Frugal Village Forums banner

Were you engaged before getting married?

2K views 22 replies 22 participants last post by  milach 
#1 ·
Who picked out the ring?
We weren't engaged first and picked out our rings together. I have a gold band with diamonds (like an anniversary band) and don't have an engagement ring. Gabe has a gold band with a cross on it.

#2 ·
Dh and I got engaged in August of 1997 and married in October 1998. He said he woke up one morning and said to himself, "I absolutely cannot live another day without knowing that Amy is going to be my wife." He called in sick, went to Fidelity Diamond and bought me a ring he thought I would like (LOVE IT!) and then tried to go ask my father for my hand, but couldn't figure out how to get into my Dad's office. So, then he came to my house because he said he couldn't wait another second and proposed. He put the ring on a Rangers hockey keychain because I had lost one just like it a few weeks earlier. He came over and gave me the keychain and said how much it had cost him. I started railing into him on spending a lot of money on a keychain (I didn't see the ring because it is platinum and was on the silver keychain part) and he patiently waited until I saw it. I almost passed out, then he got down on one knee and said the most beautiful words and asked me to be his wife. I said yes, and we went to my Dad's office together. We picked out our wedding bands together. Mine is platinum with diamonds in it (as Sara said, like an anniversary band) and Rob's is a plain, thick platinum band.

#7 ·
Engaged in Oct. 1986, picked out the rings together, married in Dec. 1986.

#8 ·
We got engaged on July 8, 1984 (my 21st birthday) and married on March 9, 1985. We had my ring made since the diamond in my ring was the original middle stone of my great grandmother's ring and we had to wait for my parents to come for a visit to bring the diamond with them. I had seen a similar setting to what we had made and loved it, but my diamond would have been too big for it. I really love my wedding ring set!!! DH's ring had 6 little diamond in 2 rows going on the diagonal and he also loves his.

#9 ·
Engaged in Sept 2001 married in June 2002.

We got the diamond from my moms old enagagement ring my dad gave her in 1969. I picked out aobut 4 bands I liked and then he went to the store and picked out one (it was the one I wanted the most...he's so smart...lol). As for the wedding bands we picked those out together. His is a comfort fit gold band and mine is a 2 tone anniversary band with 7 little bitty diamonds in the center that matches the one we had made perfectly.

#10 ·
We got engaged inOctober, 1979 and were married in December, 1981. We chose my ring together and I had to replace it last Christmas. The band was worn almost all the way through. We used the large diamond in it with another diamond and put a sapphire in between them on a double band that a friend of mine designed and made. I get compliments on it all of the time! DH has a plain gold band that he wears at home and after work. I am GLAD he doesn't wear it at work; as a mechanic, it is dangerous to wear things on your fingers!

#12 ·
We were engaged and dh picked out the ring. It was a simple, small engagement ring with a matching band. His band matches the set. When we had been married 25 yrs. he had it made into another ring for me which I love. I still have the original band and he still wears his.

#13 ·
Steve picked out my engagement ring and proposed December 1988 and we were married June 2,1989. We both picked out our wedding bands.

#14 ·
We got engaged late Nov. '81. Originally planned to get married in April of "82, but dh was farming and that isn't a good time for a honeymoon- so we moved the date up to Jan. 9th of '82 (boy did the tongues wag for the next few months).

We both picked out our rings.

#15 ·
We got engaged in December of 1998 but didn't get married until Sept 2001....my dh picked out the engagment ring all by himself...its a 1/2 caret marguite(sp). We picked out the bands together a few weeks before the wedding.

#17 ·
We had known for years that we were going to get married but it was never a set in stone time that we would do it. We finally decided in Nov 95 that we would get married in May 96. We did not do engagement rings but we picked out wedding rings together.

#19 ·
My engagement ring was a pacifier!!

We were "promised" for a few years (and a couple of kids) before we got married....we couldn't afford rings for a while - then one St. Pattie's Day he took the kiddos to the mall to pick out my engagement ring! (real romantic taking your own children to buy their mother an engagement ring!!) They chose an emerald cut emerald (!) that I still adore but cannot wear - then when we were remarried in front of a real preacher, we had real wedding bands that we chose together - they were specially made in Ireland just for us! :patty:

#23 ·
We were never officially engaged with a ring and all. He asked me if I would marry him one AM while I was making breakfast, and I was kinda like "yeah, how many egss do you want?" I know, real romantic, huh? We were seeing each other about 9 months, and he was hinting at it after about a month. But I knew he was the one I was going to marry before we even started officially seeing each other (he was living with someone else for 12 years, and I was seeing someone else, so we had our own "home work" to take care of first.). So we got married exactly one year to the day we were officially a couple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.