Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you working on this week to save money? I need to really get strict with myself and start saving more than usual. How about you? You can post everything you are doing for the week here.

This thread may help you if you are in the June Debt Challenge. You may see something that may help you save money so you can put the money you would've spent toward your debt.

For today I am saving by:
~clipping and filing coupons for future use
~blinds closed to keep the heat out
~filling out online survey as requested by our health ins. provider for a savings of $10 per month
~cooking and eating all meals at home
~drinking water (free from tap)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Let's see

I just got the ads from the paper. Need to sort and file several weeks worth. (bleh)
DD and I ate popcorn for supper last night. Stove popped...
Today, we're just kinda grazing. Got some leftovers to eat.
Lights off.
A/C off at night (even though it's hot)
Shades drawn
Working on my work from home, trying for 72 hours this payperiod. Don't get paid for Memorial Day. :(

Making Kool-aid to drink. Bought on sale. Less sugar than calls for.

Gonna compare ads and coupons for sales this week. Shop tomorrow, when it's not so busy.

Yesterday I was overcharged getting dd's pics taken. My credit card got charged 2times. 2 hours later, and I got 150.00 worth of pics for 10.00. Still havent' got the credit card situation straightened out, but still working on it.

OY!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Staying home-no gas or $$ spent.
Planned and wrote out the menu for the week-have to do this or unexpected plans derail me.
Waiting to do the laundry until tomorrow-rained here all weekend-weather is supposed to be sunny tomorrow.
Rereading tightwad gazette and TMMO for inspiration.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Eating all meals at home today.
Made out menu plans for the week. I need to stick with it.
Ball game cancelled so saved gas.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
* only going upstreet once, pay bills and shop all on same day
*eating rice for supper with garlic powder
*drinking lots of water
* kids are having slushis for snacks for after school
*raining all weekend, so stayed inside and worked on afghan

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here's my plan for the week (m)

- no eating out
- cook all meals at home
- make cookies for snacks
- line dry all washing
- use up all the bits and pieces in the freezer and fridge in a couple of 'creative' dinners
- look carefully through the grocery flyers to find the best prices on what I need to buy.
- no unnecessary driving
- use blankets and extra clothes to keep warm instead of putting the heater on
- making a menu for the fortnight
- grocery shopping from the menu. Base it around foods on sale this week.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Taking advantage of freebies!
~Such as, our membership to the Y. I'm taking the kids swimming this week at the Y.
~We're going to the park with snacks and some left-over juice boxes from a cook-out we had
~Going to the library tomorrow to get books and videos (kids love this)
~Riding our bikes out back
~Hanging out with friends

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have been a bit off the bandwagon this week so.....
~stay home. I have been doing alot of unneeded driving lately.
~hang clothes to dry
~eat at home only
~drink water more
~ cook from pantry and freezer only

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Since it has been raining off and on today I hung up some laundry on lines in the office. Still waiting for it to dry.

Dinner at home
Did get hair cut and colored but it only cost 1/2 of what it should

Kellie

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
~DH grilled the steaks outdoors to eliminate more heat.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Am going to bed earlier to stay warm without running heater
Bulk cooking tonight- meat meals for next 4 days
Finally having car boot sale on Saturday- will pay down some cc debt
Tomorrow will interline bedroom curtains with old single flannelette sheets I no longer use
Am making herb tea in thermos instead of boiling kettle several times in the evening

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Monday 6/5
~combined errands to save gas
~hanging laundry outside
~all the lights are off
~blinds closed on the south side, open on the north side to keep the heat out
~dinner from the pantry/freezer
~lunch is leftovers

·
Registered
589 Posts
~no driving this week except thurs for bills and shopping for food
~keeping most appliances off even the tv
~cook at home all days
~ cut groceries down to 40.00 dollars this week
~iam buying a bigger portable fan to keep ac off or at least turned down(friend had an amazing fan and i kept the whole living room bareable)
~hang clothes

·
Registered
902 Posts
Hung laundry outside to dry
No lights on
Cooked a chicken this morning-made soup and have enough chicken for 2 more meals
Made homemade cheddar crackers
Stayed home

·
Registered
623 Posts
I need to get seriously on board with this challenge! DHs big student loan payment starts in July along with our car insurance coming due! I forgot about insurance! Between that and loan pmt. I need to come up with around 900 bucks extra. Not sure how that's going to work out!

1. PRINTED DIGITAL PICS AT HOME YESTERDAY INSTEAD OF TAKING MY MEMORY CARD TO WALMART. (WE HAVE A PHOTO PRINTER BUT IT TAKES FOR EVER. I MOVED THE PRINTER OUT TO THE LIVING ROOM AND READ TWG WHILE I PRINTED FOR LIKE 3 HOURS.
2. COMBINED COUPONS, RITE AID WEEKLY SALES, & RITE AID REBATE BOOK TO SAVE 50%. (I HAD A $28 TOTAL BEFORE COUPONS AND REBATE CHECK. WILL HAVE ONLY SPENT $14.00 ONCE I GET MY REBATE)
3. ATTEMPTING NOT TO GO TO THE GROCERY AT ALL THIS WEEK. IT'S GOING TO BE TOUGH WITH DH BUT I'LL MANAGE.
4. RETURNED A PAIR OF SHOES THAT I GOT ON IMPULSE AT TARGET. (DON'T NEED 'EM...I'D RATHER HAVE THE $20.00)
5. EATING AT HOME ALL WEEK.
6. MADE A NEW NECKLACE TO MATCH A BRACELET I MADE A FEW WEEKS AGO. USED ALL SUPPLIES I HAD ON HAND.
7. SHOPPING FOR CAR INSURANCE QUOTES TO MAKE SURE WE ARE GETTING THE BEST DEAL BEFORE WE PAY IN JULY.
8. TAKING CLOTHES TO CONSIGNMENT ONE DAY THIS WEEK. (MADE $40.00 LAST TIME I TOOK CLOTHES.)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Cut the kids hair. They actually beg me to - just so they can have a lollipop.
That's easily $35 bucks saved if you include tip. Probably spent 25 cents in lollipops ;)

Taking the kids to a friends house to play later. We'll have dinner there and DH will fend for himself - a small price to pay for coming home to a quiet house.

Collecting money for end of year teachers' presents and school present at preschool. I figured having people pitch in $5 per teacher (there's 2) plus $5 as a donation for the school is cheaper than buying something for everyone. But more importantly it will be nicer for the teachers to have a gift certificate for $85 to a greenhouse than it will be to have a bunch of junk that says "world's best teacher" that they'll never use. As the preschool is in someone's house, I'll giver her the choice of having a gift certificate to the greenhouse or to an educational supply store. This school did no fundraising of any sort during the year and you don't appreciate that until either you go somewhere else or hit public school.

·
Registered
848 Posts
~Eating all of our meals at home
~Drinking water
~Have the doors open and fans on to keep house cool, enjoyin early morning temps
~Baking cookies, so I don't buy sweets
~Just enjoying the beauty of our home

·
Registered
767 Posts
6/4
~Did all laundry in cold except whites(couldn't hang outside, I don't have a line..yet)
~A/C off all day
~Made cookies for dessert
~Cooked all meals at home
~Stayed home all day
~Went thru pantry/fridge/freezer to make a list of necessary items only
~Watched movies that we already had

6/5
~Packed frozen leftovers for lunch
~Cooked all meals at home
~Saving pop cans for recycle
~Going to shoot for $30 grocery budget at Aldi's this week

This week I am going to try and not make any more of my "morning stops"
to Speedway for a soda....this is my downfall and I always usually end up buying something else...small leaks can sink a ship, right?

·
Registered
552 Posts
~turned AC up from 79 to 80
~running ceiling fans in all living areas
~washing sheets and towels with HM soap
~using library materials for entertainment
~making dinner from stuff found in freezer
~about to deposit a check into savings (I filled in for a friend at the church office, so I earned a little money!)
~seriously considering baking bread this afternoon (my favorite recipe makes 4 loaves!)
~making a friend's birthday present

·
Registered
264 Posts
~turned ac off and opened windows (love that fresh air)
~cooked all meals at home
~combined errands to save gas
~found a "free air" pump for tires
~leaving the light off most of the day and just opening blinds and curtains

1 - 20 of 32 Posts