Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any advice for weaning the pacifier and bottle?

Wesley is 13 months old and I think they need to go. We were going to get rid of them right around his first birthday but he's been sick for pretty much a month straight, so we're hoping now is the time.

He's doing really well without the pacifier. The only time he really takes it is at bedtime. Or when he finds one that he has hidden in my house. (We probably have a hundred dollars worth of pacifiers hidden in my house, no joke, he hides them.)

I've been trying to get him to drink milk out of a cup for the past two months--he has always thrown it back to me. I decided to try it again today and he drank a full sippy that way.

Anyone got any advice/success stories?

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
DD weaned to a bottle by just using a sippy cup at mealtimes right around her first birthday. She loved eating solid (pureed) foods, so she didn't miss the daytime bottles. We just started feeding her regular meals and snacks and didn't offer bottles at all. We cut out the daytime bottles all at once, keeping the night time bottle a few weeks longer, and finally just cutting it out, too. She was easy, thank goodness!

I'm not sure that would work with all kids, though... at nearly nine months, my DS hates solid foods and many days still only takes bottles. So, I'm doubting I'll have the same success in weaning him around his first birthday!

You might try a different kind of sippy cup, too. There are so many different sizes and shapes... maybe he'd like a different kind. There are some with straws that my DD used to love. I think that would be similar to a bottle as far as the sucking reflex... maybe that would help?

·
8,714 Posts
~DD is is 26 months old and we're just now weaning her off of the paci. She has it just for sleeping now. It took over a month(12-13months) to wean her from breastfeeding to a cup. She HATED a cup and the taste of cow's milk. I bought a different brand of cup that had a soft silicone nubby and I put the tiniest amount of chocolate syrup in the milk. Worked like a dream and in a few days she was weaned. I realize that's not the greatest solution but I was desperate and it worked. Good luck!~

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well, I don't know about your child, but DD#1 was able to understand when I told her that she was done with the bottle and she was now going to drink from a sippy cup. We were expecting a new baby when DD#1 was 14 months so we didn't want there to be confusion in case I used bottles with the baby like I had to with DD#1 (which I didn't right away, so there wasn't much of an issue). I just packed up all the bottles and put them away while she was sleeping one day and we never turned back.

We never had to deal with a paci so I don't know what to tell you there. One of my neices used hers until she was almost 3 because she kept finding the "lost" ones.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
DD was pretty easy. We told her that the Bak-Bak (what she called a bottle) was ready for her bak-baks. We made the Bak-Bak Monster kind of like the toothfairy, leave a tooth, get a prize - leave your bottles, get a present. She helped us pack all of her bak-baks in a box and put them outside of the front door one night before bedtime. The next morning she opend the front door and there was a present for her from the Bak-Bak Monster. She never wanted another bak-bak. It worked like a charm. DS was just as easy. He liked being a big boy, and bak-baks were for babies. The Bak-Bak Monster traded him for a present as well.

I took the pacifier away from both kids at 4 months old so that was a piece of cake.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Well, I don't know about your child, but DD#1 was able to understand when I told her that she was done with the bottle and she was now going to drink from a sippy cup. We were expecting a new baby when DD#1 was 14 months so we didn't want there to be confusion in case I used bottles with the baby like I had to with DD#1 (which I didn't right away, so there wasn't much of an issue). I just packed up all the bottles and put them away while she was sleeping one day and we never turned back.

We never had to deal with a paci so I don't know what to tell you there. One of my neices used hers until she was almost 3 because she kept finding the "lost" ones.
This is what we did as well. I never gave the pacifer, had too many memories of a cousin who had one, long after he should have, and the buck teeth . Still makes me ill to see kids walking around a store with a pacifer in their mouth.:shake:

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
. Still makes me ill to see kids walking around a store with a pacifer in their mouth.:shake:
Same here - that is why I took it away from both kids at 4 months. It bothers me to see a toddler walking around, trying to talk with a pacifier hanging out of his/her mouth.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
we switched DS to a sippy at 6 months (at our peds suggestion) so he never missed a bottle it was mainly very very watered down apple juice. we never had a paci but friends have had success with the paci fairy taking them to the babies like on nanny 911. i would put something kind of yummy in the sippy cup and i would try a soft one like Nuby they are very bottle like and easy on the mouth.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Due to my son's lung condition when he was born he had to have a pacifier for soothing purposes, if he cried it could have made the hole in his lung bigger. I had him broken from the pacifier around 5 months....then my husband came home from his two weeks with the Guard and gave it to him. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Wesley is good with the sippy cup. He knows how to use them, he loves using them. But only is there is water in them. If we give milk in them he throws them at us.

He hides his pacifiers. It's like he knows we are trying to take them.

I think we have a 'spirited' child on our hands....

THanks for the help ladies. Tomorrow he's going cold turkey---momma's scheduling him an intervention!

·
8,714 Posts
Wesley is good with the sippy cup. He knows how to use them, he loves using them. But only is there is water in them. If we give milk in them he throws them at us.

He hides his pacifiers. It's like he knows we are trying to take them.
~Sounds just like my Evee! Until the chocolate milk idea she would SCREAM and throw her cup violently. Also with the hiding pacies. Very clever for so little! Evelyn is quite the little diva! How is the intervention going?~

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Intervention Update Day One:

Bottle Tally---1 when he first woke up. Since then, only sippys with milk. Has drank from them, has thrown them at me.

Pacifier Tally---NOT ONCE TODAY!

He didn't go to sleep for his nap until 4 today....he fell asleep in his high chair eating a snack.

AND HE TOOK HIS FIRST STEPS! TWO OF THEM!

Overall---good first day of intervention.

·
8,714 Posts

Bottle Tally---1 when he first woke up. Since then, only sippys with milk. Has drank from them, has thrown them at me.

He didn't go to sleep for his nap until 4 today....he fell asleep in his high chair eating a snack.

~I'm glad to hear you had a good first day. And first steps too? Awesome!~

·
Registered
3,255 Posts

I wondered how Wesley would do!!! I'm so happy that it went well for you.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
INTERVENTION DAY TWO:

BOTTLE TALLY---ONLY HIS BEDTIME BOTTLE! CAN I GET A WHOOP WHOOP!

PACIFIER TALLY---NOT ONCE!

He is doing so amazing. No steps today but he did surprise us by saying poo poo when he was indeed poopy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts