Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
So far this season, all I have baked is the pecan crust for a pudding pie that is a family recipe from H's side of the family.

I am trying to hold off on going crazy on the Christmas stuff until the 1st, but then it's on... I will be baking:
-russian tea cakes/mexican wedding cookies
-chocolate chip (of course)
-oatmeal raisin
-peanut butter
  • sugar cookies (but not decorated, just dyed green and stamped with a grinch face)
  • white chocolate macadamia

I also will be doing chocolate-covered oreo cookies and a recipe we call "rhino poop" (except at Christmas when it's "reindeer poop.) That is just cornflakes stirred in melted Hershey's chocolate and chilled into big clumps.

All of the above will be from the 1st-8th, and delivered to my local family on the 8th. Later on I'll do my annual gingerbread structure, which is rarely any kind of house, and honestly less gingerbread than brownies and rice krispie treats and candy decorations (but it always makes the house smell AMAZING!!!) I am aiming to do that around the middle of the month, before H's semester ends, so he can take it to school and get his friends to eat it... we can't eat all that crap, but it is fun to make and share...

On the 22nd, I'll bake sausage rolls and cornish pasties. Some will be for my group as we drive to NC for the holiday, and the rest are for all my local family. These days they are 4 households of 2 each, plus my Dad in the nursing home, so I have plenty of people to cook for, but the packaging and delivery is less efficient than it used to be when there were only 2 stops!

On the 24th, the kids will bake something (probably chocolate chip cookies) at their grandma's house, just so we can check that box, and that night we will prep monkey bread so it just has to go straight into the oven for Christmas breakfast.

And that's the plan. :)

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Wow, Zhoen, you'll be baking up quite a storm. I feel exhausted after 1 batch of drop cookies.

The pie came out ok. I had upped the sugar from 2/3 to 3/4 since I was using tart cherries, and I should have used more. There's still half a pie left. It's not bad, but you definitely need something to drink with it.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
well I am using the charity as an excuse lol supporting them bought turtle cookies, gingerbread and a few other loaves , gingerbread cookie mix. their fruitcake too. I don't know what we are doing xmas wise yet. have bags of crushed peppermint candy canes from michaels in the freezer. so peppermint bark? or one that I did when kids were little.. mix teddy graham bears, mini marshmellows and melted choc all together make bark or drop candies. will see what kids want to do too w friends. too many allergies or trendy diets to give away to family. though have friends who would appreciate some!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I used to do some cooking with almond flour. Most stuff turned out decent, but almond flour has a lot of calories and is pretty high in fat. So I don't use it much anymore.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Can you share a recipe?
Betty Crocker snickerdoodles. My cookbook also uses about 1 tsp of vanilla extract. I think it's definitely needed.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Wow, Zhoen, you'll be baking up quite a storm. I feel exhausted after 1 batch of drop cookies.
I feel ya!

I am planning to space it all out as much as possible. One of my friends used to (before she had kids) do these MASSIVE cookie trays for DOZENS of people, and her trick was to make up a batch or two of dough each day for a month and freeze it, then thaw it all and bake in one marathon weekend. Most years I was invited to the family evening of decorating all the sugar cookies-- and they were gloriously HIDEOUS!!! Martha Stewart would NOT approve, but the little nieces had so much fun, and her one brother would deliberately make his as horrible as possible and people knew to expect that :)

So tomorrow I will start with the Russian tea cakes-- those are a favorite here. But instead of baking some now and freezing the other dough to bake later, I'll bake them all and just freeze the finished ones for a week. Then I can do one type each day and keep freezing them... as long as the kids (H included) don't raid the stash!!! :unsure:

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Zhoen, I used to thaw a pound of butter and do 3-4 batches back-to-back in an afternoon. Mix recipe #2 while #1 was baking, and so on. One stick of butter per recipe, drop cookies only. Now, with COVID, I got no use for 8 dozen cookies. Sigh.

I'm thinking of making cheddar pecan crisps (sans cayenne) and trying a variant with rosemary (since I have that this year in the garden).

Reactions: Zhoen

·
Super Moderator
20,316 Posts
Not baked, but I did finally make the Reese's peanut butter bars, which we think actually taste better than store bought. I try to resist making them because they're completely unhealthy, but it's been a few yrs. I used to be able to stash them in the freezer and make a batch last for months, but not this time.

I also made peppermint bark, another favorite.

Peppermint Bark

I pkg white almond bark
8 oz (?) hard peppermint candies (use as much as you want)
Peppermint extract to taste, maybe ½ tsp
Unwrap candies, place in empty waxy cereal bag, smash into small pieces with meat mallet. In microwave safe bowl, melt almond bark by breaking up, then cooking in microwave one minute at a time, stirring after each minute till melted and smooth. Add crushed candy and peppermint extract, stir well. Pour mixture onto wax paper and spread thin. Let sit until completely cool. Break into bite size pieces, place in airtight container. Freezes well.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I made keto almond cookies based on this recipe: Almond Crescent Cookies

Used 3T of sugar substitute and did not do the roll in powdered sugar after baking.

Reactions: Mme Homebody
21 - 33 of 33 Posts