Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so today i locked my keys in my truck....okay...maybe that's no big deal to some of you...but in all of my 43 years (and yes...now everyone knows how OLD i am too)....hey...i will blame it on 'senility'.... but i have NEVER done that before in my whole life.... and while i am on the subject...i have NEVER lost my keys or my purse.... (okay...i see what i have just done....jinx!)....lol:shake:

so today is a bad day for me......:eek:uch:
can i have some pity pls.......

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I did that ONCE, and my cell phone was in the car with my keys. It was right after I made a two hour trip to meet my mother at a doctor's appt, only to find out that they had pushed the appt up early and no one had bothered to tell me, so she was already on her way home. I was so ticked off at my family, I didn't even think about it as I got out of the truck to fill the tank. Luckily, because I was at a gas station, the guy let me use his phone to call a locksmith. About $130 and three hours later, I drove home. Never again.

·
Super Moderator
19,836 Posts
We did that the week after we bought our truck last fall. The lock button is in a location where it's easy to bump as we get out of the truck. Luckily, some sympathetic person gave my husband a ride home to get some other keys and our van, and then wouldn't accept any money for it, so it didn't cost us anything except the gas for the van.

We immediately went to the hardware store and had extra keys made, one of which is now hidden on the outside of the truck.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I've done that enough for everyone who hasn't :lol: I once locked my keys in my car with my car running....I was in the middle of the boonies. I had to get a co-worker to come pick me up and drive me home to get the spare keys then drive me back to my car. Good thing gas was cheap back then :eek:

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i want to say thanks to everyone for telling me they did it too....but then that makes me feel bad knowing you all have done it....

so instead of thanks...i'm going to say 'I'M SORRY'.........:shrug2:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I did it last week when I went to a school meeting and didn't notice the keys missing til the meeting was over. It happened to me one time when I was out of town with a toddler and infant in 90-100 degree heat. It wasn't my fault that time though. I had set the car to lock, set the keys on the seat to readjust the baby, and the wind blew the car door shut. Fortunately I got hold of a female cop quickly and she turned her air up as high as it would go and put me and the kidlets into the front seat of her squad car while she waited outside for a locksmith.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I did it once at the gas pumps. Got out, out of habit locked the car, keys on the dash. I had to call a tow truck to slim jim the lock to get it open. It took forever and it was a busy, sunny afternoon at a convenience store/gas station. Many people were very annoyed with me that afternoon. The store said didn't have a hanger or anything and wouldn't look for a piece of wire.

Oh yeah, I lost them once at the beach, never found them. I had a spare inside the car and was able to get a hanger to get it open.

My keys have been locked in my car many times. Usually, it's an opportunity to be creative. :)

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
My co-worker is like that. She's got a spare set hidden everywhere. She always manages to do this and calls me for a ride home to pick up a spare set lol.

I have yet to do it. I'm overly paranoid about leaving keys in the car. I always take them with me. How sad is this? I'll get out and use the remote lock and lock the car only to go pump gas into it LOL.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have locked my keys in the more times than I can count. Thank goodness for AAA.
On time I locked my keys in the car at State Park in the middle of nowhere. Of course my cell phone was in the car and I had borrow one from a stranger. Did I mention that my brother started to have a hypoglycemic attack while waiting for the lock smith. It was a great day.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have done this sitting in my driveway. Locked the car keys and house keys in the car. had to call dh at work to come home and let me in the house to get the spare.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'm not bad about that (though I have done it twice), but I am so bad about losing my keys elsewhere (in my house, in the park, at work, at Wal-Mart, etc.) that various friends have offered to keep copies of my car and/or house key for me so that I can call and have one brought when needed. I am also bad about locking all the keys in the house or in my office - which is still a nuisance but somehow feels less irresponsible than losing them. I have long been very good at breaking and entering my own home without damaging it - though I occasionally sport a rather curious bruise or scrape. Unfortunately, I am incompetent at breaking into my car - even when I got REALLY frustrated and tried to break a window because there WERE no open locksmiths on a weekend in a different town and the cops said they were not permitted to help and I had my son and a friend out for lunch and had to get the friend back to military school and my son home to go to his school the next day - ok, did I mention that one of the 2 times I did lock keys in the car was a doozy?

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I locked my keys in my trunk once. I was getting stuff out of the trunk, laid the keys down and shut the lid...needless to say DH had to break the lock on the trunk to open it. I didn't have a spare set until later that afternoon when I ran down and got one made.....with the trunk banging up and down!

Reactions: sabrelvssammy

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I've done it once too. DH's truck locks when you start it. It was a cold morning, and I went out and started it and shut the door and....oh crap!

It cost me $60 to have a tow truck come out and unlock the doors. Bet I never do that again!

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
dont feel bad My hubby did it 2x. both times it cost over $110 .he got key made hidden in back of truck box(tools).

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I have had it happen four times in my life. The first time was NOT my fault! My parents were visiting and my mom was helping me load groceries into the back of the car. She put my purse in there and shut the hatch. Where were my keys? In my purse, of course! My DH and dad laughed themselves silly over this when they came by with the other keys.

I did it once with a rental car...IN MY DRIVEWAY! My car was in the shop and I accidentally locked them inside. I have AAA, so it was no big deal.

I Locked them in a HOT car filled with groceries one day. Our sitter gave me a ride home to get my keys. I could have walked, but I hav efish inside the car and did NOT want to leave it there any longer than absolutely necessary.

The last time was at the shelter last year. I pulled up and there was a puppy abandoned at our gate! I grabbed my cell out of the trunk to call our ACO...and the trunk got shut as a reflex. I went home and got my other set. Boy, was I mad at whoever abandoned that poor puppy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts