Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH may be (slowly) getting on board. Used to be that he didn't think anything was worth doing if it only saved us a few pennies. Last week he noticed that milk by the gallon was .10 a quart cheaper and suggested that we get a gallon and set it aside in 1/2 gallons, the way we usually use it.

To that end, we bought a 1/2 gallon container, made sure it would fit in the door of our fridge, washed it and the put the milk in it (with a date sticker on the top). The few days that this has been in the fridge it has been fine, so he just bought another 2 quart bottles (the market didn't have a 1/2 gallon one). So we're going to try this. If it doesn't work...we'll have lots of water bottles for the summer to carry around in the car. If it works, we'll save $$ all the time on a regular purchase.

The milk thing isn't so important, but we used to have "heated dicussions" about whether or not it was worth my time to try and save a few pennies here, a few pennies there.

With luck, I won't starve to death in my old age!

Judi

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
That's great! It is difficult sometimes for people to realize how fast those pennies add up! :)

Reactions: Judi Dial

·
19,119 Posts
That's a great start JD!! IMHO it's always best to start slowly, easier to build a strong base for the future!!

Reactions: Judi Dial

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I'm curious as to why you break the milk down into two separate, newly purchased containers? Are you not able to keep the milk in the original container, as buying new containers negates the discount you get buy buying the milk in the first place.

Good news on your husband, though.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We use 1/2 gallon usually just in time to keep it from going bad. So the idea is that if we break it up we may be able to keep the smaller amounts fresh in their separate bottles. As I said, we aren't sure this will work.

The first step was to find a 1/2 gallon container that fit in our fridge door, which we did.

The second step ws to put 1/2 gallon of milk in that and drink and use it as usual, to see if it would go bad before we got to it, and it didn't.

The third step was supposed to be another 1/2 gallon container, but DH could only find quarts, so right now we're using the milk in the big container, then we'll start on the little ones. If we get to the end of the last container before it goes bad, we'll keep buying the cheaper gallons. If that last quart is spoiled, we'll make biscuits and figure that the .10 a quart we could save on the cheaper gallon we'd lose in spoiled product, so it isn't worth it, and we'll have bottles for lemonade, etc.

Judi

·
Registered
62 Posts
i'd suggest NOT keeping your milk in the door but on a lower shelf and back a bit. the door isn't as well insulated, at least not when open and even those small temp shifts can affect the length of freshness. of course that mucks up your plan a bit.....its great that you guys are working on solutions together !!!

·
2,688 Posts
Good job :)

If you think the milk is being too long in the frig, you can always freeze some.

I don't drink fresh milk, nor do I cook with it. I use powdered.
The hubby is the milk drinker and I usually buy 2 gallons at a
time for him. I normally get it at Aldi's. Any milk I get , I check
the expiration date, and get the one with the longest date
on it.

If we're bragging on hubbies, mine got big brownie points this
past week. We got given a wild pig, and when the hubby cut
it up, he saved the fat for the birds. I bagged it up for him
in smaller pkgs. I was pricing suet in the store, and it's
$ 1.39 a pound. I know I put up over 10 pkgs. I guess I
have complained a bit much about buying suet for the wild
birds. It must have sunk in .............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts