Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DD wants to get her belly button pierced once she reaches 18. I don't mind that as much as I do tattos which are pemanent unless you spend hundreds of dollars to get removed. I just hope she doesn't want to get her lip or eyebrow pierced.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Piercings really depend on the person. Belly button seems a bit played out though.

I used to have an industrial piercing which I LOVED but took out a while ago because it was SO much maintenance and I could never comfortably sleep on my right side again.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I got a tattoo when I was 16 (w/ parental permission) and my eyebrow pierced shortly after. I ended up taking the eyebrow piercing out because it got infected. I have also had my tongue pierced, which I also took out after a few years. I think both tattoos and piercings are fine - a way to express yourself.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I used to have my nose pierced, I loved it, but it would just never heal so I finally took it out. It hurt TERRIBLY to have it done. I would do it again if I knew it would heal properly. If it were my kids, i would allow piercings but no tattoos, because of the permanency of them.

·
27,948 Posts
I have a loved one who just got a belly piercing. It's healing fine and truth be told, if I had a nice flat belly I'd have one too. I'm not a fan of tats myself...if you change your mind about a piercing you just take it out, tats are more permanent. Plus with tat's you are injecting a paint/dye into your body...
I think the piercing is a nicer way to celebrate a little independance. Happy Birthday to her.:)

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I have both, a belly button piercing and a tatoo of a ladybug on my left ankle, if my children told me they wanted a tatoo I would try to talk them out of it but I am fine with piercings but only until they are old enough 16+.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I've got both also - both are addictive :D

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I have 2 tatoos and nobody would ever know if I didnt tell. I think thats the way to go with a first one. As far as your daughter wanting piercing I think Its fine aslong as she doesnt so one of those that makes a giant hole that will look gross for ever.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually think the belly button thing is kind of cute but only if you have a nice flat tummy. With my I've had three kids and one of them by c-section, no way for me.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I went with my cousin to get her belly button pierced 10 years ago. I had eaten a piece of pizza and drank one beer before we went. She asked me to look over at it once the finished. I saw a tiny drop of blood and (this is gross, but funny) I projectile vomitted across the room and then passed out.

The guy who did the piercing said it was the first time someone who was only watching had gotten sick. He then handed me paper towels and a bucket. Once we were leaving he then requested I not come back since I had such a weak stomach.

He later became one of best tippers I had when I was bartending.

The point of my story.....no piercings for me.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I would like for my DDs to have their belly buttons pierced, but THEY DON'T WANT TO. If my tummy was a little flatter, I'd just go get mine done. My Dstepson has had his ears, tongue and eyebrow pierced and he has multiple tatoos. I'm not that big of a fan of tatoos. He had a tribal band around the top of his arm, it was fine. But now he has some Japanese letters, a Bhudda and a fish that are really huge. He also has 1/2 of a cross. He got into some touble and was in jail/boot camp for a year and he got the cross there. The other guy got out before he got the cross finished.

·
Registered
902 Posts
alright...I am the old lady on this subject....EEEWWWWWW!!!! This is just a form of mutilation to me. At least tatoos can be termed an art form...some are really pretty. Things hanging out of your nose, tongue, (or worse....gross to me.)
I spent $7000 on DD#1 orthodontics-she put one of those "dumbbell" things in her tongue and chipped 2 teeth.
This is just my humble opinion of course.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Same as tats, I don't care for them on anyone. With a young adult though, I would be much more comfortable with piercings; they don't have to be permanent.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I don't like body piercings. I do prefer them to tatoos, because they aren't permanent but still my usual reaction is: ew, why would you do that?

I may not be the best judge though. Those studs in people's earlobes (the huge ones, not sure what they're called) actually make me sick to my stomach. :yucky:

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I spent $7000 on DD#1 orthodontics-she put one of those "dumbbell" things in her tongue and chipped 2 teeth.
This is just my humble opinion of course.
DD's braces are costing $180 a month and she had better not put anything like that on her tongue and ruin her teeth. I could not stand to have anything like that on my tongue.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have four children, all of whom have piercings, tattos or both. We didn't allow anything except ear pierces until they were adults. Unfortunately, they can do as they wish after turning 18.

One daughter has two tattos, no piecings. One daughter has pierced ears and several tats. Son has one tat and pierced nipple that I believe has healed shut. The other daughter has both ears mutiply pierced (at least 10 on each side) included cartilage, tongue, belly button, both nipples and her nose. Thank goodness she respects herself enough to not have eyebrow or lip piercing.

Do I approve? No, not to most of it. But I wouldn't disown them because of them. After adulthood it is their body and they can do as they wish.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have both. :)

I have gauged ears (meaning bigger then normal peircings) my 3 holes are 10g, 12g, 14g (14g being a belly ring size and as the numbers go down the holes get bigger.) Pretty soon I will gauge them up again. It's a slow process, having to wait a couple months in between so I don't rip anything.

I had an industrial but took it out after a year and 1/2 because it was always causing problems.

I had my belly pierced when I was 16 and took it out a year later when I got pregnant. It was actually my moms idea in the first place. Haha. I have thought about getting it repeirced but really, my stomach is not as flat as it was then now that I have 2 kids. Haha.

I have a tattoo on my left arm that says "love laugh live". I will be getting a few more within the next couple of months. My Dh learned to do tattoos :D and he did his first one on himself just a few hours ago.

This picture is from when I still at my industrial but it shows my lovely ears so you kind of get an idea on the size of my rings.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts