here, Diva has school and I am not ready to battle the ex in court to be able to move to Texas for that time since I want to be here where the best school choice for Diva is.

I know there is a chance he will be sent overseas. For whatever strange reason, I am mentally okay with the thought of deployment... it's the 41 weeks in Texas that has my head spinning... so close yet untouchable.

I don't know if I am ranting, venting or babbling... but thank you for reading all the same!

See less See more
#2 ·
I really dont have any advice or experience but wanted to offer you a big cyber hug! It does sound like a good plan and a good way for him to get the radiology program. Any chance since you have a while until the 41 weeks you could save up to go visit him in TX a few times?

#3 ·
What will he do after his 41 weeks in Texas?

#4 ·
For an MOS schooling, such as AIT, they wouldn't relocate you or have accomodations on base for a NG family. But you'd be able to make a heck of a vacation out of it. I believe the Radiology training takes place on Ft. Sam, which is smack dab in the middle of San Antonio.

It's great that you are being open, understanding, and accepting of Old Man's desire/dream. Being a NG family isn't always easy, but it definitely has perks.

Please keep in mind though that with the Guard it is rarely 1 weekend a month 2 weeks a year, not matter on what they are trying to 'sell' it to him as. And with him wanting a medical field, they may try to tel him that he will be 'non-deployable'. That's a big load of poop--the unit may be a 'non-deployable' unit but the soldier is always deployable.

Hugs to you. Let me know if I can offer any assistance with questions--I did recruiting work for the Guard btw.

#5 ·
Please keep in mind though that with the Guard it is rarely 1 weekend a month 2 weeks a year, not matter on what they are trying to 'sell' it to him as. And with him wanting a medical field, they may try to tel him that he will be 'non-deployable'. That's a big load of poop--the unit may be a 'non-deployable' unit but the soldier is always deployable.
This is very important to remember. My best friends husband is Active Duty and has been told SEVERAL times that once he got home, he'd be transfered to a non-deployable unit...he's looking at his 6th deployment in March.

But I made it through my ex going to OTS in Oklahoma for 6 weeks without me (I was still in school). I went to visit alot and it was fine.

Good luck to you.

#6 ·
Good luck! When J reclassed it was only 5 months, so we moved with him anyway and lived in a hotel. (since J was already in, if the school would have taken 6months it would have been a PCS) It's what worked for our family since he had just come home from a deployment and the new base he was going to was deploying.

I would go and visit. You can find some really good deals sometimes for, like, $29. round trip.

#7 ·
Hey Lady V, is he still thinking about going in?

#8 ·
Yes Nishu... thinking

Right now I am running around cutting the budget here and there trying to get everything paid off, or as close to and have the house in a good order in the meantime,

He had a car accident and emergency oral surgery in the last week so talking about joining has gone to the back burner.

Some times he says "When I join the guard", so it's definitely still an option.

#11 ·
Something to keep in mind and I'm not sure about guard, but I know this works with active duty; Service members civil relief act is where they will lower your outstanding debts to 6% when you join. If you have a car loan, you can legally give it back without it hurting your credit score or have the rates at 6%. It only works on loans, credit cards, etc. that you had before you joined. Hope this helps.

#9 ·
Good luck! I like being a military family. :)

#10 ·
What an interesting opportunity - for all of you!! Keep us updated!!

#12 ·
Have you looked at the pay charts, LadyV?

#14 ·
No... because I know I will go in to total panic mode if I do ... I do know by talking to others that what he would make will not be close to what he is currently making now

#15 ·
#16 ·
:ack: I was right!!!!!!!!!!! That's about 1/3 :thud:

I don't suppose they will start him off as an E8 *bwahahahaha*
Saving graces -- my car is almost completely paid off, I was hoping to get his paid off soon, but at that pay rate, not going to happen -- BUT -- his health insurance is 346/mo and I know it would be less for all 3 of us to be on a military plan... still...

:thud:

Thank you Nishu

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.