Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you don't get the full value for your items but how much is the usual? We have a cash converters down the road. We also have a ton of things that they take, ie. old computer monitor, old stero, old keyboard, playstation, nintendo, DVD's etc.

There are things that I'm going to sell on Ebay, like DH's computer parts because we can get a really good return for them.

Has anybody else done this?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I dont know much about pawn shops. What I do know is that old video games and the video game systems are not worth that much when sold as used. My ds2 has sold old video games and systems, and I was surprized at how little he got, Systems that we paid well over 100.00 for he was given around 25.00. games go for as little as few dollars. I would try to sell items yourself on ebay or privately to get the most return.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I'd definitely try Ebay or something else first. I pawned some jewelry years ago and didn't get squat for it.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
After my dad's accident he was bored sitting around the house so he opened a pawn shop with my uncle. Now this was back in the early eighties, so what they paid out may be off from what is paid out today. But, Daddy took in items for pawn at 10%-15% of the resale value. He purchased items at roughly the same percentage. It really depended on the item, demand for the item, condition, etc... Scrap gold and diamonds were the two items he paid out the most for on average. That was because he took most of it and had jewelry made for Momma and I with it.

I agree with above poster who mentioned the low resale value of video game systems and the games. With new systems coming out each year, the market is flooded with the older ones.

I think you would be better off doing a private sale or sellingon Ebay rather than going to a pawn shop. JMHO

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I would try ebay first, pawn shops only give 10-20% of the value of the items. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
There is a local group here, similar to freecycle but you can also sell items:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/durham_clean_sweep/
I would try to sell things there before going to the pawn shop. Maybe check out cash converters first to see what they will pay, then try listing it for slightly more.

Shipping costs have gotten so out of hand that many Canadians are finding ebay to be a big expensive waste of time. Unless you have something rare & valuable, you're probably better off trying to find a local buyer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts