Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was really lucky and got another order to make 1 personalised wedding card (client chose the colours) and two Christening Cards, one for a boy and one for a girl. (She had NO ideas for these and left it up to me (except not religious :confused: No comment LOL)

I had to make one card for her to view and if she likes it then I make the second one.

Well you know how awful my confidence is, and now I've done them I'm scared to give them to her LOL ~ So I thought I'd show them to you first. (I'm safe here! ;) )

Here they are:

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
You need some confidence in yourself. How could you think they're anything less than spectacular? :)

·
27,948 Posts
I sound like a broken record, lol. :clap: You did it again Bev!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
You should create a portfolio of cards and teach classes. :)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a wonderful thought ~ Really :hugz:

But if I haven't got the guts to show people the cards they actually ordered from me, I don't think I'd ever find the nerve to think I was good enough to 'teach' other people.

I'd probably :puke: I'm such a loser sometimes LOL. It would be nice though if I could pull it off. What a great job! :)

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
heavensent_7 said:
It's a wonderful thought ~ Really :hugz:

But if I haven't got the guts to show people the cards they actually ordered from me, I don't think I'd ever find the nerve to think I was good enough to 'teach' other people.

I'd probably :puke: I'm such a loser sometimes LOL. It would be nice though if I could pull it off. What a great job! :)
Even if you can't teach a class, you should still consider making a portfolio--so you can show people examples of the things you've done. If they've approached you for note cards but don't realize that you also do Christening cards, you could sell more just by showing them the portfolio.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I think the portfolio is a fantastic idea! Plus it might help out with inspiration later down the road if you need it! Fantastic job. I love how you used the booties, very cute. I like the Wedding card too. I can't tell what is in the upper right hand corner of the card...is it a hole punch...heart shaped?? (My eyes have been acting up recently, cant see good. then i go and tear my last "good" contact, so I am a mess, lol, typing and viewing FV with my nose up to the screen)

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I agree on the portfolio. These cards are great! I just love the christening card. It's so pretty.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all your ideas and comments I really do appreciate them, it's so nice to be able to come here with something (anything) and be able to talk it through rather than just stressing at home alone.

The portfolio idea IS a good one ~ How do you think I could do it? I have some photo's of cards, like the ones here but obviously I'm no photographer and they don't show the kind of detail the cards have in 'real life' ~ Do you think they would still be acceptable to use or should I think of something different?

Thanks again for your support

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh sorry Melissa ~ The bit in the corner of the wedding card is a heart punched hole edged in gold :)

I'm worrying because I'm thinking about taking them apart and starting again and making the cards with an insert which might look much nicer especailly as they will probably be kept for a while.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry another thought! I didn't see your post Sara as we were typing at the same time! It's funny I like the Christening Card much better than the other one too, but the other one is gold and orange :confused: Not colours I personally would have chosen maybe that's why LOL

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
heavensent_7 said:
Thank you for all your ideas and comments I really do appreciate them, it's so nice to be able to come here with something (anything) and be able to talk it through rather than just stressing at home alone.

The portfolio idea IS a good one ~ How do you think I could do it? I have some photo's of cards, like the ones here but obviously I'm no photographer and they don't show the kind of detail the cards have in 'real life' ~ Do you think they would still be acceptable to use or should I think of something different?

Thanks again for your support
I was thinking that when you have the time you could make two of each card as you make them. Then keep one for your portfolio. I guess you could do photos, but you're right, they wouldn't do your cards justice :)

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Your cards (all of them) are beautiful! I think it would be better to have real cards in a portfolio. Maybe you could do a combination of cards and photos. The cards to show off the quality and texture, and the pics to show how creative and inspired you are.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Great job once again! :thumb:

I love the little booties, and to think you never knit before! You would have fooled us all if we didn't know!

I think a portfolio is a great idea with the actual cards too. Go for it Bev, what do you have to loose? You will probably get a lot more orders. :)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm glad you have brains LOL ~ What would I do otherwise?

I never thought of making real cards for the portfolio as I make sooo many it would take forever but as you said before I make notelets and small cards and EVERYTHING!

So if I made the personalised Large cards for the folio and then mixed pics of the others that would be perfect.

It's the personalised ones that are the most expensive and the pictures really don't do them any justice at all ~ I wouldn't buy them from the pics alone, and I think that says alot.

Anyway I changed both the above cards slightly ~ for personalised, large cards with names, dates etc I charge £5 which eBay says is $7.92 US so they aren''t 'cheap' and I just didn't feel either of them warrented this. I don't really like the wedding card anyway because 'I' wouldn't choose those colours but it just wasn't 'right' on white card so I have enlarged it all and put it on cream coloured card it also has a punched insert which it didn't have before.

The baby card has been enlarged and sewn some more and also now has an insert.

I think for that ammount of money they MUST have inserts.

Here they are now:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts