Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bumping up my frugality level this summer and I thought for all the new members (and old) we could start a thread of your best tips for saving money? It's neat to find out what others are doing in the name of frugality because it may be something another might not have thought of!! Big or small, let's tell them all!!!:smball:

~Using my clothesline is a big money saver here
~Purchasing loss leaders at the grocery store to stock my pantry

who's next......................

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Great thread!

*Paying cash for everything!!!!

*Walking away from something you think you need or want and giving yourself time to think about it. Most times, you won't go back and buy.

*Using my clothesline outside and using my clothesracks inside to dry my clothes

*Using a/c less. This alone saved us many $$ last year.

*Walking when you can instead of hopping in your vehicle.

*Having a good stockpile and once you have a good stockpile, only purchasing loss leaders. Using coupons whenever possible, but only on items you use or know someone else can use.

I'll think of more later.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Super tips CJ, I really have to look into getting a clothes rack for in the house. Did you buy a heavy duty one (the Amish make them here) or did you get them from a department store?:smball:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Good tips! :)

*Cook from scratch
*Cut eating out down or out (if you can; I'm not that disciplined, yet)
*Stop using your cc
*Wash baggies and aluminum foil to reuse
*Drink water, instead of soda
*Wash clothes in cold water

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I like this thread! Thanks OP for starting it.:)
In addition to the wonderful suggestions above, may I add:
1. Use your library: get books, videos, dvds, read the paper all for free! Plus it's a great place to cool off on a hot summer day!
2. Combine sales a coupons and see what you can get free or close to it.
3. Eat seasonally to save money.
4. Stretch your meals with rice, pasta, bread, fruit, etc. and use less meat.
5. Trade child care with a friend.
6. Learn ingredient substitutions in your kitchen.
7. Make sun tea.
8. Put up extra produce when it is in season.
9. Check those reduced price racks for bargains.
10. If you have kids, always keep some snacks in the car to ward of those hunger pains so you can wait to get home to feed them a real meal.
11. Keep water bottles in the car also.
12. Wash your laundry in cold water.
13. Take advantage of free concerts and other free events.
14. Go yardsaling for fun and get some much needed or wanted items. I keep a running list of what I am looking for.
15. Email people instead of calling or using snail mail. Much cheaper!
16. Get together with friends for a potluck and game night or picnic and ball game! Lots of fun!
17. Set up a tent in your yard and let the kids "camp out".
18. Do big batches of breads, cookies, lasagna, soups, stews, etc. and freeze some for use later.
19. Make your own yogurt, breads, cookies, spice mixes, etc.
20. Use less detergent than the soap manufactureres call for.
21. During the summer, have your kids shower at the pool before they come home after swimming. One less shower at your house!
22. Water your garden either early in the morning or in the evening to keep the sun from evaporating all that water away so quickly.
23. Plant a garden. Even if it's in pots, you can have salad through the summer this way.
24. Compare prices and shop around! We saved $200 on our oven this way.
25. Think of ways to reuse items. We wash out our ziplock bags by turning them inside out and running them through the hot water wash in the washing machine and then hanging them to dry.
26. Conserve energy in your home.
27. Make time to laugh and have fun with your family!
28. Get rid of some of your magazine subscriptions. You can find lots of free subscriptions online.
29. Take advantage of internet coupons and deals!!!
30. Shop thrift stores, yard sales and auctions for things. We've got some beautiful antique furniture and dishes this way along with clothing, books, garden tools, kitchen appliances, videos, etc.
31. Be thankful for all that God has blessed you with!!!!

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Heather, when we lived in the city, dh hung clothesline in our basement and I used it during the winter months.

When we moved here, I found an old clothes rack in the garage, brought it in and cleaned it up and then I purchased one at Walmart. Thats the only place I could find one except Canadian Tire and the one from Canadian Tire was pretty flimsy, albeit the one from Walmart isn't much better!!

I like the old ones that are so much better built.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
i would like to add a tip i used when employed or in school..pack a lunch and i kept my desk stocked with oatmeal(instand i got free or real cheap) fruit, and candy ect..this has saved me$ big time..

by not buying lunch at school i had the money to get the new glasses with out hurting..

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Use up leftovers, I save small chunks of meat and leftover veggies in a ziploc freezer bag to use to make a pot of soup.

Cook more than one thing at a time in the oven to save some electricity.

Shop around before making an expensive purchase, check the internet, newspaper want ads, several stores, etc, to make sure you get the best deal for your money.

Keep a change jar, every penny adds up!

Recycle envelopes and used computer paper to make "notepads" for grocery lists etc.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
stay away from target :eek:

(for me at least) :D

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
If your kids don't qualify for free lunches, make them yourself. I would have to pay $20.00 a week JUST for my kids lunches if they had hot lunch every day! I let them have hot lunch once a week unless we are really strapped for cash.

Rent movies and them trade them with your friends. My sister and I and three friends do this regularly. Hey, if we have them for eight days, we can all watch them easily. What a deal!

Use powdered milk in cooking. I save 1/4 c of the cooking water from my mac and cheese and mix powdred milk iw with that instead of using fresh milk.

Buy marked down meats, bread and produce!

Buy dog goodies in bulk. Winco has pig ears and rawhide bones in the bulk food section for less than HALF of what Petco and Petsmart charges.
Petco charges $8.99/lb for bulk rawhide bones; Winco charges $3.99 for the same thing.
:eek: :eek:

Cmobine your errands if you are using the car. It will save gas AND time.

Buy a whole ham or turkey breast and have the deli slice it for you. It's waaay cheaper and you can freeze the part you're not using right away in Tupperware of zipper bags.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have 3 small children...(5 1/2 and under) hehe...I let all three of them take baths together, 1 half full bath tub..3 clean kids!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
stay home. :)

Nealy

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
LOL good one Nealy!

cook from scratch,borrow books from the library,barter useful skills for goods or services,turn out all the lights during the day,hang 99% of our laundry,let the dishes air dry in the dishwasher(it is actualy cheaper for me to run my dish washer than wash by hand go figure)home haircuts(this one is a nobrainer for me since I'm a formal hairdresser lol),stockpile loss leaders,couponing,rebates,oh AND I QUIT SMOKING!!!!!Big money saver there.

·
27,948 Posts
Pare down on extras. Do you really need call waiting or a zillion trillion TV stations? Do keep your computer connection going strong though.:)

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
What a great thread! I do a lot of comp. ads at Wal Mart. This saves me a ton of $$ on meat. I also trade magazines with a friend. We do most of the other people mentioned. Keep it up gals, I love reading what others do to save a buck!

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
My biggest savings-and least painful-have come from some simple habits I started when we decided to control the spending madness:
Most of the kids clothes come from garage sales-last weekend I found great osh kosh outfits for .50 each, they still had the $26.00 price tags on them--they'll fit Jack next year so they are in the "file" marked 3T.
I hang clothes 90% of the time, I have used the dryer about 10 times this year because it has been a damp and rainy spring.
Cut down on paper product use-use kitchen towels for everything, grocery bags for trash.
I buy really only loss leaders and mark downs-my grocery store doubles to .99, and marks down opened bags of diapers to 1/2 price. Yesterday's bread and meats that the sell by date are tomm. are steals.
I take bottles of tap water with lemon, lunches, tea bags, snacks and personal items to work, so I don't run to the convenience store.
I carry little baggies of cheerios and juice for the babies.
I give in occasionally to the little voice that tells me "You NEED that" so I don't feel to deprived.

·
Registered
71 Posts
These are great tips - thanks everyone! For my kids and I, enjoying life's simple pleasures saves us lots of money - bike riding, going to the library, baking cookies, etc. I agree with some of the sentiments expressed above that avoiding temptation can be the best money saver - for me it's staying away from Amazon.com!

·
Registered
25 Posts
In the summer use the crockpot to cook to keep from heating up the house with the oven. Even put the crockpot out on a porch or garage to keep things cooler inside.

Never leave home without your drink. Who wants to pay a dollar for water!?!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts