Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The excitement!!!

7: 02am - I was starting our fireplace this morning(wood) and the chimney was cold, despite warming it - did a little back draft and blew the smoke out of the chimney and into the house, setting off the smoke detector that is connected to the alarm company. I turn it off at the panel... cancel the code. They are supposed to call us first to verify, but they dispatched the fire department!

7:05 am - Then they called my cell phone. From the time they called, their auto dialer must have misdialed the house number, as they said they called and got voice mail, which we don't have. Anyway, from the time they called the cell, the siren was on shortly after the phone rang, the fire department was here by 7:10, but had turned off their siren at 7:08 as the alarm company got a hold of them. Considering it takes ME about 10 minutes to drive PAST the fire department from here once I'm in the vehicle, but more like 15 to get to the garage, back out, etc, they got 3 men ready and HERE in approx 6 minutes.

A little peeved at the company, but we get one false alarm free per calendar year. Next time there would be a charge. I need to see about relocating that smoke detector. As the home one which is close to the fireplace didn't go off, this one did. Which in a real emergency is good, but for little things like this is silly.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I'd ask the alarm company to give you another 'free one' for the year since this was a mix up on their end. They may have dialed the wrong # or have incorrect info on file and as a result the fired dept was dispatched before they made contact with you - as is their procedure.

Call in to the customer service to verify your info & call list for any future emergencies to be safe.

The fire dept does suggest replacing both store bought smoke/fire alarms and CO2 alarms every 8-10 yrs - not just the batteries annually. This help ensures you have a working one and not just a decoration (as is the case with yours?) I do know the smoke/fire alarms that are wired into your alarm system are more sensitive though. I kinda like that aspect.

And yes that fire dept is sure on the all...they're always the first ones there when 911 is called.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The detectors are all under 2 years old, and had fresh batteries this month. So that isn't the issue. We also have a hard wired one that is brand new too, and it is 3 feet from the alarm one. It didn't go off either.

They do have the right number, but the autodialer must have malfunctioned.

It isn't the alarm company that would charge us for the dispatch, it's the city. I understand why, it's a valuable resource.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.