Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having SO MUCH trouble figuring out what to eat since one of our guests is extremely allergic to onions and all onion by-products including onion powder and anything oniony like leeks, shallots, spring onions etc.

Do you have ANY idea how many products have onions in them and how many recipes ask for onions and depend on them for taste - A LOT.
I wish this was just a pot luck kind of thing since I can cook enough 'normal' things without onions however this is a fancy kind of dinner party that we do every so often.

So far I have an
appetizer (bruschetta with rucola/grated mozzarella and pesto),
a starter (smoked salmon gateau with cognac/creme fraiche sauce) and a dessert (homemade tiramisu and strawberries marinated in a prosecco syrup). I have tried all of these things before and they aren't too difficult to make.

I am completely stuck with my main course.
I have thought of making beef wellington but the cost of the meat is holding me back since beef fillet is EXTREMELY expensive here.

Can anyone help?
Thanks

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Have you asked for suggestions? "What do you like to eat? I'd love to make one of your favorites?"

Maybe keep it simple, herbed chicken on the grill, steamed vegetables, or a garden salad with oil and vinegar.

·
4,028 Posts
Is lamb available and less expensive? You could roll a boneless leg of lamb around an herb filling or do lamb Wellington.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is lamb available and less expensive? You could roll a boneless leg of lamb around an herb filling or do lamb Wellington.
The guy that is coming likes all food that he isn't allergic to and doesn't really have a favorite - and because we do this every so often with the same people, we always surprise each other with the menu.

Last time I did meat fondue which was EASY except for the sauces - I had to make every one of them from scratch since almost all ready made sauces have some sort of onion in them.

Lamb is almost as expensive as beef fillet here - if you can get it - lamb isn't eaten a lot in Holland (personally I love it).

Since I was in the butcher's shop a couple of hours ago and really had to finally make a decision, I decided to go for beef stewed in red wine and then at the last minute adding fried mushrooms and bacon pieces (done this before and it was great and not too difficult).
Serving with green bean bundles rolled in bacon and potatoes duchesse.

Had to change my dessert since 3 supermarkets didn't have the marscapone needed for the tiramisu and I certainly wasn't going to waste any more time looking for it.
Am now going to make my grandmother's sherry trifle which is also VERY VERY good.
If you want the recipe I'll give it to you.

Thanks for your ideas.

Reactions: mh3rdwheel

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
pork tenderloin wild rice stuffing, salad, beautiful rolls 2 dessert ideals for u one is chocolate cake soaked in Kahula or baileys irish cream cut in to cubes cool whip, cream cheese whipped together and chocolate pudding or hot fudge layered in individuals bowls or glasses or a punch bowl. 2 a yellow cake soaked in orange liquor crushed pineapple cream cheese mix and whipped cream. Good luck.

·
4,028 Posts
That menu really sounds good. Trifle is the best :) and I would love to know her recipe, thank you.

Reactions: Dutchie

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are a lot of steps in the recipe but they aren't hard.

Firstly in a tall bowl (preferably glass since it shows off the various layers), place a layer or two of sponge fingers (depends on how tall the bowl is), gently drizzle sweet sherry onto them until they are saturated but not leaking any of the sherry if you tilt the bowl.
On top of that make a layer of well drained, canned fruit (cut smaller if necessary)- anything will do.

Prepare a jello pudding using a little less water than asked for.

If you are very well organized you will have made a jello (any kind/flavor/color beforehand so that it has now already cooled a good bit but has NOT SET and gently pour this onto and into the sponge fingers and fruit, filling up both layers without disturbing anything.

When the jello has been poured and has formed another layer including the sponge fingers and fruit, place the entire bowl in the fridge to allow the jello to set completely.

Regarding the jello - I usually use strawberry and for the fruit I use mixed fruit but the great thing about this recipe is that you can use your favorite fruit and flavors or whatever you have on hand.

While the entire thing is setting, make a warm custard pudding, once again using slightly less milk than asked so that it will stiffen well. Let the custard cool down till cold. When the custard is cold remove any skin that has formed and mix the pudding with a mixer or whisk to remove any lumps that have formed.

Carefully pour the cold custard on top of the set jello/fruit/sponge fingers being careful not to disturb anything - thus forming another layer.

The last layer consists of a layer of whipped cream - with no sugar - believe me you don't need it.

Make swirly patterns on the cream when you have finished or any other design you like or just spread the cream out - whatever you like.
Leave everything in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.

The best thing ever is to make enough for a little bit of leftovers and leave it in the fridge overnight - it is THE BEST leftover EVER!!!!!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
DANG.....Wait up for me Dutchie.
I'm coming for supper, save me a spot!

Reactions: Dutchie

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I guess that is what I was suggesting we call it a punch bowl cake basically layering cake, whipped cream, pudding, fruit. It is seriously Yummy. Enjoy and have fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts