Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another question about weddings :) This time around the subject is....cakes! Who doesn't like cake right?

Wedding cakes are usually (not always) elaborate and the focal point of the room, next to the head table. Do people really eat wedding cakes or just look at it, pose with it and take pics with it? I know its usually served with with the dessert table later in the evening. Is it forgotten? Does anyone actually eat it when it's served up?

What about the option of the cupcakes instead of a wedding cake. It has the cuteness factor, individual portions for portion control. I see these as new trend vs the traditional cake. Sometimes it costs less then the cake and sometimes its more.

Which do you think is more practical/functional...the fancy cake or the cupcakes?

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I eat the cake at weddings. Usually because I have food allergies, and I'm still hungry by the time dessert comes around because I've had to avoid a good deal of the meal LOL

Anyway, for our wedding, only one layer of our cake was real. It was for the cake cutting tradition as well as for us to take home. The cake served to guests was actually a sheet cake in the kitchen that was plated and served that way. Saved a bundle of money that way.

I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference & budget.

I like the idea of cupcakes for easy portioning, but I consider myself a traditionalist, and would prefer to have a cake (if I were to do it all again).

I'm not sure about the cost savings either. I would think a sheet cake, as I mentioned before, would be less expensive as it would be less work to frost vs. individual cupcakes. That probably depends on the baker/bakery providing the cake too.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyway, for our wedding, only one layer of our cake was real. It was for the cake cutting tradition as well as for us to take home. The cake served to guests was actually a sheet cake in the kitchen that was plated and served that way. Saved a bundle of money that way.
I like that idea! I've even heard that people pay to have boxes decorated and layered on top of of a real base layer of a cake to make it seem like a huge grand cake. That is such a great tip. :)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
All great ideas and suggestions. I just went with fdil this weekend to a bridal show. They had a lot of venders for all different wedding services. They had a few cake bakers with samples. They were all delish! One of them had the samples in little mini cupcake cups with white frosting and a small white flower on top. They were sooooo good!

As you can see I would eat the cake at a reception in any form. From the actual wedding cake, sheet cake or cupcakes!!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Libby, to cut down on the cost of the wedding cake often times the wedding cake is really only cake for 2 layers. The top that they save and the cake that they cut for pictures. The rest is styrofoam that has been iced and decorated.

Then they purchase sheet cake from the baker~less expensive then wedding cake or the local grocery in the same colors~very inexpensive and pratical. After the pictures the wedding cake is taken back to the kitchen. The sheet cake is then sliced and brought out for the guest. No one is ever the wiser that the cake they are eating was not the actual wedding cake.

If the baker refuses to make you a cake with styrofoam layers, get another baker. It's done all the time, don't let a baker tell you otherwise.

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Years ago, my boss got married, and neither she nor her husband really liked cake. They serves cherry cheesecake and chocolate brownies, with a small (under 12 inches high) 'wedding cake' to cut for the picture-takers. It is something people still talk about, because the desserts really fit the couple and they were DELISH!

Reactions: Mme Homebody

·
Registered
10,356 Posts
We ate our wedding cake, and I wish we hadn't run off on the honeymoon so fast because I wanted more of it the next day. It was 4 layers, all cake, and it was only about $75. It was a spice cake with walnuts and cream cheese frosting, too. Of course, this was 10 years ago, but even then that wasn't expensive.

What ticks me off about wedding cakes is when the guests get served tiny thin chintzy slices. People will drop 2k on wedding photos and then serve up two forkfuls of grocery store cake.

I was at one wedding where (in full view of guests) the maiden aunts and various family members lined up to receive either entire layers of the cake, or large chunks of it parceled out, and the single layer at the bottom was sliced up for the guests about as thinly as possible. I left feeling like the bide and groom almost didn't want me there.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was at one wedding where (in full view of guests) the maiden aunts and various family members lined up to receive either entire layers of the cake, or large chunks of it parceled out, and the single layer at the bottom was sliced up for the guests about as thinly as possible. I left feeling like the bide and groom almost didn't want me there.
Oh my gosh! I mean I may have spent x amount of $ on it but by all means, I want it eaten up!!! No leftover wedding cake pls! Its meant to be enjoyed.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I can't find the picture of our cake by it's self, but here is the photographers trailer of our wedding. I there is our main cake and the "groom's cake". It's traditional in the south that the groom has a cake that is especially for him that often involves a hobby or favorite thing... for my hubby it was pool.

Our main cake was butter cake with different fillings, one was chocolate, one was praline, one was strawberry and one was butter icing. His cake was Red Velvet.

Every piece of the groom's cake was eaten and all but the bottom layer of the main cake. We took the bottom layer to the homeless shelter the next morning for them to serve it up with the meals.

Our Wedding Trailer

Reactions: Mme Homebody

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
The cake is there to be eaten and enjoyed by the guests first and then I think It would be okay to give what is left over to whoever wants it. Not divy it up and then what is left the guests can get a crumb of.

At a friends dd's wedding she had a beautiful cake with a simple topper of thier initials in fancy lettering. One of the grooms aunt went and stuck these two little weeble looking people right on the top. Didn't ask just did it. My friend went nuts as you can imagine. That later became some of the entertainment when she had a few drinks in her.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
this was my wedding cake. It looks way bigger than it was. Each layer sits on it's own stand and the fountain under it makes it look larger too. We didn't have a huge wedding and the reception was at my in-laws house.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Check with the caterer or facility. Sometimes they charge a cake cutting fee per dlice. So maybe cupcakes would be a savings?

Overall, I think wedding cakes are overpriced. If you don't really want the cake, you could save money on a regular dessert.

For my wedding in 2007, DH and I picked fresh local strawberries at a pick your own. The caterer made strawberry shortcake. But my mom insisted on also having a small chocolate cake. What did I wind up having? The chocolate cake of course!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I love wedding cupcakes. They come on the tiered stand and everything just like a cake would. I think it awesome looking and really beautiful!

But as far as a cake goes its way more than decoration!!!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Jas, Very pretty! I love the red!! and the view of the fruit tree out the window just makes this picture!

Reactions: jas

·
Registered
672 Posts
For my wedding I want a 3 tiered cake for the pictures and cutting and for the wedding party and then cupcakes to match it to hand out to guests. Only one of the 3 tiers will be real, the other two will be fake.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Were having cupcakes at our wedding. I don't want to stuck with extra cake, this way the resort will/ can deliver a few assorted cupcakes to each guest room

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
My son and his wife had a small traditional cake, for cutting and for a few guests to eat. . . but most guests ate cheesecake - done in cupcakes and traditional springform pans. . . I made them all and burned out my mixer and blender making them :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts