Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

"Using grocery shopping templates available online, I generated a list of almost 50 basic grocery items representing a wide range of price points from nearly all departments of the store: produce, pantry, dairy, deli/meat, bakery and frozen sections. (I only really left out bath/body and cleaning supplies, since I was primarily interested in this from a food cost perspective.) For each item, I compared the Trader Joe's price, sourced from an in-store visit in Queens, New York, to the Stop & Shop price, sourced from Instacart. (For Stop & Shop items that are typically sold by weight, Instacart offers an estimated price per piece.) "

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Aren't insta cart prices always higher than in store price even not counting delivery fee and tip?

I don't know if comparing in store prices to insta cart prices is a fair comparison.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Aren't insta cart prices always higher than in store price even not counting delivery fee and tip?

I don't know if comparing in store prices to insta cart prices is a fair comparison.
It depends on the store. Some stores raise their prices on Instacart, some stores list their actual in-store prices on there. Often there will be some notation saying if it's the in-store pricing.

That being said, I should go read the article and see if it's accurate. I used to shop at Trader Joe's pretty regularly, but I live in a different neighborhood now and it's less convenient for me (plus they're often CROWDED), and I have a pretty nice discount at the grocery store where I now work. At the time, they had the best milk prices compared to other stores in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
After replying I looked up stuff on Trader Joe's and people are saying their prices are good. I have never lived in a neighborhood with a Trader Joe's, so I have never shopped at one.

Some people at work used to bring Trader Joe's bakery stuff to office parties. They tasted pretty good to me. I actually thought they were a higher end place based on that.

Well, I have joked before about having working class tastes. Since I tend to like working class places to eat rather than the trendy or fancy restaurants coworkers always choose for office get togethers.

·
Registered
13,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I copied the list and since I'm going out today I'll stop and do some comparisons. Their list seems to be in the right ballpark, but a few items seem too low from what I remember.

The stores ARE crowded, they all have a small footprint, I think it's designed to get you out of there fast. At least mine always has multiple cashiers, unlike Aldi (lately they've been running a single register). I never go to TJ's on Friday, Sat or Sun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The small store size is actually so they pay lower property rent and have less overhead, which results in lower prices on their products.

I don't know how many people know this, but Aldi and Trader Joe's are owned by the same people. They carry many of the same items, just different store-brand packaging. If I recall, Aldi's prices are still a bit lower than Trader Joe's.

·
Registered
13,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aldi is two different companies in Europe. It used to be one company, but split some years ago. One owns TJ's, one operates the Aldi chain in the US. They do seem to share the same supply chain.

Anyway, I went to TJ's today to get a couple things and took the list and it is pretty much on target. I wasn't able to check every item but got most of them. A few were a bit more, a few were a bit less. Of course the problem with shopping there is not the price of canned beans or frozen peas, it's all the other goodies like the premade salads, imported cheese and wine, chocolate, cookies, and treats that appear in every aisle. If you can stick to basics, their prices are pretty good.

I compared some prices at the local organic store, way higher even on basics like frozen vegs, flour, and canned goods. But they sell eggs for 1.99.

I forgot the list when I did my actual shopping at the chain grocery, but I remembered a lot of the items. And here's where you have to know your prices. On some items they were more expensive, but on some they were as cheap as TJ's or even cheaper. Again, stick to the basics and buy the store brand and stock up on sale items, and IMO you can do almost as well there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This article makes me want to go back to Trader Joe's. We have one in my area, but it is usually very crowded. I may stop in just to pick up eggs, spinach, half and half, dog biscuits, bulk chocolate, and bananas.

I have never been to Aldi, and we have one now. I will have to try it. I have been shopping at Stater Brothers, and their prices seem reasonable. I used to shop at Costco, but stopped during Covid. It was too crowded and people were getting aggressive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts