Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started taking FPU classes. We're in week 3...you know, the one where you have to come up with a bbbbbbbbbbudget. :yucky:

Needless to say, I've been perfecting my procrastination streak. I have the forms printed, but I can't seem to reach that 8 inches over and get them and get to work on them. I'm beginning to think it could take days to find a sharpened pencil.

Part of it is that I know it's going to be painful. I don't like being restricted. I've been doing Weight Watchers for 8 months and have lost 20 pounds. Why? I'm afraid to 'feel the burn' and to just do it. I know both WW and FPU will be good, but it's that 'walking through the valley of pain' thing that I'm not diggin'.

Can you lift up a prayer that I can get over this block and JUST DO IT?

Thanks!
Tonya

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm a procrastinator, as well, so I definitely have compassion. Do it with a buddy and set goals your buddy will hold you to and ask you about.

I actually didn't have trouble setting up my budget; I had trouble being TRUE to it. All it hurt was myself by taking longer to accomplish my goal. I wish you the absolute best, and I will definitely offer up a prayer for strength for you.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
You can do it!! This is your first step to having a debt free future! We have faith in you! :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sending you positive budgeting thoughts........now go PICK UP THAT PENCIL!!! :cheer4: LOL! You can totally do this. I actually love budgeting. I've had mine in place for years now, and I love to tweak it every couple of weeks to see how much more money I can squeeze out! The longer you go with the DR program, the more fun budgeting becomes (IMO!)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I used to hate budgeting, it seems like such an oppressive thing. But once I started doing it, it became really freeing. Now that I use envelopes, I don't really think about it or tweak it very much any more. Before I used the envelopes, I was constantly fixing and adjusting it. So any budget you do right now is not set in stone. You can always add something that you forgot later, or gradually cut down or eliminate categories as you become more gazelle.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Forget the word budget. Call it a spending plan.

You are just telling your money where you want it to go.

You knew this part was coming when you decided to sign up for the class.

You can do it. :)

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
The feeling of restriction lasts about 2 months.

Into the 3rd month, you start realizing that you have money to make sure your bills are paid on time, your food is on the table, and you're making progress getting out of debt.

Into the 3rd month, the budget begins to feel like FREEDOM.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the first pass done....then I realized that it didn't include things like "Critter Feed". So more tweaking today.

We have under $3K in debt and are already planning on having htat knocked out in the next 8 months. We're doing OK financially, but it's not secure enough and I want to have more in savings. As it is now, big things like a vacation mean that we have to skimp somewhere else for a few months. We vacay every 5 years, but this year we're going to WI to celebrate my parents 50th Anniversary. My brother and SIL are giving all of us their timeshare time and extra points, so it'll cost very little, but I still need to come up with extra gas and eats. It's things like that that strap us. If I had more in savings, it would be better.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I am great at avoidance so I can sympathize. My place was always sparkling clean when there was a big paper due. And I used to avoid the pile of bills for months, and end up 60 days late on $10 payments. Just pick up the pencil!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I am a BIG procrastinator and can sympathize. I was also TERRIFIED of putting budget to paper because I always kept everthing in my head and was afraid to deal with the actual balances! :nerv2:
Here's the surprise coming your way though -- once you put it on paper you realize that you have LESS debt and MORE money to work with, and MORE flexibility than you've allowed yourself to admit.
You will feel a huge burden being lifted when you deal with specifics. :relieved: Good luck - sending prayers your way -- now get that step done and pat yourself on the back!! You are on your way!!:grwave:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
It will be overwhelming, at the start...but Greebo summed it up best- once you get over that hump, 'JUST DO IT' and live by it- it's FABULOUS. Not a DR phrase, a Suze OPrman phrase, but ' you gotta face it to erase it'. The budget is not bringing anything new to the table, it's just you, straightening it all out, taking the guess work every paycheck out of it. Imagine...once you're done, you'll know EXACTLY how you're gonna pay your ills etc each month. You'll realize, in hindsight, the 'pain' is actually when you DONT have a budget!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I DID IT!!!!

I did a budget BEFORE I found out I could download the info from my bank to and Excell spreadsheet. After customizing the spreadsheets (had to take half of 2 statements to get one full month's snapshot) and analyzing it I've come to the conclusion that I NEED TO KEEP MY ARSE OUT OF WALMART. I thought I spent about $700 on groceries and household. WRONG. It's more like $1300. :sucker:

So now I'm going back to a NO WAL MART dare. Can I stay out of that place the rest of February? I don't NEED anything from there-especially since I have all of my Valentine stuff and got my oil changed this weekend. If I need produce they have this place called The Grocery Store. I can go there instead....and bring my coupons.

I've found that I can't go to a Zero balance. I have about $300 in there that I can't allocate. I don't have enough faith in my budgeting skills to totally 'spend' every dollar. Maybe later, but not for a few months. Maybe it's because I grew up on the poor side or what, but I just can't do it.

Keep praying! This is going to be a bumpy ride!

·
Registered
480 Posts
wow, what a revelation you had -- now aren't you proud of yourself for going for it and doing the budget? I am thrilled for you and will be praying for you to stay out of walmart for February (and maybe even March since it seems to be a bad place for you).

Good work!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've found that I can't go to a Zero balance. I have about $300 in there that I can't allocate. I don't have enough faith in my budgeting skills to totally 'spend' every dollar. Maybe later, but not for a few months. Maybe it's because I grew up on the poor side or what, but I just can't do it.

Keep praying! This is going to be a bumpy ride!
I didn't like getting to that 0 balance either at first. Now, no big deal, but then, yeah, I was nervous. So here's what I learned to do. In Excel, I also keep a running list of how much money is still in each category at the end of the month, and I just keep it automatically adding (complete with where that money is located - checking or savings). The extra money at the end, I'd put into "savings," but then I'd split that category in my Savings tab to one in checking and one in savings. So I have a cushion in checking, just in case, plus my BEF in my savings account.

HTH!

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Zero Based Budgeting doesn't mean Zero in the bank account.

Zero based budgeting is about allocating every dollar coming in before it comes in so it goes out where it's supposed to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.