Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wesley got into a fistfight today. With every single member of his baseball team. One player kept laughing at him and Wesley had finally had enough and snapped. Of course, we have disciplined him and had the talk about defending yourself and the appropriate time to raise your hands to someone.

On the inside though, I couldn't help but laugh a bit. Here is this tiny little 4 year old and his fists were just aflying like a kung-fu warrior. :fight:

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Hopefully he learns when it appropriate to defend himself like that and when not to. Poor little guy...I think I'd want to sock somebody if he/she kept laughing at me and annoying me.

Reactions: mamamia

·
Registered
569 Posts
Oh, those moments are so precious!

A teachable moment, but yeah, you can't help but laugh!

·
19,119 Posts
Mahalo for sharing Wesley's stories and antics with us!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
That is just toooo cute MrsMcD. Thanks......Um....did you also tell him that you do this type of thing when the 'odds are in your favor".......not a TEAM against one??? :laugh:

but I do have a question.........where was the coach when all this was going on? why was he allowing the player to laugh at him?

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The coach is oblivious, sadly. She has no clue what is going on. We've already had one confrontation with her regarding her inability to follow simple directions and call/email me regarding everything instead of Zac.

Zac didn't go to the game today due to working an extra shift, but he is going to the game tomorrow. I want him to watch and see the interactions Wesley has with the other kids before I speak to the coach. I want to make sure I am not overreacting or that Wesley was just having an overly sensitive day.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I am glad to hear that he defended himself. A great teachable moment but so funny taking on a whole team like that! :)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
The coach is oblivious, sadly. She has no clue what is going on. We've already had one confrontation with her regarding her inability to follow simple directions and call/email me regarding everything instead of Zac.

Zac didn't go to the game today due to working an extra shift, but he is going to the game tomorrow. I want him to watch and see the interactions Wesley has with the other kids before I speak to the coach. I want to make sure I am not overreacting or that Wesley was just having an overly sensitive day.

would love to hear what you decide to do......and get an update.

Other than a 'little chuckle' about poor Wesley......my first thought was.........why was this allowed? Isn't this part of the problem today? And is this where something can start and then escalate?

THANK GOD.....my time is done. If I was a mother of today.......I would be in JAIL in no time!!

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today's game went well. There were no incidents and the interactions between the kids were great. Wesley apologized to his coach for trying to beat up the whole team. It makes me wonder if the kid laughing at Wesley was just having a rough day and Wesley was just being a little sensitive.

Zac and Wesley had a long talk about when it is appropriate to phsyically defend yourself. The fact that he DID stand up for himself is something I am really proud of, even though I don't like the way he did it. I used to have to rescue the kid out of the middle of the McDonalds playplace tunnels because kids would be smacking at him and he wouldn't do anything. So he has grown in leaps and bound. Now we just need to fine tune his instincts.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I can just picture him swirling around with his arms sticking out hitting what comes near him. Sometimes some coaches should let someone else volunteer for that position. My daughter has a whifty spring soccer coach. She won't leave messages on my answering machine. Gotta wonder sometimes:)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Thanks for sharing that is adorable. I am glad to hear that at the next game everything went okay.

·
27,948 Posts
You are a good Mom Nichole! It must have been something and I can just picture him talking about it in that little boy voice you've mentioned so many times. :heartsm:

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Mahalo for sharing Wesley's stories and antics with us!!
I agree with MM. I get the biggest kick out of little Wesley!

Takes me back to when my boys were little, and we went through all of this.

God definitely knows what he's doing, giving you kids when you're young. I don't think my heart could take it now! LOL!

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
The most succinct way I've ever heard it put is, "Son, never start a fight, but always finish one."

So once Wesley learns that words are not an excuse to start a fight, he'll be good to go if he learns that rule too. :)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
LOL. Glad he appologized for trying to beat up the whole team. That will show them to laugh at a 4 year old. Oh, the image is price less. lol

·
Registered
867 Posts
Glad no one was hurt or needed to be. Do you think pre-deployment stress might be part of this?

Reactions: McD

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad no one was hurt or needed to be. Do you think pre-deployment stress might be part of this?
That's a good point Mek. We have started mentioning how Daddy will be going to Afghanistan soon. Zac's work schedule is crazy right now. The pd does a schedule of 6 days on, 3 days off, 6 on, 3 off, 6 on, 3 off, then a 6 on 2 off. This month, because of the way his drill weekend for the Guard falls, Zac only has 5 days off. He's also on 2nd shift, which is 3-11. He only gets off at 11 if evrything is done. Since he got into an altercation with a gang member last night, he didn't get home until 2:30. So he is sleeping when we get up in the morning and we're alseep when he gets home. If he gets to come home for dinner it's only about a 20-45 minute dine and dash. I know Wesley has started talking about how he misses his daddy a lot.

Thanks for bringing this up, Mek.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Good luck Mrs. McD! You'll probably need to take more time than many other parents to properly train the wee one in the proper use of force due to his father, your husband, being employed in not just one, but two occupations that are all about the employment of force.

Even if he doesn't say or even himself know consciously, there may be some "I'm doing what daddy does" going on in his growing head. Now's a good age to be nipping things in the bud though, and it sounds like you got a sound head on your shoulders to be able to figure this all out. Best of luck and hope all goes well!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts