Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the last time I posted about my electric bill I still wasn't happy about it. In our coldest month the bill was over $200. Then last month it dropped to $155.00. Well my hubby put in a new to us furnace that is way more efficient, but had been given to us. I got the new electric bill today and I am doing a happy dance! Let me explain that also, with the installation of the new to us furnace we no longer had to use the electric baseboard heaters. Now are you ready? Our usage for this last month went down to $77.00. Woo Hoo!!!! Our bill wasn't that low over the summer last year and we don't have central air. I am so happy!!!

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Wow that is great, I hope to soon be getting a new furnace too! :)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been so long since I saw an electric bill under $100 I forgot what it was like.
Hope you get your new furnace soon Tracy. I can't believe the difference!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am doing the happy dance again. My bill this time is down to $68.94. Woo Hoo!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
That is great Kathy! We are doing the happy dance with you too :dancing: .

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Thanks for posting this. We have a 20 year old furnace that doesn't seem to be doing the trick and is costing us anywhere from $65cdn/mth in summer to $350/mth. in winter to heat the house. I hadn't thought that the age of the furnace would affect our actual heating costs. Just figured the climate here would do that! Guess I needed that wake up call! Now I'll talk more seriously with DH about it.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
What a great savings!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for posting this. We have a 20 year old furnace that doesn't seem to be doing the trick and is costing us anywhere from $65cdn/mth in summer to $350/mth. in winter to heat the house. I hadn't thought that the age of the furnace would affect our actual heating costs. Just figured the climate here would do that! Guess I needed that wake up call! Now I'll talk more seriously with DH about it.
Hey Peanut,
I didn't realize how much electricity was being used by our furnace until we switched out the old one for the new to us one. It has an electronic ignition, so no more pilot light either. It cycles a little bit longer, but much more efficiently, therefore using less electricity.
One thing I did and hubby hasn't complained too muc about it, I turned off the big light on the pole barn at night. Before we didn't have any lights to turn on to illuminate the driveway at night, so it was just that huge pole barn light. Now I only turn on the light outside the door at night. We live in the country and it gets dark around here at night, so we need a little something. I think that pole barn light was costing us $10 a month. I am trying to find other ways to save electricity too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts