Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt like I was on Survivor or something. We made 1/2 of them into roasters, and I've never felt so queasy in all my life. It was pretty funny watching Mr. Macho DH turn a little green himself. I'll save you all the gory details but I just wanted to tell you about when we were gutting them, you pretty much cut out it's butt and pull everything out. Of course, there's tendons holding everything together and while cutting those, you have to make sure not to cut through the intestines. On the first couple ones we did, we were having a hard time with that, and dh was swaring at the thing "Come on @$$hole... you stupid @$$hole" and then finally he got fed up and turns to me "Why do I get stuck with the A$$hole end?" I just told him that if the shoe fits...:D

But now we have 5 roasters and assorted boneless skinless breasts and leg 1/4's filling our freezer. But I don't think I'll be eating any of it anytime in the too near future.

But we did save 1 that I had to hand feed and water for the 1st couple weeks of him life because the other ones were pecking at him and screwed up one leg. He's alot smaller than the other and doesn't walk to well. So he's now ds' pet we named Gimpy (since he just kind of gimps along as he walks)

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Laura....Sounds like the whole experiance was pretty gross, but fresh killed chicken is really so much better tasting, (my ex FIL used to raise and eat their own chickens)..... I 'm glad you kept the poor little lame chicken as a pet!!:D

·
27,948 Posts
Thanks for the laugh Laura! Sounds like a comedy team as you were guys were doing the dirty work. Enjoy your chicken when you can eat it.:toothy:

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
Fresh slaughtered chicken is the best tasting, but if I had to kill them, I would be a vegetarian. lol

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I know exactly how you feel, lol, I butchered a couple roosters a few years ago, not a very pleasant experience and it was quite a while before I felt like cooking them. The worst part for me was the head chopping, yuck, and the other poor chickens were all squawking up a storm in the chicken yard and I just knew they were hollaring "murderer" at me! Hope you enjoy your chicken dinners this winter.

I truly admire the pioneer women who went out to the chicken coop and butchered a chicken for dinner, I can't begin imagining having to butcher the darn thing and then having to cook and eat it the same evening.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Becoming a vegetarian isn't looking too bad I tell ya!

I think if we ever do it again, I would just use them for pieces parts. That way, you don't have to deal with all the innards and it's just like buying a whole chicken at the store and separating it- so it wasn't too bad.

So when I do get the stomache to eat them, I'll have to let you know it it all turned out.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I don't think I could ever eat one of the ones I raised. Im crazy, if I feed it and its in my yard then it is my pet!:yikes:

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I couldn't eat one either if it had been running around in my yard. My dad had chickens and he'd go out and 'get supper' as he called it.I was always 'sick' that night! lol

I'm just weird when it comes to things like that.I won't eat a egg a chicken in my yard had laid either. And I won't eat any brown eggs!
After Steve and I married we were grocery shopping and he wanted brown eggs. I told him i wasn't eating a chicken egg and grabbed the white ones. I thought he would die laughing at me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts