Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The big 40 hit yesterday. I was so busy with Easter that it came and went without much thought.

I am not really bummed about this birthday as I hear some people can be. On the other hand I thought that my life would be a little more settled and the plans that were made when I was younger would be accomplished by now. Has anyone else felt this way?

Well at least I feel I belong to this section of FV now.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
:bdaypty: homekeepn at 40 your are only a spring chick. Hope you had a good day.

Reactions: Homekeepn

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
What I learned about being 40 is that I no longer give a crap about what people think. It is very freeing. And, you know, I figure that I will get to whatever I get to.

Happy birthday!!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
What I learned about being 40 is that I no longer give a crap about what people think. It is very freeing. And, you know, I figure that I will get to whatever I get to.

Happy birthday!!
I'm feeling that now, only a few months until I turn 40 so I guess I'm practicing.

Happy Belated Birthday, Homekeepn!!

I have hit many of my goals that I had set for myself but now I have found myself in a ton of debt so my next goal is to get out of that. I did think I would be more responsible with money than I have been, but its never too late for that to change.

Hugs to you and welcome to the Third Agers group!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I SO AGREE!!! Also as I hit 40 then 45 I just kept feeling better about myself and life in general.
Happy Birthday!!!:king3:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you ladies for all your thoughts. I feel that it is a good age to be. I wouldn't want to go back to the teenage years for anything. I would be ok to go back to my twenties. And just forget about going back to my thirties. That time period can just as well be in the past.

Some days I feel as young as my children and other days I feel like their grandmother.

Here is another question, kind of off topic but just came to mind. Has anyone purposely had their children young so you would still be fairly young when the kids left the nest? And if so has it worked out liked you planned?

With the way the economy is I can see my kids staying on for years still. Of course the youngest is only 17.

I am looking forward to just the hubs and me again though. Does that sound selfish?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I will be 44 and DH will be 45 when the last of the boys turn 18. I have about 3 years and 9 months left. No, it doesn't seem bad at all. As for them actually leaving the nest, yeah, we aren't planning on that really. The economy sucks too badly. If they can get a job, then we figure that they will live with us to save money so that more can go towards going to school.

We didn't really have them young. I was 25 when we had Beak and 27 with the twins. And, none of them were planned.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Thank you ladies for all your thoughts. I feel that it is a good age to be. I wouldn't want to go back to the teenage years for anything. I would be ok to go back to my twenties. And just forget about going back to my thirties. That time period can just as well be in the past.

Some days I feel as young as my children and other days I feel like their grandmother.

Here is another question, kind of off topic but just came to mind. Has anyone purposely had their children young so you would still be fairly young when the kids left the nest? And if so has it worked out liked you planned?

With the way the economy is I can see my kids staying on for years still. Of course the youngest is only 17.

I am looking forward to just the hubs and me again though. Does that sound selfish?

No, it does not sound selfish. My DH and I are (as much as we love our boys) looking forward to a time when it's just us. We've never had just us, I had our oldest before we met. Soon after our DS2 came along, we've worked very hard raising our boys, and we look forward to enjoying the company of just each other. We really like each other, and can't wait for our lives to be just us with a sprinkling of Grandbabies. :)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts

?
Yes and yes, although my ex and I thought we would still be married during these empty nest years. We divorced after only four years and I do kinda blame immaturity on a lot of that. (I was 19 when married) We have both found love and happiness on our own since then. He has a step son yet to finish raising but I am ready for the empty nest. My ldr has three small children and I am not quite willing to jump into that situation just yet, I want some empty nest time. If that's selfish, so be it. I figure at least I am recognizing it in myself and not diving head first into something I don't really want.

One downside to having children young so is that some people feel they missed out on those "party years" and try to recapture it later. I am not a party-er but have seen other women donning those mini skirts and fake tans of their yesteryears and it makes me cringe. I am guessing that comes out more if it wasn't maybe a planned situation. I dunno.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Happy belated birthday! I recently turned 41. Our kids just turned 18 and 15. I AM SO looking forward to time for just dh and I one day even though I love my kids to pieces.

·
27,948 Posts
Belated Birthday Greetings! Welcome to the third agers, a group filled with wise and powerful people, lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts