Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if we're doing anything for New Years yet. Just wondering how many already have their plans made. Most of the time we go to my moms and let the kids pig out on crackers and cheese, and theres plenty of candy and pop (soda) for them.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Probably nothing exciting--like I always do though-I jump (literally) into the New Year. I stand on my kitchen stool (little) and when 12:00 rolls, around I jump --I don't let the New Year just benignly take over--Oh no ! I take charge of it !!
Of course, as I get older , its risky !! (smile)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
DH and I usually never do ANYTHING for new years. One time I went to time square in New York and almost died (seriously) so I will never do that again but DH and I love to go to Atlantic City (only 15 minutes away from us) so I am thinking me may go there, get a room @ the Trump Marina (love it there to!) and use our free $50 in slot dollars! :D This all depending on how much room rates are...Last time we went we got 2 free freakfast buffet, $50 in free slot dollars and a nice room for $45 a night!! It was a nice and relaxing vacation.

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Have not decided if we are going out or staying in. Usually we splurge on a fancy dinner out. But we are traveling for christmas, so I am leaning towards staying home this year.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
A tradition we have is "junk food" dinner like jalapeno poppers and fried cheese sticks.

We also have cream soda and orange soda in bottles (sometimes rootbeer). The kids think that is super neat.

Dessert is soda floats.

Reactions: AnW819

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
not sure yet. we dont do the NY eve hoopala!

either friends over for dinner w/ kids, etc. or to chautauqua to a great inn we found this past summer that allows children and has a carraige house w/ a fireplace and play some games w/ the kids.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I'll be at home, reading, cleaning, listening to my cd's, and sleeping while DH is driving for work. He volenteered since he has had the last 2 NY's off. No biggy we are too old for the party thing. Now if he were home, our NY tradition is to get bundled up really really good and take the Harley out at midnight on a 10 mile loop. Oh, am I ever glad he's working. snicker snicker.

Cat

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Dh will be working New Year's Eve til well after midnight - and I have to work New Year's Day (up at 4:30 AM) so we'll not even see each other.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Our tradition is to rent a two room suite at my favorite hotel, pack up the kids, our smaller dog, the Monopoly game, our hats, noise makers, order in a bunch of appetizers from Outback and hang out together until it's time to bust out the sparkling grape juice and our "Happy New Year" champagne flutes and toast in the new year. We decorate our room up, play Monopoly, eat and celebrate. It's really a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Our tradition is to rent a two room suite at my favorite hotel, pack up the kids, our smaller dog, the Monopoly game, our hats, noise makers, order in a bunch of appetizers from Outback and hang out together until it's time to bust out the sparkling grape juice and our "Happy New Year" champagne flutes and toast in the new year. We decorate our room up, play Monopoly, eat and celebrate. It's really a lot of fun.
That sounds so fun!! Can I come :D I want to do that!! My favorite game is monopoly...DH hates it though! Ugh!! LOL.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
The only New Year's tradition we have is that I make onion soup. I decided a few years back it's the perfect dinner for that night: you take something that can make you cry, treat it gently and slowly, it becomes mellow, you add other things to it and it becomes warm nourishment.

What more can you ask for to start a year? Tears to mellowness, and nourishment to give you strength for what is to come.

That's our only tradition!

Judi

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
The only New Year's tradition we have is that I make onion soup. I decided a few years back it's the perfect dinner for that night: you take something that can make you cry, treat it gently and slowly, it becomes mellow, you add other things to it and it becomes warm nourishment.

What more can you ask for to start a year? Tears to mellowness, and nourishment to give you strength for what is to come.

That's our only tradition!

Judi
Who knew making onion soup could be so beautiful?

Cat

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
We usually stay home. I cook a nice dinner for us and we just spend the evening relaxing.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
We usually go out to the movies with friends and then out to dinner we're home early about 8 pm to watch tv and watch the ball drop. :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
As usual, we'll be asleep by 10 New Year's Eve.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I plan on bringing the new year in with my 2 daughters at church. I was scheduled to work the ER that night but got it off. I am so shocked that someone will work for me. So singing and praising is what I will be doing. I am off on New year's day. I just hope I am not broke!! oh.....wait!!! that's payday!! Hey....what a way to bring in 2010!!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
We used to go out all the time and party it up, but now we have a little one and the dh has to work the next day.

I will watch the countdown with Anderson Cooper. (my favorite cnn journalist in the world.)

And eat drink and be merry safe and sound in my warm house. :)

(gah, I'm getting old)

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
A tradition we have is "junk food" dinner like jalapeno poppers and fried cheese sticks.

We also have cream soda and orange soda in bottles (sometimes rootbeer). The kids think that is super neat.

Dessert is soda floats.
Oh man, that sounds good. :lip: :lip:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts